• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tethra

How long did it take to clear in your other bun? I've no experience thankfully but sending more get well wishes to your brave Tethra

How long did it take to clear in your other bun? I've no experience thankfully but sending more get well wishes to your brave Tethra

When Yan had Myx he was quite unwell for around a month, but he also had a secondary respiratory infection. When Tethra had Treponema four years ago, I think he was unwell and needing Penicillin for only about two weeks in total, but I don't remember his eye being as bad then, although it was also involved. The vet today said she was still favouring Treponema as a diagnosis for Tethra.

Aww, its Tehras 2nd episode :( I didn't realise it was the same bun - & I was prob getting confused with myxi too. I'm pleased your vet is erring towards your preferred diagnosis out of the 2 possible conditions

How is Tethra doing, Omi? I was thinking of you all last night :)

He's OK. Thanks for asking :) He's still very well in himself, although probably feeling a bit "picked on" that he's having so much erm ....attention from the human :lol:

He's looking decidedly scabby :) Largest nodule, which had scabbed and then scab fallen off, still is a pink hole albeit now very tiny. Tiny nodule has now scabbed. Plus he is developing another extremely tiny nodule. His eye looks better to me and I wouldn't have picked up a problem with how I can see it atm. However, I know that the diagnostic drops could reveal a different picture.

We have another week of drops and Pen injections before I return him to vets a week on Monday.

Plus side is that (and I really hate saying this and tempting fate) all of the injections have gone in perfectly so far and so I feel much more confident with that procedure. He is also an extremely good patient and doesn't struggle at all ......once he's been caught :lol:

He's OK. Thanks for asking :) He's still very well in himself, although probably feeling a bit "picked on" that he's having so much erm ....attention from the human :lol:

He's looking decidedly scabby :) Largest nodule, which had scabbed and then scab fallen off, still is a pink hole albeit now very tiny. Tiny nodule has now scabbed. Plus he is developing another extremely tiny nodule. His eye looks better to me and I wouldn't have picked up a problem with how I can see it atm. However, I know that the diagnostic drops could reveal a different picture.

We have another week of drops and Pen injections before I return him to vets a week on Monday.

Plus side is that (and I really hate saying this and tempting fate) all of the injections have gone in perfectly so far and so I feel much more confident with that procedure. He is also an extremely good patient and doesn't struggle at all ......once he's been caught :lol:

All sounds good, though I wasn't expecting him to be developing new nodules?

I'm also glad his eye is looking better. Hopefully it will mean that the suspicion of 'something else' will be receding.

I'm glad you're mastering the injections! A good skill to have, although hopefully you'll not be needing it for a very long time after Tethra is better :D

All sounds good, though I wasn't expecting him to be developing new nodules?

I'm also glad his eye is looking better. Hopefully it will mean that the suspicion of 'something else' will be receding.

I'm glad you're mastering the injections! A good skill to have, although hopefully you'll not be needing it for a very long time after Tethra is better :D

No, I expected that the Pen would have stopped the nodule development :( It is very tiny, so let's hope this will be the final one.

Regarding the injections, I'm wondering whether Depocillin is much easier and less cloggy than Duphapen :? I've always had Duphapen before and the consistency of this seems just so much thinner by comparison.

Could I just have a bit of reassurance please?

Did Tethra's injection this morning and noticed a teeny tiny nodule in the area where I give the injections (scruff) :( It is very tiny, but is raised. Is this because I have used the same place too often and have now cause a local reaction? I obviously did it further round to the middle today. I am hoping that this will just clear up by itself ?

Could I just have a bit of reassurance please?

Did Tethra's injection this morning and noticed a teeny tiny nodule in the area where I give the injections (scruff) :( It is very tiny, but is raised. Is this because I have used the same place too often and have now cause a local reaction? I obviously did it further round to the middle today. I am hoping that this will just clear up by itself ?

Yes, this will be a reaction to the injection - a swelling which should disappear when you begin to use other areas. It's sometimes difficult (particularly in small rabbits) to find other areas when injections are carried on for years! (not that Tethra's will of course :))

Yes, this will be a reaction to the injection - a swelling which should disappear when you begin to use other areas. It's sometimes difficult (particularly in small rabbits) to find other areas when injections are carried on for years! (not that Tethra's will of course :))

Thanks :) Tethra's a chunky boy, so I'm sure I can find other areas, at least for a short while anyway :)

I hope tethra is getting better, you have both been through a lot. Im glad i dont have to give injections i would be a nervous wreck and probably faint. I love to give blood to help others but faint at least 3 times every time i do lol.. petrified of needles, well any medical professional really :lol: Tethra is a lucky boy.

I hope tethra is getting better, you have both been through a lot. Im glad i dont have to give injections i would be a nervous wreck and probably faint. I love to give blood to help others but faint at least 3 times every time i do lol.. petrified of needles, well any medical professional really :lol: Tethra is a lucky boy.

I think Tethra most definitely considers himself very unlucky at the moment :lol: He knows that when it comes to just one out of three being picked up and medicated, he pulls the short straw every time at the moment :lol: The other two by comparison have become quite blase about it all and just watch, knowing that it won't be them.

I think actually you would get used to giving injections once you'd done a few :)

i hope i never have to try. Im glad blitzen is very placid because he is being naughty enough. If it was tiggi i would have to wear a metal suit, she nudges hard if im rude and dont ask her for permission before i touch her :lol:

i hope i never have to try. Im glad blitzen is very placid because he is being naughty enough. If it was tiggi i would have to wear a metal suit, she nudges hard if im rude and dont ask her for permission before i touch her :lol:

:lol:

When I was giving my little boy lifelong injections, he sat calmly on the table each time, and then turned his head to one side at the end of each injection for his dose of Metacam. I think he was an angel rather than a rabbit :love:

:lol:

When I was giving my little boy lifelong injections, he sat calmly on the table each time, and then turned his head to one side at the end of each injection for his dose of Metacam. I think he was an angel rather than a rabbit :love:

:love: he was both xx

Back