• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gi stasis, no vets available

Hello everyone. My bun has been fine after a small bout of abnormal poop for about a week and a half now. I actually took her to her vet yesterday for a check up and they determined she was fine. today i have had the terrible luck that it is sunday and no vet clinics that can treat rabbits today are available here in Puerto Rico today and i say this because this morning she kept changing her position as she layed down and then she was pressing her stomach on the floor as she moved and i saw visibly that her stomach was kind of pulsing every so often and i have read that these are all signs of gi stasis. She hesitated to eat for a while, even her favorite treats but is now eating and moving about and has drank water. I just got baby drops with simethicone to give her. What else can i do for her?

I would keep her eating and drinking as normally as possible. Hay / grass and high fibre forage would be good. Sometimes adding a bit of eg apple juice or peppermint tea to drinking water may encourage more drinking - but make sure she also has access to plain water.

If she is mobile and keen on food, maybe try scattering it to keep her moving about. Just avoid stressing her out more - stress will make the situation worse.

Keep a very close eye on poo output. If she's not eating properly, her gut will slow down and poo will get smaller or stop. It's an emergency at that point. I would expect a vet to do a full pysical exam, check blood sugar levels, and probably be looking at (oral, daily) meds to keep the guts moving. Pain relief (eg metacam) is also important and can make a huge difference.

Is she moulting at the moment? Ingested hair can sometimes cause gut blockages / slow down. It will also show up as stringy bits between the poo. Look at removing any loose fur to prevent it being ingested (eg with damp fingers and a comb).

Unless she somehow found some pellets in her hutch hidden amongst the bedding which i tried to clean as much as possible without stressing her to be mindful of new pellets, then she has pooped 3 new pellets since i noticed this was happening.

I would keep her eating and drinking as normally as possible. Hay / grass and high fibre forage would be good. Sometimes adding a bit of eg apple juice or peppermint tea to drinking water may encourage more drinking - but make sure she also has access to plain water.

If she is mobile and keen on food, maybe try scattering it to keep her moving about. Just avoid stressing her out more - stress will make the situation worse.

Keep a very close eye on poo output. If she's not eating properly, her gut will slow down and poo will get smaller or stop. It's an emergency at that point. I would expect a vet to do a full pysical exam, check blood sugar levels, and probably be looking at (oral, daily) meds to keep the guts moving. Pain relief (eg metacam) is also important and can make a huge difference.

Is she moulting at the moment? Ingested hair can sometimes cause gut blockages / slow down. It will also show up as stringy bits between the poo. Look at removing any loose fur to prevent it being ingested (eg with damp fingers and a comb).
Unless she somehow found some pellets in her hutch hidden amongst the bedding which i tried to clean as much as possible without stressing her to be mindful of new pellets, then she has pooped 3 new pellets since i noticed this was happening. She is not moulting but she is a lionhead mix and she always has quite a lot of fur that i have to brush daily

My buns let me give their tummies gentle, slow massages when they are in stasis. They sit still and just let me move my fingers in slow circles. It seems like it helps move things through.

Do you have fresh herbs?

I hope bunny feels better soon xx

My buns let me give their tummies gentle, slow massages when they are in stasis. They sit still and just let me move my fingers in slow circles. It seems like it helps move things through.

Do you have fresh herbs?

I hope bunny feels better soon xx
Ive been doing this and she has been acting normally, drinking a lot of water, and pooping quite a lot for a while now. Some poop pellets were coming out quite small and dark and a couple quite moist but now they are all what are considered normal. I really hope she is getting better and thank you so much for your advice and your words.

Normal poop pellets are good news. Make sure she continues to eat and drink which encourages gut movement.
Sending vibes she stays well overnight.

Ive been doing this and she has been acting normally, drinking a lot of water, and pooping quite a lot for a while now. Some poop pellets were coming out quite small and dark and a couple quite moist but now they are all what are considered normal. I really hope she is getting better and thank you so much for your advice and your words.
That’s good news! Well done!! xx

Back