• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge UD Sweep's Gone Too UD p156 Results

Oh Helen, I'm so, so sorry. I was just looking at your website last night and thinking how beautiful the Leeds 35 were and realised they were all still with you (bar Lucky). I would have applied to adopt Smudge if my accommodation had been good enough during the rebuild, just after Shadow died, so I'm particularly upset that she never found her forever home.

I do know that FHB is back on Tuesday as we have an appointment. Have you rung them direct for advice of if they think there is anything you can do? It's usually Ruth on OOH on a Thursday and she is an excellent rabbit vet, I don't know if that info is any use. There may be some way of getting a more comprehensive PM done, or some sort of analysing that might save the others.

I'm going to send a donation to your rescue as potentially this could be crisis point for you and would urge anyone else who can spare a few quid to do likewise to try and help work out what's happen and hopefully save the others.

Really sorry to hear this news, if there's anything I can do, please shout.

Fudge was rehomed too! Smudge had a bunny date planned for Sunday. I was going to take her to their house with Josie having myxi. It had been two weeks since the last death, and I had to put Peter and Storm down to coincidence with all the test results coming back negative, before anyone judges me.

Just spoke to the emergency vet and they didn't manage to get hold of either Holly House or Abbey House, so he's trying FHB now to see if Ruth is there.

They're trying to find another lab that will PM Smudge, they mentioned a name that I can't remember now.

Fudge was rehomed too! Smudge had a bunny date planned for Sunday. I was going to take her to their house with Josie having myxi. It had been two weeks since the last death, and I had to put Peter and Storm down to coincidence with all the test results coming back negative, before anyone judges me.

Just spoke to the emergency vet and they didn't manage to get hold of either Holly House or Abbey House, so he's trying FHB now to see if Ruth is there.

They're trying to find another lab that will PM Smudge, they mentioned a name that I can't remember now.

I'm sure nobody's judging you, you tried really hard to find out what was going on. There's no way you could have predicted this.

I'm wondering if when they said FHB was away they meant "not there" (on the premises) she doesn't work Fridays now and may have left for Thursday by the time they rang. I really hope you can get expert help tonight, you must be beside yourself with worry.

Praying that Sweep and the others will be alright.

I'm sure nobody's judging you, you tried really hard to find out what was going on. There's no way you could have predicted this.

I'm wondering if when they said FHB was away they meant "not there" (on the premises) she doesn't work Fridays now and may have left for Thursday by the time they rang. I really hope you can get expert help tonight, you must be beside yourself with worry.

Praying that Sweep and the others will be alright.

Thank you. Now it's happened again, the idea of taking one of my 'contaminated' buns around to someone else's house to meet their bun horrifies me. But I didn't know this would happen again :cry:

Sweep's in the carrier looking sorry for himself. Ready to go somewhere. Emergency vet said they'd admit him, but what more can they do?!

Ruth is away too

Oh my gosh what a nightmare :cry: I really hope you get some answers soon. No one could blaim you, you do all you can. x

Thank you. Now it's happened again, the idea of taking one of my 'contaminated' buns around to someone else's house to meet their bun horrifies me. But I didn't know this would happen again :cry:

Sweep's in the carrier looking sorry for himself. Ready to go somewhere. Emergency vet said they'd admit him, but what more can they do?!

Ruth is away too

I'm so sorry. What an awful situation. I really hope you can get some help for him soon. (I've sent a little something towards the vets bills as I'm sure they are an extra stress you could do without right now).

Did Smudge present in exactly the same way as the other losses ?

Would it be worth doing a cover all bases ask the Vet about starting them all on Septrin (Coccidiosis-false negatives are possible from fecal analysis)

''oocysts may not be shed at the onset of clinical signs, and it may be necessary to examine several faecal samples before oocysts are found. Oocysts must then be confirmed as pathogenic for that host species''

Taken from here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

A course of Panacur too maybe ??

Thanks guys. Sweep has now been admitted to my vets. The vet couldn't find anyone else that would see him, and whoever answered the phone at FHB recommended not travelling. They told my vet what they'd do.

All buns have just had their first dose of Septrin now.

Smudge was the same as Peter when I took her back. Sweep was starting to look the same when I just left him :cry: I don't think there's much hope for him.

Thanks guys. Sweep has now been admitted to my vets. The vet couldn't find anyone else that would see him, and whoever answered the phone at FHB recommended not travelling. They told my vet what they'd do.

All buns have just had their first dose of Septrin now.

Smudge was the same as Peter when I took her back. Sweep was starting to look the same when I just left him :cry: I don't think there's much hope for him.

I just cant believe it :cry: I am so sorry, I wish I could do something to help :cry:

Did the Vet take Smudge (RIP) and Sweep's temperature ?

This is a total long shot but could they not have reacted appropriately to the combi vac as far as VHD cover is concerned ?

''Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination''

From here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-58449.html

Is there ANY way of getting them all to somewhere with no other buns but away from the current living accommodation?

Just in case there is something toxic around (and its not something they are carrying)????

we are so sorry about smudge she was a one lovely little lady.
beauty is doing really well and dash too.

you done nothing wrong its just one of them things.

les bev and dash n beauty

Did the Vet take Smudge (RIP) and Sweep's temperature ?

This is a total long shot but could they not have reacted appropriately to the combi vac as far as VHD cover is concerned ?

''Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination''

From here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-58449.html

Smudge's temperature was normal, Sweep's was slightly low.

The emergency vet that I just saw (a new one I haven't seen before) thought VHD. I suggested VHD after Peter, but the vets can't find anyone that will test for it.

Is there ANY way of getting them all to somewhere with no other buns but away from the current living accommodation?

Just in case there is something toxic around (and its not something they are carrying)????

No, there's too many of them. And they all lived in different places. There's no gas nearby that could cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Smudge and Sweep haven't been out in the garden to have eaten anything. What else could cause a toxic reaction?

we are so sorry about smudge she was a one lovely little lady.
beauty is doing really well and dash too.

you done nothing wrong its just one of them things.

les bev and dash n beauty

I really hope Beauty and Dash are OK. No new buns have arrived since Beauty, so she could have been exposed to whatever this is :cry:

Smudge's temperature was normal, Sweep's was slightly low.

The emergency vet that I just saw (a new one I haven't seen before) thought VHD. I suggested VHD after Peter, but the vets can't find anyone that will test for it.

No, there's too many of them. And they all lived in different places. There's no gas nearby that could cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Smudge and Sweep haven't been out in the garden to have eaten anything. What else could cause a toxic reaction?

Mycotoxins in feed

Back