• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Extraction

PS to try and tempt her to eat, and make eating easy right now, try buying a CHEAP juicer/smoothie maker at somewhere like Argos or Tesco. Them make 'smoothies' out of carrots, apple, broccolli , coriander etc etc. This can then be syringed in BUT you can also give her the 'remains' of the process - which is a sort of very very very finely grated semi-mush. Its great for getting buns to eat again.

If she has not had any Metacam then you need to call the vets tomorrow and arrange to get some as she is going to be in an awful lot of pain which, as parsnipbun has said, is why she is not eating.

Tooth removal is a drastic operation in rabbits and we only consider it in buns whose incisors need burring more frequently than every 8 weeks or who are too stressy to have it done conscious.

I have one incisorless rabbit currently and another with incisoral maloclussion. I am attempting to limit the latters issues with a new diet in the hope he can keep his incisors but time will tell.

My vets try to keep tooth extraction as a last resort....especially as there is around a 10% incidence rate of regrowth (higher with an inexperienced or squeamish vet!)

:wave: Hiya Witchy. Hope your toothless bun is feeling better this morning and is eating. I wouldn't worry too much about not being given Metacam.... my gummy buns have had their incisors removed twice and 4 times respectively :shock: and were given a long lasting, stronger painkiller than Metacam. Feeling like an expert :oops:, I asked if they needed Metacam and was told that more pain relief would only be necessary if they didn't start eating and that it wasn't a good idea to mix different pain reliefs.

My gummy buns were both eating normally within 24 hours (nothing is going to put Spike off his food :lol: ).

p.s. With the Baytril, it is best to bite the bullet and give it via syringe. Yes Opal may wriggle a bit to start off with but it only takes a matter of seconds and you know she's had the correct dose. Just give her cuddles afterwards and you should be forgiven.

Last edited:
Opal seems brighter this morning but soon cowered in the corner for half hour after her syinge of baytril. She's sniffing at food but not showing signs of taking any.

They are both still indoors in the small hutch together - I'm wondering whether, when the sun comes round onto their run, whether to put them outside in familiar surroundings - I'm wondering if being in a different place to where they normally are is adding to her unrest??

She does seem brighter this morning and Gem is getting stroppy with being in the small hutch - its not ideal for them to be in there 24-7 but it does make it quicker and less stressful for me to get in and out with a syringe for Opal.

Not quite sure what to do for the best?

I've decided that if she hasn't eaten anything by 5-6pm tonight, i.e. 24hours after being back home, then I'll get her back to the vets.

Is there any particular food that Opal absolutely can't resist? With Spike and Kiki, it's grated carrot and apple...... that's my bribery weapons to get them back in the hutch. What about finely chopped fresh herbs - I find the stronger smelling ones like basil and mint, the better.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The drug most likely given for pain relief is Buprenorphine or Vetergesic, an opiate based analgesic approx. 30 times more powerful than morphine.

However its average analgesic properties last only 12 hours after IM administration.....so if Opal is not eating and the analgesi has worn off then IMO its well worth getting her onto some Meloxicam.

Some rabbits deal with pain much better than others, if she is a sensitive bunny she is going to be feeling pretty awful right now.

I wish vets were more considerate of pain relief in bunnies.

I think it would be best if you get intouch with your vet and tell them that she still isn't eating and ask for some metacam. She loved all herbs when she was with me:D

Sorry, I disappeared after the 'she's not eating' post because I called the vet and managed to get her in for 11.30am.

Got of the phone and went and sat in my garden on the lawn with a pair of scissors - one pot of mouthful sized grass later and she's eating happily on it!! HURRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

We then took her to the vets anyway, had a check up and he gave me some stuff to keep her tummy moving (statis thingy). He gave her some of it whilst we were there, gave her a good nose rub before hand and gave her a nice talking to.

Thing is I'm not 100% sure she needs this stuff? She's pooing well and now she's home, back outside in her run with her sister, she's scoffing cut grass and hay and bits with no problem - I really don't want to mess her about by keep catching her, wrapping her with a towel and giving her this stuff if she possibily doesn't need her tummy stimulated........

Oh bunnies, don't you just love 'em.

:D That's good news... so pleased she's on the mend. How long have you got to give her the gut med for? (I presume it's metaclopromide?)

So Glad she is better?
by the way I have passed on your recommendation for Village Vets already:D
How long does it take you to get to Longstanton? Bet the cats make more fuss than the buns with the journey:lol:
Its good of them to give you discount alot of vets wont..not even to rescues:(

vibes for Opals continued improvement x

Maxolon is Metoclopromide ;)

Glad she is now on the mend :D

Janex

I've never used it orally....I was told by someone on another forum it was a different drug.

Thats my something new for the day. Im surprised I remembered at all last night, Im playing follow the drunk round the forum at the moment :roll:

Or Zantac.... they should make all bunny meds taste like that 'cos Brodys on that at the mo and can't get enough of it :lol: .

Really? Most of mine have hated Zantac but love Tagamet which I think is peach flavoured.

Silly bunsters.

I've never used it orally....I was told by someone on another forum it was a different drug.

Thats my something new for the day. Im surprised I remembered at all last night, Im playing follow the drunk round the forum at the moment :roll:

Maxolon is a Brand Name for Metoclopromide Hydrochloride.
Like 'Zantac' is a Brand Name for Ranitidine

Jill, my Buns LOVE Ranitidine Syrup too !! :lol:

Janex :)

Maxolon is a Brand Name for Metoclopromide Hydrochloride.
Like 'Zantac' is a Brand Name for Ranitidine

Jill, my Buns LOVE Ranitidine Syrup too !! :lol:

Janex :)

Now that I knew....because I asked you about the difference between Ranitidine and Cimetidine (Tagamet) when Caspian was put onto one for his poor tummy.

Is Metaclopromide Hydrochloride the same as the injection or is it only Hydrochloride when its given Orally?

Isn't the brand name for injectable Metaclop Emequell?

Now that I knew....because I asked you about the difference between Ranitidine and Cimetidine (Tagamet) when Caspian was put onto one for his poor tummy.

Is Metaclopromide Hydrochloride the same as the injection or is it only Hydrochloride when its given Orally?

Isn't the brand name for injectable Metaclop Emequell?

There are loads of brand names for injetable Metoclop :) Maxolon Injection, Reglan Injection....
Metoclopromide Hydrochloride is the active ingredient in both oral and systemic preparations

Janex

Back