• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tethra

In what way do you find it not simple? Have they given you the drawn up syringes? (Which I do find more difficult)

Oh I just find that sometimes it clogs a bit. No, I know about drawn up syringes not being as easy and asked for the bottle to do it myself. I also take it out of the fridge to warm up and use a different needle to draw up to that which I use to inject.

I think it's the same as all rabbity medication things, I feel more confident the more I do it :)

I loathe injecting penicillin - I was always given them pre drawn up & Noodle had such thin skin it was a nightmare (even the nurses missed her loads)

Ongoing vibes for Tethra

Oh I just find that sometimes it clogs a bit. No, I know about drawn up syringes not being as easy and asked for the bottle to do it myself. I also take it out of the fridge to warm up and use a different needle to draw up to that which I use to inject.

I think it's the same as all rabbity medication things, I feel more confident the more I do it :)

I had to inject a rabbit every day for one and a half years :(
It kind of got second nature, but I never really relished doing it, I must say.

I had to inject a rabbit every day for one and a half years :(
It kind of got second nature, but I never really relished doing it, I must say.

It was Noodley I really struggled with - I have a penicillin injecting funny story but not appropriate for Tethras thread. I also get stupidly anxious about cutting the girls nails which is a new thing. Just really scared of hurting them.

Just my morning check in to ask how Mr T is doing and to top up the get well soon vibes for him xx

Not much change, which of course is good :) His eye is about the same and the very large nodule appears to be drying out and is very hard/crusty on top. Still eating well and is quite lively especially at medication time! Is at the moment munching (very speedily) on a very large dark green cabbage leaf :)

Not much change, which of course is good :) His eye is about the same and the very large nodule appears to be drying out and is very hard/crusty on top. Still eating well and is quite lively especially at medication time! Is at the moment munching (very speedily) on a very large dark green cabbage leaf :)

Good lad Tethra !! :love:

Hopefully even if it is Myxi he will have 'only' contracted a mild nodular form and he'll soon be well on the road to a full recovery xx

He's holding his own, good boy!

I'm always amazed at how quickly rabbits can process this stuff that I couldn't eat in a month of Sundays with my teeth :lol:

He's holding his own, good boy!

I'm always amazed at how quickly rabbits can process this stuff that I couldn't eat in a month of Sundays with my teeth :lol:

Yes, he does seem to be and it's a relief that he hasn't developed any secondary respiratory infection.

Tethra continues to eat well and is lively and so we're happy with his progress.

His eye has improved a bit with the drops and he's not closing the eye now. The hard and crusty scab on the larger nodule started yesterday to shrink away from the edges of the nodule, making the nodule appear smaller. Then early this morning I noticed that the scab had come right off and the area looked very pink and raw. During the day this area seems to have been pulled inwards from the centre, making a funnel-shaped, wrinkly hole. I suspect it will scar, but I'm sure no-one (rabbit or human) will mind that.

Back to the vets Monday morning.

Tethra continues to eat well and is lively and so we're happy with his progress.

His eye has improved a bit with the drops and he's not closing the eye now. The hard and crusty scab on the larger nodule started yesterday to shrink away from the edges of the nodule, making the nodule appear smaller. Then early this morning I noticed that the scab had come right off and the area looked very pink and raw. During the day this area seems to have been pulled inwards from the centre, making a funnel-shaped, wrinkly hole. I suspect it will scar, but I'm sure no-one (rabbit or human) will mind that.

This is a really good update Omi :D

It's all sounding really positive! A scarred rabbit/human shows that they have fought a battle and won, in my book :D

So pleased to hear that he seems to be doing well. I do hope that he will make a full recovery, even if he does have a scar. He'll still be a handsome Rexy lad :love:

We've been back to the vets this morning. I need to continue the eye drops and penicillin injections for another two weeks and then see her again. She's not concerned about the nodules and said the continued penicillin is more to help his eye. The eye looks less cloudy, but when the diagnostic drops were applied this morning, she could see there was still a problem. Poor boykin :(

We've been back to the vets this morning. I need to continue the eye drops and penicillin injections for another two weeks and then see her again. She's not concerned about the nodules and said the continued penicillin is more to help his eye. The eye looks less cloudy, but when the diagnostic drops were applied this morning, she could see there was still a problem. Poor boykin :(

Poor chap :cry: If he has an eye ulcer then Chloramphenicol is often more beneficial than Isathal as CMP actually penetrates the cornea where-as Isathal does not. Not sure what Eye drops Tethra is on ?

Poor chap :cry: If he has an eye ulcer then Chloramphenicol is often more beneficial than Isathal as CMP actually penetrates the cornea where-as Isathal does not. Not sure what Eye drops Tethra is on ?

He's on Maxitron 3 times a day. She said it was Uveitis and that there "could be something going on behind the eye".

Poor little one :cry:

Did she say what she thought the problem in his eye might be?

Back