• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tethra

:lol:

When I was giving my little boy lifelong injections, he sat calmly on the table each time, and then turned his head to one side at the end of each injection for his dose of Metacam. I think he was an angel rather than a rabbit :love:

Thats amazing. Blitzen was really bad yesterday evening just having a bath, and trying to use the clippers was impossible, i give up and used scissors. Im hoping he learns to just tolerate the bath now it wont take as long. hope tethra is ok this morning.

Well I took my poor scabby soldier off again for a vet check again this morning.

She spent a very long time looking at his eye :( I think if I'd have been him I would have bitten her hard. It must have been so uncomfortable. On first examination she thought the iris was very slightly deformed. However, once she'd looked with several different lenses and also used the diagnostic drops, she was satisfied that it looked the same as the other side (phew!). I didn't like to ask if he's therefore got two deformed irises. She was much happier about it once she'd used the drops and said that there was still slight cloudiness and some scarring around the edges. Overall though she said that the Maxitrol is in fact working and the eye is showing improvement, but it's not completely better yet. So, I'm to continue with the Maxitrol 3 times a day and the Penicillin injections now only twice a week instead of every other day. Both meds to be continued for 4 weeks and then she wants to see his eye again.

We had a chat about what it actually is :) She's still not really sure apart from considering it to be a virus of some sort. She is treating the eye for Uveitis, but said that isn't usually present with Treponema. She's ruled out Myx. I reminded her that when he had it 4 years ago, when it was diagnosed by her as Treponema, he had the same eye problem. Then I remember, as now, she was musing that she has known EC produce similar eye symptoms, but she has never known EC produce nodules, so it's all still a mystery really. She said she was considering that the virus could have hit his immune system allowing EC to surface. She also said that once a rabbit has had Treponema he usually has life long immunity. She also said and I agreed that there's not much point doing a blood test for EC due to its unreliability.

So all in all, I'm happy. Tethra's happy apart from when he's interfered with. As my vet said, if we can keep it away for another four years then we're doing OK :)

Well I took my poor scabby soldier off again for a vet check again this morning.

She spent a very long time looking at his eye :( I think if I'd have been him I would have bitten her hard. It must have been so uncomfortable. On first examination she thought the iris was very slightly deformed. However, once she'd looked with several different lenses and also used the diagnostic drops, she was satisfied that it looked the same as the other side (phew!). I didn't like to ask if he's therefore got two deformed irises. She was much happier about it once she'd used the drops and said that there was still slight cloudiness and some scarring around the edges. Overall though she said that the Maxitrol is in fact working and the eye is showing improvement, but it's not completely better yet. So, I'm to continue with the Maxitrol 3 times a day and the Penicillin injections now only twice a week instead of every other day. Both meds to be continued for 4 weeks and then she wants to see his eye again.

We had a chat about what it actually is :) She's still not really sure apart from considering it to be a virus of some sort. She is treating the eye for Uveitis, but said that isn't usually present with Treponema. She's ruled out Myx. I reminded her that when he had it 4 years ago, when it was diagnosed by her as Treponema, he had the same eye problem. Then I remember, as now, she was musing that she has known EC produce similar eye symptoms, but she has never known EC produce nodules, so it's all still a mystery really. She said she was considering that the virus could have hit his immune system allowing EC to surface. She also said that once a rabbit has had Treponema he usually has life long immunity. She also said and I agreed that there's not much point doing a blood test for EC due to its unreliability.

So all in all, I'm happy. Tethra's happy apart from when he's interfered with. As my vet said, if we can keep it away for another four years then we're doing OK :)

Wow that's a very in-depth and interesting update Omi :D

So because he had Treponema four years ago, he *should* have had lifelong immunity. But seems like that didn't happen in Tethra's case? Or it's possibly still not 100% typical Treponema?

E.C. induced uveitis - I have experience of this, and I don't believe it produces nodules either. Not that I've ever known or heard of.

