• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snowdrop has electricuted herself! UPDATE post 26

Oh dear, poor bunny! I'm hopeful that she'll be fine, although it's sooo difficult to tell if they're in any discomfort isn't it. My bunny Emily has chewed through numerous cables in her time (not ALL live but a couple have been!!) and she has lived to tell the tale .... :shock:

Poor thing. If she's eating ok and doesn't seem too bothered she should be fine.

Yeh she is eating ok and is bright so I think she should be alright. Her bottom lip is very sore so she will be going to the vet tomorrow to see if we can have some cream to put on it as it is starting to blister which will be painful.

Yeh she is eating ok and is bright so I think she should be alright. Her bottom lip is very sore so she will be going to the vet tomorrow to see if we can have some cream to put on it as it is starting to blister which will be painful.

Ouch, that sounds sore, poor little girl :shock: Sending her un-sore vibes x

Update

Been to the vets today and she thinks Snowdrop has had a very lucky escape. She checked her mouth and there are no sores inside, just a small one at the base of her bottom teeth and one her bottom lip.

We have to apply vaseline to her lip and she advised a tiny amount of Bonjela onto her bottom gum if needed and to continue the Metacam.

Although she has chipped her tooth the vet doesnt think she has damaged the nerve so hopefully they wont die off and she wont need them removing!

Also didnt have to pay for the appointment as she put it down as a free "post op check" from last Friday when she cut her chin! So good news all round!

Been to the vets today and she thinks Snowdrop has had a very lucky escape. She checked her mouth and there are no sores inside, just a small one at the base of her bottom teeth and one her bottom lip.

We have to apply vaseline to her lip and she advised a tiny amount of Bonjela onto her bottom gum if needed and to continue the Metacam.

Although she has chipped her tooth the vet doesnt think she has damaged the nerve so hopefully they wont die off and she wont need them removing!

Also didnt have to pay for the appointment as she put it down as a free "post op check" from last Friday when she cut her chin! So good news all round!

Great to hear...phew!!! Silly Snowdrop, let's hope that's been a good lesson and she stays away from them in the future.
I hope her little mouth heals quickly. :)

glad she seems to be ok
only just caught up with this, but would just say not to give antibiotics (e.g. septrin) and not to apply ice directly to any burn.

Sky-O's advice about shock was pretty sound too.

glad she seems to be ok
only just caught up with this, but would just say not to give antibiotics (e.g. septrin) and not to apply ice directly to any burn.

Sky-O's advice about shock was pretty sound too.

Why would you not advise anti-biotics? Surely they are needed to stop the burns getting infected?

essentially, if there's no open wounds and/or no cause for it to become infected, then abx shouldnt be given as a first line of defence. also, i wouldnt generally recommend giving abx without vet advice, especially as they can disturb the gut microflora. this could make systemic effects of electric shock, and potential generalised shock, worse.

essentially, if there's no open wounds and/or no cause for it to become infected, then abx shouldnt be given as a first line of defence. also, i wouldnt generally recommend giving abx without vet advice, especially as they can disturb the gut microflora. this could make systemic effects of electric shock, and potential generalised shock, worse.

I would never give any meds to my buns without first consulting my vet. I was told yesterday when I rang the emergency services to put her on a small dosage (0.2ml) of Septrin as a precautionary measure to make sure they dont abcess.

fair enough then. your post sounded like you gave them ad hoc (with best intentions). i have a general aversion to "blanket" abx administration as they're a lot less effective prophylctically than many people and vets think. but i know abscesses are a risk in buns so if he thought they were necessary i wont argue with that. sorry if i sounded critical, didnt intend to, just talking in general principles. glad Snow is ok xxx

Back