• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge UD Sweep's Gone Too UD p156 Results

I guess it's confirmed that it's something treatable and beatable.

Jeez, that might explain why they found no testes. Yet they claim to have found a penis with 'No abnormalities detected' (NAD) :?

I'm hoping they're just bad at sexing rabbits, and it's not a reflection on their lab skills!

I am sorry but if a lab report not only got the sex of my rabbit wrong but claimed to have found a penis with no abnormalities in a female rabbits I would ask for my money back.

I am sorry but if a lab report not only got the sex of my rabbit wrong but claimed to have found a penis with no abnormalities in a female rabbits I would ask for my money back.

I've just pointed that out to the vet. At the bottom it says: Fee : 0.00 + VAT

But that seems unlikely!

Glad you finally know, though I guess it's distressing to take in for a while. I think you can be pretty sure that the Leeds 35 were carriers of EC as Poppy looked like a classic EC carrier, and Angus (or was it Rosie) also had symptoms. It sounds like just very bad luck that the 2 illnesses coincided at the time they did.

As for the Smudge being male :shock: They might not be good as sexing rabbits but surely to comment "NAD" regarding his penis, they shouldn't have passed comment unless they had actually examined it.:shock:

Sorry don't know what NAD means. :oops:

According to what I found on Google, it means:

1. no apparent distress or
2. no appreciable disease

or to a layperson, it means something like "nothing to find"

I thought NAD in this context meant no abnormalities detected - in essence whichever option you go for it means the same thing.

I am so sorry that the report has come back with cocci/e.c. Is there any more detail on which species of cocci has been found, as that would be really helpful to know if it's one of the more or less virulent strains...which would help explain both the clinical significance of its finding and the degree to which you might be advised to take fairly extreme cleaning measures back home.

Cocci has an incubation of about 3 weeks, so from that point of view if not the ec, if you've been clear of anything further while you have been waiting for the results, hopefully that means that all your others are ok.

Big hugs - it may not be the best news but at least it means you know what you are dealing with. Hugs x x x

I've been peeking at this thread and thinking of you. Just wanted to send a huge (((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))) because I can imagine all of this must have been a terrible drain on your spirit.
I shed a few tears for your bridge bunnies once again. :cry:
At least they are healed where they are, and you can rest easy knowing you went all out for them and have well taken care of those still with you.
Having dealt with a rabbit's compromised health which may possibly be due to e.c. and not knowing how it has affected the other rabbits in my care I can appreciate your frustration with the lab's findings...especially with the associated delays. :(
May health and wholeness bless your warren and home and peace and comfort come to your heart. ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Thank you. Can anyone with a big brain help me figure this out?

The ova and oocysts count by McMaster floatation was POSITIVE [2800 oocysts of Eimeria per
gram of faeces, 100 Strongyle eggs (possibly Obeliscoides or Graphidium) per gram of faeces].

From what I can find, the first part refers to coccidiosis, but not the specific type. There seems to be involvement of the liver, but they've called it 'gastrointestinal parasitic disease', would that indicate hepatic coccidiosis or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eimeria_stiedae
http://www.criver.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/rm_ld_r_Rabbit_coccidiosis.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eimeria

The second part, 'Obeliscoides or Graphidium' seems to be referring to worms, but not specifically EC. Is it the same thing? Or are they saying they had a different worm as well as EC?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Graph/Graphidium.htm
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/content/13/3/327.full.pdf

Not got a good brain anymore Captain Helen, but as I understand it what they are basically saying is that 2 different types of GI parasites have been found.
a) Cocciodiosis - as you rightly say the specific type has not yet been identified.
b) One of 2 types of parasitic worm which lives in the stomach.
Neither of these parasites are a form of EC.

Because 2 different parasites have been found, & at present they may not be sure which one was causing the problems, at this point of time in "scientific purism", they cover both eventualities, with the general term "gastrointestinal parasitic disease."
I know that it's difficult for you, but it is so important for improving our understanding of disease that lab test only state what they can actually prove.
I think that many people don't understand that tests have their limitations too. In this situation a vet/ doctor has the advantage of being able to combine the course of an illlness, (very rapid) usually examination findings, as well as tests. The combination results in an "overwheming probability" diagnosis in most cases. This is what they relay to us.

(An example of doctors failuring to be scientifically precise is - we were isolating helicobacter pylori from patients with peptic ulcer back in 1975 & in a scientific lack of discipline completely ignoring it as harmless. Several years later, a more disciplined Australian doctor realised that H pylori was actually causing the ulcers. The West refused to believe him for a long time!:oops: As a result we were giving totally inappropriate treatments with poor results to patients. When we accepted the truth, treatment was revolutionised, infinately more effective, & simpler)

I would expect the next step to be further examination of tissues under the microscope, now that they know where to look.

Perhaps your own main concern at present, is how to prevent both infections spreading to other rabbits.

I can only say that when the unexpected arises, lab tests can take a long time, & may not always be conclusive.
I think that Thumper's tests took about 4 months. Marie & Elizabetta Manicelli generously funded some very expensive tests because that type of TB had not been seen in rabbits before & was substantially different from the norm. In fact they ran out of the necessary tissue to repeat the DNA typing of the TB bacillus. We were left with an "overwhelming probability". Vets are now aware of a different cause of slow deterioration of GI funtion, & can work towards improved diagnosis.

ETA Labs can be overwhelmed with work. I suspect that they prioritise the living over the deceased.

Geoff'sPeople with her experience in lab work will be able to give a more accurate answer than I can.

