• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie went to the vets today

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
She's been sneezing again, and her nose was dirty today. I asked the vet if the dry air inside my apartment could be the cause of her sneezing, because I've been hearing Casper sneezing once in a while, too, and he said that was definitely likely because the dry air irritates their little noses and makes it more possible for them to develop problems. So, I really need to do something about this dry air... Her lungs sounded fine, and everything else was fine, too, so it's really just her nose that's affected, he said, but he's giving her a short course of antibiotics because he said we don't want it to get worse at her age when her immune system isn't working so well anymore. So, she won't be happy with the extra medication, I bet.

I'm sorry that Sophie has been sneezing. Your vet sounds very sensible. I hope the abx help and that you can find a way to increase the humidity.

Thank you, everyone. :love: And thank you for the article, j&b. I'm going to try some of those tips. Thank you for the link, too, IM. If the tips from j&b's article don't help enough, I'll get a humidifier.

Hope the sneezing stops soon, poor Sophie! Your plants would probably like the humidifier [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thank you, Graciee, Zoobec, and bunny momma. :love: Sounds like a humidifier is the way to go if it would make the bunnies and the plants happy. :lol:

Sophie's not very pleased with me. This morning she knew she was going to get her antibiotics again, so she hid instead of having breakfast on the sofa. After I gave her her meds she looked sad and still didn't want her breakfast. I sat with her for a little while and handfed her some pellets and she seemed to cheer up a bit, and she's been fine since then. Casper's wary of me, too, worried he's going to get gross meds as well, so he didn't want his breakfast initially, either. :(

uWWCkaqh.jpg

awww poor babies. its horrible losing their trust by having to administer meds. I'm glad it looks like you're forgiven for now. is it baytril?

Thank you, Graciee, Zoobec, and bunny momma. :love: Sounds like a humidifier is the way to go if it would make the bunnies and the plants happy. :lol:

Sophie's not very pleased with me. This morning she knew she was going to get her antibiotics again, so she hid instead of having breakfast on the sofa. After I gave her her meds she looked sad and still didn't want her breakfast. I sat with her for a little while and handfed her some pellets and she seemed to cheer up a bit, and she's been fine since then. Casper's wary of me, too, worried he's going to get gross meds as well, so he didn't want his breakfast initially, either. :(

uWWCkaqh.jpg

Yaaa so weird :lol: How do rabbits differ from each other. :D It's the opposite at Cookie now, he's crazy for the med and trying to pounce on me. :lol: :lol: Sophie and Casper need to learn from Cookie :lol: :lol:

awww poor babies. its horrible losing their trust by having to administer meds. I'm glad it looks like you're forgiven for now. is it baytril?
Yeah, it always makes me so sad to see them afraid of me. :( No, it's not Baytril, it's doxycycline. I'm not sure what that's supposed to taste like, but I'm guessing it's probably not nice...

Yaaa so weird :lol: How do rabbits differ from each other. :D It's the opposite at Cookie now, he's crazy for the med and trying to pounce on me. :lol: :lol: Sophie and Casper need to learn from Cookie :lol: :lol:
I don't think Cookie is a very typical rabbit. ;) I've never known a bunny who loves medication, aside from Metacam!

Poor Sophie and also poor Casper. It's a fact though that it's bunnies like Sophie and Casper who will survive in this world. They are the clever ones who will avoid eating poison ;)

I've ordered a humidifier. I figured I should give Sophie the best chance to recover. I'll put it in their room, so I hope it doesn't make too much noise for them. I got the quietest one I saw.

I've ordered a humidifier. I figured I should give Sophie the best chance to recover. I'll put it in their room, so I hope it doesn't make too much noise for them. I got the quietest one I saw.

You are such a good bunny parent! Sophie knows sulking after medication gets her treats, so she is very smart.

Back