• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis prone bunnies - any prevention tips?

I hope that he remains well now and that you and Martyn have a lovely holiday xx

I've been thinking of you and Ted all week and hoping for good news!

I really hope you enjoy your holiday, you so deserve it :D

Will wait to hear all about it on your return :wave:

Thanks very much, we're so grateful for your and everyone else's suggestions. I am really hoping that we've found the culprit in the fenugreek crunchies (though if it was them I'm not thrilled that we've been feeding him the treats that caused all the problems), so fingers crossed all stays well! Will report back once we've something to tell!

Hello Martlou,

I am glad Ted is doing much better and you may have discovered the reason for his stasis.

After having a stasis bunny, I know how difficult it can be to determine the cause; so I'll cross my fingers (and toes to the best of my ability) and hope that you have discovered the culprit.
Like Jane said in an earlier post--every bunny is different.
My stasis bunny was sensitive to even small changes so even when I used the same brand/type of hay or pellets I would mix the end of the old bag with the beginning of the new one so my bunny did not get 100% of the new pellets/hay all at once.
Even though my stasis bunny went to the bridge after over 13 years of being my snuggle bunny (not from stasis), I continue the practice of mixing the old and new food/hay with my current bunnies.

Thanks very much, we're so grateful for your and everyone else's suggestions. I am really hoping that we've found the culprit in the fenugreek crunchies (though if it was them I'm not thrilled that we've been feeding him the treats that caused all the problems), so fingers crossed all stays well! Will report back once we've something to tell!

Hopefully about your wonderful holiday :wave:

Thanks all, we are in sunny Florida! All is well so far with Ted and Rosie and everything crossed it stays that way!

Well we are now home from a fantastic 2 weeks in Florida. Ted and Rosie are both fine and we're so happy his little tummy has kept working properly whilst we've been away!

Interestingly my lop had similar issues with treat foods. The Rosewood breakfast cookies and treat sticks always seemed to make his digestion a bit sluggish and he always seemed to require meds a little while after these. I quickly put it together and stopped getting these for my trio which was sad for the other two but they're better off without me thinks. Dried forage, particularly plantain, helps him so they're fed a bowl regularly to prevent any digestive problems.

Also I noticed someone else had mentioned this too..rabbits are highly tuned into to us and respond to stress. Two of mine went into bad stasis just before I was due to fly to Florida for 3 weeks...nightmare. She had to be boarded at the vets that time. Sadly had to realise that I was causing it really so have had to learn to manage stress better. I'll never forget what a nightmare it was though.
I'm really hoping your little man has no more tummy issues:)

Back