• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casper and Sophie are ill

Yay. two huge positives:love:
Yes. :love: I'm still really worried, though. They're eating a bit more, but not nearly as much as they should. I know progress can be really slow with these things, though... They seem happy enough, at least. Sophie dragged a bowl of dried plantain half across the room until she found a comfortable place to eat, silly girl.

Nice to hear that they are eating a bit more, really hope that continues, love to worry us at times don't they :?

I know it must be very worrying, I’m wondering if they could be still feeling the after effects of the Baycox, and also the extra handling involved in it all. The additional cleaning you might have had to do might have affected them, and I know from having a previous dental bunny that the whole process of having to syringe feed them and give them meds can take a while for them to shrug off. I had the Nethie glare from Frosty for about an hour after each incident :lol: they are such sensitive souls :love:

Nice to hear that they are eating a bit more, really hope that continues, love to worry us at times don't they :?
Thank you, Pets mum. :love: They certainly are very good at it. ;)

I know it must be very worrying, I’m wondering if they could be still feeling the after effects of the Baycox, and also the extra handling involved in it all. The additional cleaning you might have had to do might have affected them, and I know from having a previous dental bunny that the whole process of having to syringe feed them and give them meds can take a while for them to shrug off. I had the Nethie glare from Frosty for about an hour after each incident :lol: they are such sensitive souls :love:
Yeah, I think it might still be after effects of the Baycox... I'm not sure what else it could be. And the extra handling can't be helping, you're right. I tried to make the cleaning as stress free for them as possible by doing it while they were at the vets and by putting everything back the way it was (thankfully, I've just started a new medication for my ME which is really helping, or I wouldn't have been able to!), but they must've noticed some things were different anyway. But, yes, the cleaning and the medicating and the syringe feeding, it's a lot for them, so I'm probably expecting too much too soon. I'm glad Frosty always let you know what he thought of the whole thing. :lol: They are very sensitive, you're right. :love:

I'm sitting on the floor with them and I made the treat noise a few minutes ago and Casper came hopping over for a piece of dried cucumber! He had a few, and then hopped off and started eating his greens. :love: The Sophie came over for some dried sunflower petals and she ate some dried plantain and hay after that. :love:

Yes, they're doing really well! :love: They've really started eating much, much better since my last post! I won't even have to syringe feed them before bed, they're eating so well. :love: Sophie even came to the kitchen just now to get her Joint Support tab and her syringe of Metacam. :love:

Yes, they're doing really well! :love: They've really started eating much, much better since my last post! I won't even have to syringe feed them before bed, they're eating so well. :love: Sophie even came to the kitchen just now to get her Joint Support tab and her syringe of Metacam. :love:

That's really good news! Hope you can sleep better tonight :)

Brilliant, I hope there are no reasons to worry tomorrow and they continue to stuff their cute little faces

What a nice update on the buns. Sending vibes they will conti ue to do well for a long time. It is nice to hear your new med allowed you to clean and sit on the floor to interact with bunnies, the best medicine!

That's really good news! Hope you can sleep better tonight :)
Aw, thank you, Pets mum. :) I slept pretty awfully, unfortunately, but at least it gave me the chance to keep an eye/ear on Sophie and Casper throughout the night, and each time I woke up I could hear somebunny eating. :love:

Brilliant, I hope there are no reasons to worry tomorrow and they continue to stuff their cute little faces
Thank you, j&b. They've definitely been stuffing their cute little faces! They're doing really well today! :love:

What a nice update on the buns. Sending vibes they will conti ue to do well for a long time. It is nice to hear your new med allowed you to clean and sit on the floor to interact with bunnies, the best medicine!
Aw, thank you. Yes, I'm so gratefuly for my new meds. When I'm very ill I can't spend as much time sitting with them as I'd like to, which always makes me sad, because you're right, being with them is the best medicine. :love:

I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but they're all back to normal today. :love: They've both been eating a lot! It's like while I was sitting with them yesterday some switch got flipped and they suddenly felt a lot better, both at the same time. It's pretty weird! But I'm not complaining. :love: Now the only issue is that they've both been sneezing since this weekend, so the vet is taking a look at them tomorrow, but I really hope they won't have to get right back onto antibiotics!

I'm really pleased to hear they are still eating well. I'm so pleased your on better medication for your ME now too:love:

I'd be tempted to fight the case for no antibiotics unless they are producing discharge or wheezy. Well maybe not fight it but make sure your vet is aware of your concerns with them only just getting their appetite back & gives a really good case for using them

I hate to think what your vet & toy expenses are :shock:

I'm really pleased to hear they are still eating well. I'm so pleased your on better medication for your ME now too:love:

I'd be tempted to fight the case for no antibiotics unless they are producing discharge or wheezy. Well maybe not fight it but make sure your vet is aware of your concerns with them only just getting their appetite back & gives a really good case for using them

I hate to think what your vet & toy expenses are :shock:
Thank you so much. :love:

Yes, I'll let the vet know I'm concerned about them going on antibiotics when they've only just been feeling better. Casper and Sophie do tend to get sneezy at times, so it might just be that their immune system isn't at 100% with them having been ill. On the other hand, a respiratory tract infection at their age would be pretty bad, so I do want to take it seriously.

I try not to think about it too much. :lol: It's €40 a week for Sophie's laser therapy alone, though that's pretty reasonable, I think. It doesn't help that they always tend to get sick at the same time. But I often buy toys when they're on sale, so that saves a bit of money.

Thank you so much. :love:

Yes, I'll let the vet know I'm concerned about them going on antibiotics when they've only just been feeling better. Casper and Sophie do tend to get sneezy at times, so it might just be that their immune system isn't at 100% with them having been ill. On the other hand, a respiratory tract infection at their age would be pretty bad, so I do want to take it seriously.

I try not to think about it too much. :lol: It's €40 a week for Sophie's laser therapy alone, though that's pretty reasonable, I think. It doesn't help that they always tend to get sick at the same time. But I often buy toys when they're on sale, so that saves a bit of money.

Yes of course its wise to get them medically checked. At least bunnies are a fun thing to spend money on, compared to like practically everything else

I've been having a hard time staying on the forum for a long time so I miss most updates sorry :(
But I'm so happy to hear that they're okay now, you know I find Casper very handsome :lol:
Well done Casper & Sophie xx

Yes of course its wise to get them medically checked. At least bunnies are a fun thing to spend money on, compared to like practically everything else
Very true. :lol:

I've been having a hard time staying on the forum for a long time so I miss most updates sorry :(
But I'm so happy to hear that they're okay now, you know I find Casper very handsome :lol:
Well done Casper & Sophie xx
Aw, thank you, KCG. :)

Poor Casper :( sending loads of hugs and vibes for you all x

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Aw, thank you, Graciee. He's been eating some dried forage and hay, so hopefully that means he's feeling a bit better... He was sneezing a lot earlier, so that must've felt bad, poor boy. :(

Back