• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser's hay crisis - update in Stories and Photos!

I love that idea. BUT how do you stop the bunny running after you into the downstairs cupboard and raiding the 'pellet bag' / the apple twigs/leaves bag and the treats box which he has now learnt he can open... :roll: :lol:

....build higher shelves for bunny food ;)

i really feel for you Susie, i REALLY do. I was exactly as you were, worried he's lose weight, but its amazing how quickly they can pick it up from reading on here. I joined in a period when there were about 10 -15 hay threads a week popping up, so i learnt quite quickly.

From what i've read on here, i wonder if it would be posssible to up his readigrass amount (you say he loves this?) and cut the pellets a little, as it has the same chewing effect that eating hay is (after all, hay and grass, same chewing action) then slowly decrease the reagigrass and increase regular hay.

The sample pack from 'Animal Magic Pet Supplies' is no longer available unfortunately, but they do the packs individually for 50p each :)

http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c...n_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=8496866&Page=2

Western Timothy hay (we discussed this yesterday i think?) is my pairs new favourite and smells GORGEOUS and they devour it. Might be worth trying?

Thanks! I missed this post earlier. :thumb:

Sound advice from prettylupin (as always :D) :thumb:

Btw, Alfie became a much better hay eater once Bubbles came to live with us - I don't know whether it was because he followed her example or was just worried that he had competition for his food supply and was trying to eat it before she could. :lol::lol:

Interesting, but I fear bonding is not likely. I would have taken two ready-bonded buns, but Spenser on his own was the best option for a first-time bunny mummy whose parents were not at all keen on the introduction of a pet - changed days, now.

Just updating to say I have ordered a sample pack of the hay Graham mentioned, thanks for the tip. :) I also ordered a sample of oat hay, as I think it has broad strands and might be suitable for hand-feeding when he is indoors.

Just updating to say I have ordered a sample pack of the hay Graham mentioned, thanks for the tip. :) I also ordered a sample of oat hay, as I think it has broad strands and might be suitable for hand-feeding when he is indoors.

:)

Hope that helps Susie, i'm no expert, and won't ever proclaim to be one, i just wanted to offer my experiences to you and hope they help :)

How is the lovely Spenser this morning?

:)

Hope that helps Susie, i'm no expert, and won't ever proclaim to be one, i just wanted to offer my experiences to you and hope they help :)

How is the lovely Spenser this morning?

VERY eager for his pellets. :roll::roll: I gave him a reduced portion, and will be doing some more readigrass/dandelion/plantain/hay mixing shortly. I had a slight alarm last night when he managed to nibble a plant in the conservatory, but he seems none the worse and I have blocked the plant off better.

VERY eager for his pellets. :roll::roll: I gave him a reduced portion, and will be doing some more readigrass/dandelion/plantain/hay mixing shortly. I had a slight alarm last night when he managed to nibble a plant in the conservatory, but he seems none the worse and I have blocked the plant off better.

they do like the morning pellets eh? :lol: Biscuit and Ginger are up the bars of their pens to get their's!

Enjoy the mixing, i'm sure it'll help and with reducing the pellets a little :)

:shock: @ plant, we tend to have our door at the moment being nibbled, just by Biscuit... Its a rented house too :roll:

Photo of Spenser nomming hay in Stories and Photos! I wish he had chosen something of rather better nutritional value than Pets at Home bedding hay, but all the same ...

I'm now at the point of cutting out pellets altogether on vets advice which is going to be hard as mine go absolutely NUTS for their pellets. I reduced them to about 12 each per day and it didn't take long for the hay consumption to go up big time. I'm now reducing even more and giving dried herbs alonghside with the plan that brekkie will be dried herbs once I've finished this bag of pellets next week. As others have said, they do like the standard farm bale hay (which I pinch from my horse's ration!:shock:) but they also get a selection of other hays aswell - some soft meadow stuff, excel forage and herbage (the marigold stuff is yummy), little bit of readigrass and timothy (not keen on that tho). They usually pull the bag with the farm hay over to climb into it so thats their favourite.
Be firm - its tough but worht it :D

Back