• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE - Found most likely cause of stasis - First time to emergency vets

I'm really sorry Jellybean is poorly. However it's positive that she's eaten a little and has passed some poos.

It could well be the moult that's caused this. I've had to nurse my bunnies through a fair few stasis episodes and moulting seems to be the danger period for it to happen.

I think it would be a good idea to speak to the vet about getting gut stimulants as well. I've found cisapride to be the best if they've got it.

Keep an eye on her today. I usually top my buns up with syringe feeds until they're eating normally again. Bunnies also tend to prefer fresh foods when they're poorly, so it might be worth offering her some dandelions and crushed fresh herbs to tempt her to eat for herself.

Good luck, I hope she's feeling better soon.

I'm really sorry Jellybean is poorly. However it's positive that she's eaten a little and has passed some poos.

It could well be the moult that's caused this. I've had to nurse my bunnies through a fair few stasis episodes and moulting seems to be the danger period for it to happen.

I think it would be a good idea to speak to the vet about getting gut stimulants as well. I've found cisapride to be the best if they've got it.

Keep an eye on her today. I usually top my buns up with syringe feeds until they're eating normally again. Bunnies also tend to prefer fresh foods when they're poorly, so it might be worth offering her some dandelions and crushed fresh herbs to tempt her to eat for herself.

Scrappy, thank you so much for mentioning this. I decided to pick apart her poops to see if there was any evidence of fur. All of them had white hairs in them, but two of the poops were almost pure fur - essentially matted little balls coated in a thin layer of brown. I feel relieved to at least know that this is very likely the cause.

I just gave her a good brush, and lots of fur came out. She isn't long haired, but this has made me realise that even shorter haired rabbits can suffer from moult induced stasis.

She's going back to the vets at 3.30 for a check up and I'm going to ask for gut meds to take home with us. She is eating a bit, but is still most definitely off colour.

20210512_132424 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150123870@N07/, on Flickr

You can also supplement papaya, or Rodicare Hairball, Malt paste for rabbits. I do that every moult season plus brushing.

I feed my bunny with pineapple during the moulting season. I read that pineapple helps rabbits in moulting season. I also use a flea comb.
multivitamin + probiotic + supporting vegetables and fruits

I would prefer to rely on daily grooming during the peak moult to remove as much loose fur as possible and prevent it becoming an issue. As rabbits groom each other, it's important to do them all, not just the ones who are most susceptible to gut issues. I find shorter haired animals can be harder to groom out any loose fur as it doesn't gather in the comb in the same way longer fluff does.

I'm glad you have found a possible cause for the problem and hope that Jellybean continues to improve.

I would prefer to rely on daily grooming during the peak moult to remove as much loose fur as possible and prevent it becoming an issue. As rabbits groom each other, it's important to do them all, not just the ones who are most susceptible to gut issues. I find shorter haired animals can be harder to groom out any loose fur as it doesn't gather in the comb in the same way longer fluff does.

I'm glad you have found a possible cause for the problem and hope that Jellybean continues to improve.

Absolutely, this is what I meant. All of my rabbits are short haired and none of them have had fur induced stasis before, but this has made me realise that just because they're short haired, it doesn't mean that it won't be a problem for them.

Motility meds and syringe feeds are good advice. Both will keep her system moving. I also am a believer in supplemental fluids.
Sending more vibes.

Back