But good that his eye is looking better. Or at least as good as the other one :D

Still a bit of a mystery, but whatever, he's getting better so that's all that matters :D

AFAIK immunity does not follow after a Rabbit has had Treponematosis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

Ocular syphilis can occur, so I guess it's possible that Treponematosis can also affect the eye of an infected Rabbit

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/article/how-to-recognize-ocular-syphilis

Despite all the mystery regarding a definitive diagnosis it sounds as though Tethra is doing OK and that he's responding well to treatment. I bet his appetite has still not been effected !! True to Rex form :lol:

AFAIK immunity does not follow after a Rabbit has had Treponematosis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

Ocular syphilis can occur, so I guess it's possible that Treponematosis can also affect the eye of an infected Rabbit

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/article/how-to-recognize-ocular-syphilis

Despite all the mystery regarding a definitive diagnosis it sounds as though Tethra is doing OK and that he's responding well to treatment. I bet his appetite has still not been effected !! True to Rex form :lol:

Thanks for the links. I can't get the Twycrosszoo one to open for me, either by following your link or trying to go directly to the website via google. I did look at several other sites though and it seems the advised treatment varies also, Tethra having had loads more Penicillin. FHB has even said that Treponematosis can flare up as part of RHD2 if the rabbits are vaccinated (mine aren't yet) :shock: The information on Ocular Syphilis was interesting. Anyway, as I haven't got a definitive diagnosis and tbh google images of it don't really look very much like what we have here, I'm just focussing on the fact that he's improving.

You'd win your bet every time :lol: No, his appetite has not been affected.

Thanks for the links. I can't get the Twycrosszoo one to open for me, either by following your link or trying to go directly to the website via google. I did look at several other sites though and it seems the advised treatment varies also, Tethra having had loads more Penicillin. FHB has even said that Treponematosis can flare up as part of RHD2 if the rabbits are vaccinated (mine aren't yet) :shock: The information on Ocular Syphilis was interesting. Anyway, as I haven't got a definitive diagnosis and tbh google images of it don't really look very much like what we have here, I'm just focussing on the fact that he's improving.

His excuse being that he needs to keep his strength up to fight the infection. His huge appetite has absolutely nothing to do with being a typical greedy Rex !! :lol:

Im glad tethra is improving. I would also be happy with improvement without knowing the cause. The poor boy had been through the wringer hasnt he? You have been an amazing bunny mummy to him and im sure he knows it. xxx continued vibes for you and tethra xxx

That's really interesting Omi, as I hadn't heard FHB say that :)

Just wondering, is there no RHD2 vaccination available yet in your neck of the woods?

That's really interesting Omi, as I hadn't heard FHB say that :)

Just wondering, is there no RHD2 vaccination available yet in your neck of the woods?

Well I've never been lucky enough to hear her speak, but it's in this article https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

Yes, my vet has very recently got the RHD2 vaccine and I was going to get all three done when Tethra became ill. I discussed it with her today and we agreed to wait until Tethra is better and then do all three. The case for not doing the other two early is that they could be incubating "something" from Tethra. I will get them done, but I have to say I am not entirely happy with the quantity of RHD vaccine that they will be having per year. I would be classed as a high risk area, as I have wildies all around me and in the garden occasionally, so the RHD2 would need to be done 6 monthly, plus of course the Nobivac.

Well I've never been lucky enough to hear her speak, but it's in this article https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

Yes, my vet has very recently got the RHD2 vaccine and I was going to get all three done when Tethra became ill. I discussed it with her today and we agreed to wait until Tethra is better and then do all three. The case for not doing the other two early is that they could be incubating "something" from Tethra. I will get them done, but I have to say I am not entirely happy with the quantity of RHD vaccine that they will be having per year. I would be classed as a high risk area, as I have wildies all around me and in the garden occasionally, so the RHD2 would need to be done 6 monthly, plus of course the Nobivac.

This issue really worries me too.

I have said this all along :(

If a rabbit is having two doses of RHD2, then this means three doses of RHD1. As the myxi combo vaccine seems to be working less and less well, it would seem a good idea to scrap the combo and just provide an updated and better working myxi vaccine. I realise it's not easy to produce a vaccine :)

Tethra's OK thanks :) Well he's still scabby and the eye doesn't look perfect yet, but he's fine in himself.

I've had problems accessing the forum, now sorted as you can see :D

Tethra's OK thanks :) Well he's still scabby and the eye doesn't look perfect yet, but he's fine in himself.

I've had problems accessing the forum, now sorted as you can see :D

Welcome back :wave:

Glad the boy's holding his own x

Took Tethra back for his check up and he's finally been discharged :D He's still scabby :( The vet tried to poke at the largest scab, but it was hard and stuck fast. She reckons his eye is not 100%, but she feels nothing more would be gained by continuing the eye drops. Similarly she said that she's happy there's no active virus still present, so no point in continuing with the Penicillin. She did say to hang on to the bottle though in case stopping provokes a relapse.

She was very pleased to have a very good stroke of him and said that not many rabbits allow her to do this :D I told her that it was only because he was so scared :lol:

Anyway we have now booked the RHD2 vaccination for all three.

Back