• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie went to the vets today

Oh poor bunnies, I'm sure you're forgiven now, hope the humidifier helps Sophies sniffles xx
Aw, thank you. :love:

You are such a good bunny parent! Sophie knows sulking after medication gets her treats, so she is very smart.
Aw, that's so very kind of you to say. :love: I don't see myself as their parent, but they're definitely my family. :love: And, yes, sulky bunnies get treats and she knows it.

Whenever either Sophie or Casper (or both) needs to take extra meds with a syringe, they always become super suspicious of their regular medicine pellets and won't eat them. I don't understand the logic, because nothing at all has changed about their regular meds on the pellets, but they both won't eat them. I spent over two hours last night trying to convince Casper to eat them, but he didn't fall for any of my tricks, so I eventually had to give him his Metacam with a syringe, which he didn't like. :( He was the same this morning. Happily eating everything except his pellets with Metacam. I can't wait for things to go back to normal so I don't have to hold them both to give them their meds each day. They're not happy bunnies when I have to hold them.

The humidifier was delivered today but it's quite noisy. :? The reviews were all really enthusiastic about how quiet it is and that you can't hear it, but I guess those people must not have hyperacusis like me because it sounds loud to me, and I'm sure it must sound loud to Sophie and Casper, too. I hope it doesn't stress them out, having this constant noise. I know it'll stress me out, and their hearing is even more sensitive than mine, so... :? I guess I'll just turn it off when the humidity is at a good level, rather than having it run the whole day...

awww that's a shame its noisy, I hope its really effective so you don't have to run it too much. sophie & Casper are lucky to live with someone who likes a quiet life.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with medication. But it's all for their health, I hope they get well soon. Xxxxxxx

I was also disappointed that the humidifier was noisy. Having hyperacusis must be very very difficult, I can't imagine what life is like for you. :| Also, if the humidifier is very uncomfortable, is there any chance of returning it, maybe you can get a different one?

awww that's a shame its noisy, I hope its really effective so you don't have to run it too much. sophie & Casper are lucky to live with someone who likes a quiet life.
Thank you. It's not working as fast as I would've liked, but I guess with there being no door between Sophie and Casper's room and the living room it has quite a bit of space to cover. The good news is that I haven't heard either of them sneeze so far today, so I hope that means it's helping.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with medication. But it's all for their health, I hope they get well soon. Xxxxxxx

I was also disappointed that the humidifier was noisy. Having hyperacusis must be very very difficult, I can't imagine what life is like for you. :| Also, if the humidifier is very uncomfortable, is there any chance of returning it, maybe you can get a different one?
Thank you. I'm not sure there's really a point in returning this one as it was already the quietest I could find in terms of dB produced, so I worry that if I'd get another one it'd just be worse. :( Casper seems to be fine with the noise, at least. I put the humidifier on a table and he's been sitting underneath it for most of the day, so it doesn't seem to bother him.

No sneezing is good news indeed, hopefully you and they won't notice the noise at all soon :thumb:

yay - we won't have to call Sophie by her pre adoption name after all. I'm impressed its had an effect already in that you've no more sneezes. How long is the anti-biotic course?

Whenever either Sophie or Casper (or both) needs to take extra meds with a syringe, they always become super suspicious of their regular medicine pellets and won't eat them. I don't understand the logic, because nothing at all has changed about their regular meds on the pellets, but they both won't eat them. I spent over two hours last night trying to convince Casper to eat them, but he didn't fall for any of my tricks, so I eventually had to give him his Metacam with a syringe, which he didn't like. :( He was the same this morning. Happily eating everything except his pellets with Metacam. I can't wait for things to go back to normal so I don't have to hold them both to give them their meds each day. They're not happy bunnies when I have to hold them.

Did you use same syringe for abx and medicam? IME Even after washing my bunnies can smell abx so I am sure to use different syringes for different meds.
My bunnies do not liked to be picked up yet soon calm and sit on my lap.

No sneezing is good news indeed, hopefully you and they won't notice the noise at all soon :thumb:
Thank you. :)

yay - we won't have to call Sophie by her pre adoption name after all. I'm impressed its had an effect already in that you've no more sneezes. How long is the anti-biotic course?
Ha, you remembered Sophie's very sad pre-adoption name! Yes, thankfully she won't have to turn her name back to Sneezy. The antibiotics course is 5 days, so only today and tomorrow morning left.

Did you use same syringe for abx and medicam? IME Even after washing my bunnies can smell abx so I am sure to use different syringes for different meds.
My bunnies do not liked to be picked up yet soon calm and sit on my lap.
Ooh, yes, I do use the same syringes! I do wash them after each use, but, yes, maybe the syringe still smelled like antibiotics and made Casper's Metacam smell like antibiotics... I never considered that. I'll try to stick to one syringe for the antibiotics. Thankfully, he ate his Metacam pellets like normal yesterday, so I didn't have to hold him. :)

Totally empathise on the not eating medicated pellets thing, Lopsy was a toad for leaving all the coated ones at first! Or the squishy emeprid-y ones. I did always use a different syringe for each medication though, but that's becasue I had a Metacam bottle and used the 'proper' syringe. I recall when we gave him baytril and emeprid we used different syringes then too because we weren't anywhere near a tap to rinse while medicating!

I'm really glad the humidifier seems to be workng, but I'm sorry it's noisy. I'm sensitive to sounds but not as bad as hyperacusis but I totally get it. IME the rabbits will get used to it quicker than you will :lol: There may be a position in the room that you can put it where it's less noisy, might be worth experimenting, or putting it on soft flooring (deep-pile carpet offcut) if it vibrates, I expect there might be tips online?

Totally empathise on the not eating medicated pellets thing, Lopsy was a toad for leaving all the coated ones at first! Or the squishy emeprid-y ones. I did always use a different syringe for each medication though, but that's becasue I had a Metacam bottle and used the 'proper' syringe. I recall when we gave him baytril and emeprid we used different syringes then too because we weren't anywhere near a tap to rinse while medicating!

I'm really glad the humidifier seems to be workng, but I'm sorry it's noisy. I'm sensitive to sounds but not as bad as hyperacusis but I totally get it. IME the rabbits will get used to it quicker than you will :lol: There may be a position in the room that you can put it where it's less noisy, might be worth experimenting, or putting it on soft flooring (deep-pile carpet offcut) if it vibrates, I expect there might be tips online?
Aww, Lopsy. Casper used to do that, eat all the regular pellets and leave the medicine ones. So, now he gets his medicine pellets first and when he's finished those he gets his regular pellets. Using a different syringe for each medication does sound like a good idea.

Thank you. It does seem like Casper and Sophie have gotten used to it, yes, while I definitely haven't yet. :lol: I hadn't considered that placing it somewhere else might affect the noise... I'll see if I can try putting it somewhere else. :)

Back