• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge UD Sweep's Gone Too UD p156 Results

Oh Helen, I feel so very sad and worried for you. You are in a horrible situation and we all know you are trying your best.

Thinking of Smudge (at The Bridge I am sure), Sweep - sending all good vibes, all your other buns - sending protection vibes and you - really hoping that you get some answers very soon. You couldn't have done anymore xx

Storm and Peter were on SS, Smudge and Sweep were on Excel. Peter didn't eat hay. So I don't think it's the food? The food is kept in separate buildings too.

Does not seem likely really then

I so want you to have some answers as to 'why' because the not knowing must be utterly terrifying for you :cry:

The vet called. Sweep passed away around midnight. :cry: The vet can't see what else it could be other than VHD. Both bodies will be sent to the lab.

Just done the second dose of Septrin and all buns fine. I was expecting more bodies. How many will I lose today? :cry:

Test results could take days. What more can I do? :cry:

What a nightmare, in so many ways. I've been thinking of you and your buns overnight and hoping against hope. I'll keep hoping too, but I am very sorry about Sweep.

I am so sorry -

along with others thinking it must be vhd surely?

Although I do not know how it can not be being picked up in PM??? (perhaps acting in a slightly different way??? Jacks Jane - any ideas??)

With such a short incubation period if it is VHD (and the other deaths being earlier than 1-3 days ago) presume its in the environment (where I believe it can hang on for 105 days plus).

The other buns are of course infectious BUT if not yet infected then to be moved outside the environment it is in and kept in quarantine is their best bet for survival.

Does anyone know if they are removed whether they will carry it inside or on their fur etc etc???

I am wondering if a local boarding place for non rabbits (eg a cattery) might take them while this is sorted out.
????

Again I am so very very very sorry for you and thinking of you and the buns gone and especially the buns still there.

I'm so sorry you've lost Smudge and Sweep. How heartbreaking for you. I do hope you manage to get some answers. :cry:

The vet called. Sweep passed away around midnight. :cry: The vet can't see what else it could be other than VHD. Both bodies will be sent to the lab.

Just done the second dose of Septrin and all buns fine. I was expecting more bodies. How many will I lose today? :cry:

Oh Helen :cry::cry::cry: I am so so sorry. I really don't know what to say. I'm thinking of you xxxx

I have to admit that VHD does seem to be the most likely, taking into account the time scale of losses :cry:

As for what more can you do, obviously no Rabbits in or out of the premises and no visitors who have contact with any other Rabbits

I'd also get the Vet to contact MSD re the combi-vac they had, dates, batch number etc.

I'd keep all Rabbits off grass and also Jeyes fluid clean and boiling water rinse all concrete runs

I would dispose (break up and burn) of the hutches used by the deceased

Use separate brushes/brooms/dustpans for every Rabbit/Rabbit group accommodation

Disposable aprons and gloves for handling

What a complete nightmare :cry:

So, so sorry to read that Sweep's also gone :cry::cry: I so wish I could make this nightmare go away for you.

There's not a lot I can say, I've just been in awe when I've seen your rescue set up and how you've organised everything and it's all just so, so unfair.

I hope you are okay.

Back