• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper and Sophie are ill

I got a Pet Remedy diffuser, hoping it would calm Casper's nerves a bit, but within minutes of plugging it in Sophie has been thumping her feet a lot while sniffing the air and I've developed a headache, so I don't think it's quite a success so far!

I've got to say I'm not keen. Smell is revolting & the only time I used it was for quad bonding & Joey took a chunk out of Rudey :(

I thought it might be the antibiotics - great news they've nearly finished the course! I remember Rudey being prescribed abx (not even for anything) & going really down hill & off his food. I've felt pretty ill on some abx myself too.

I've got to say I'm not keen. Smell is revolting & the only time I used it was for quad bonding & Joey took a chunk out of Rudey :(

I thought it might be the antibiotics - great news they've nearly finished the course! I remember Rudey being prescribed abx (not even for anything) & going really down hill & off his food. I've felt pretty ill on some abx myself too.
Yeah, I'm not sure it's a keeper... If Sophie doesn't like the smell, it would be mean to have their room smell like it. I personally don't mind the smell; it smells like basil and the valerian pills I tried before I had proper anxiety meds. But rabbits have much better noses, of course... I'm sorry it really didn't work for you. Poor Rudey. :(

Aw, sounds like Rudey had the same experience with his abx, then... It really must make them feel bad, I think. That would explain why they feel better in the late afternoon and evening, too, because they get their abx in the evening before I go to bed, so the side effects must be worst at night and in the morning.

Yesterday evening they were doing a lot better, but this morning they're both pretty miserable again, poor sweeties. :( Thankfully, treatment has finished now, so I hope this'll be their last bad day.

Oh really hope that they perk up now the meds have finished, sending lots of perky vibes for them xx

Yesterday afternoon and evening they were feeling better, but this morning they were both feeling poorly again, despite not having gotten the Baycox last night, so maybe it's not the medication after all...? They did seem a bit better than previous mornings, so I hope that means they're improving. They just left for Sophie's laser appointment and they had perked up a bit, so I hope they'll have a better appetite when they come back. They'd left most of their greens from last night again, so they must've not felt well through the night, either.

Yesterday afternoon and evening they were feeling better, but this morning they were both feeling poorly again, despite not having gotten the Baycox last night, so maybe it's not the medication after all...? They did seem a bit better than previous mornings, so I hope that means they're improving. They just left for Sophie's laser appointment and they had perked up a bit, so I hope they'll have a better appetite when they come back. They'd left most of their greens from last night again, so they must've not felt well through the night, either.

Really hoping they feel themselves soon Reader & get their full appetites back

Casper and Sophie haven't improved, sadly. If anything, they're feeling worse, as yesterday they didn't start eating more later in the day like they've been doing for the past couple of days. They did eat some through the night as I got up a few times to encourage them to eat, but this morning they're not really eating much. The vet said yesterday to syringe feed them if I don't think they're getting enough food inside them, so I've been doing that. They've taken the syringe food willingly and seem hungry, so I don't understand why they're not just eating on their own. :(

So sorry to hear this, can't offer any ideas really, but glad they are taking the syringe feeds. Sending lots more vibes for them, really hope they pick up soon xxx

Thank you so much, Zoobec, Pets mum, and MoonHare. It's very much appreciated. :love:

They've both been taking their syringe feed well today, and Sophie has eaten some greens, and Casper some hay. They're still not eating much on their own, though.

I'm pleased at least they are taking their feeds well. I hope they eat more normally soon. Its strange how ill bunnies take syringe feeds so well but good that they do obviously. Sending lots more vibes

I'm pleased at least they are taking their feeds well. I hope they eat more normally soon. Its strange how ill bunnies take syringe feeds so well but good that they do obviously. Sending lots more vibes
Thank you for the vibes and hoping they'll eat more normally soon, j&b. Casper usually is either really awful at taking syringe feeds or really easy, so I'm glad it's easy this time! When Sophie was younger she'd bite the syringe tips off, but thankfully she doesn't do that anymore.

Oh bless them sending lots of vibes for them.

Is there building work or a change in outside noises during the day or something like that might be upsetting them?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Thank you for the vibes and hoping they'll eat more normally soon, j&b. Casper usually is either really awful at taking syringe feeds or really easy, so I'm glad it's easy this time! When Sophie was younger she'd bite the syringe tips off, but thankfully she doesn't do that anymore.

Rudey did that & ate it, right in front of me but I couldn't get to it.

Popped on to see if Sophie & Casper are any better today?

Rudey did that & ate it, right in front of me but I couldn't get to it.

Popped on to see if Sophie & Casper are any better today?
Oh, no, he ate it! Gosh, that must've been worrying!

Thank you for asking. :love: They've been eating more greens than they have all week, and their poops are looking better, so there's some improvement, thankfully.

Back