Last edited:
Not got a good brain anymore Captain Helen, but as I understand it what they are basically saying is that 2 different types of GI parasites have been found.
a) Cocciodiosis - as you rightly say the specific type has not yet been identified.
b) One of 2 types of parasitic worm which lives in the stomach.
Neither of these parasites are a form of EC.

Because 2 different parasites have been found, & at present they may not be sure which one was causing the problems, at this point of time in "scientific purism", they cover both eventualities, with the general term "gastrointestinal parasitic disease."
I know that it's difficult for you, but it is so important for improving our understanding of disease that lab test only state what they can actually prove.
I think that many people don't understand that tests have their limitations too. In this situation a vet/ doctor has the advantage of being able to combine the course of an illlness, (very rapid) usually examination findings, as well as tests. The combination results in an "overwheming probability" diagnosis in most cases. This is what they relay to us.

(An example of doctors failuring to be scientifically precise is - we were isolating helicobacter pylori from patients with peptic ulcer back in 1975 & in a scientific lack of discipline completely ignoring it as harmless. Several years later, a more disciplined Australian doctor realised that H pylori was actually causing the ulcers. The West refused to believe him for a long time!:oops: As a result we were giving totally inappropriate treatments with poor results to patients. When we accepted the truth, treatment was revolutionised, infinately more effective, & simpler)

I would expect the next step to be further examination of tissues under the microscope, now that they know where to look.

Perhaps your own main concern at present, is how to prevent both infections spreading to other rabbits.

I can only say that when the unexpected arises, lab tests can take a long time, & may not always be conclusive.
I think that Thumper's tests took about 4 months. Marie & Elizabetta Manicelli generously funded some very expensive tests because that type of TB had not been seen in rabbits before & was substantially different from the norm. In fact they ran out of the necessary tissue to repeat the DNA typing of the TB bacillus. We were left with an "overwhelming probability".

ETA Labs can be overwhelmed with work. I suspect that they prioritise the living over the deceased.

Geoff'sPeople with her experience in lab work will be able to give a more accurate answer than I can.

That's very interesting, thank you.

So although they say "here is chronic interstitial nephritis and granulomatous encephalitis which may be caused by Encephalitozoon cuniculi", they haven't actually found EC? Just that the damage could be caused by EC?

Do I need to Panacur all the buns for 9 days or 28 days?

I'm not sure what (if anything) I should be asking the lab to clarify?

(My head is about to explode with all of these big words! :oops:)

I will discuss all of this with the vet, but I want to get it straight in my head first!

That's very interesting, thank you.

So although they say "here is chronic interstitial nephritis and granulomatous encephalitis which may be caused by Encephalitozoon cuniculi", they haven't actually found EC? Just that the damage could be caused by EC?

Do I need to Panacur all the buns for 9 days or 28 days?

I'm not sure what (if anything) I should be asking the lab to clarify?

(My head is about to explode with all of these big words! :oops:)

I will discuss all of this with the vet, but I want to get it straight in my head first!

Yes, I think it just shows evidence of EC at some time- ie the granulomas, but not that the condition was necessarily 'active' or the primary cause of death. From my totally unqualified viewpoint I think coccidiosis is likely to be the main issue. However,I would probably do a full 28 day course of Panacur anyway, just to err on the side of caution. But obviously your Vet is the best person to advise you what to do.

Yes, I think it just shows evidence of EC at some time- ie the granulomas, but not that the condition was necessarily 'active' or the primary cause of death. From my totally unqualified viewpoint I think coccidiosis is likely to be the main issue. However,I would probably do a full 28 day course of Panacur anyway, just to err on the side of caution. But obviously your Vet is the best person to advise you what to do.

Ah right, thank you.

I said in an email to the vet last night that I had already started a 9 day course, but felt I should carry on for 28 days, and he agreed.

Does that mean no bun will be able to leave here until the 28 days are up? Would it be too risky to attempt bonding before the 28 days are up?

My buns, Stewart and Barley, have already had a 9 day course. Should I start them on a 28 day course too?

Oh heck! You are right that those tests indicate that No EC has actually been found.
Because neither organism is found in humans I don't know about the tissue changes (pathology) in buns.

What we find, & it will apply to buns is that there are several causes of identical tissue changes.
I surmise that the initial kidney findings combined with the the brain findings were classical of EC. I do not know whether this could actually be caused by the coccidiosis/worms, or whether they think there has been a past infection with EC which is no longer active or infectious. Some buns overcome EC themselves completely. My Thumper's blood tests when 16 weeks old, showed he had been infected with EC in the past, overcame it himself, & he never needed any treatment.
I think that if they thought that any EC was still active, they would have said so on their report.
This is very well worth discussing with your vet who will be trained in the tissues changes possible in disease.

ETA Putting myself in the lab's shoes, their priority will be to ascertain if any illness which can be transmitted to other buns is present.
ETA Sorry Jane we cross posted.

Last edited:
Ah right, thank you.

I said in an email to the vet last night that I had already started a 9 day course, but felt I should carry on for 28 days, and he agreed.

Does that mean no bun will be able to leave here until the 28 days are up? Would it be too risky to attempt bonding before the 28 days are up?

My buns, Stewart and Barley, have already had a 9 day course. Should I start them on a 28 day course too?

I would do a 28 day course for S and B too and I would leave any bonding attempts/rehoming until the treatment is complete.

I'm so sorry for all of your waiting, what a nightmare. Especially when you have other rabbits, you need to know.

Doughnut's on her last dose of septrin for the cocci today. I'm going to be sending off for some lab results if I get any more loose fecal stools, hopefully I won't but will keep you posted on how I get on.

Does the septrin kill the parasite and all of it's eggs in 20 days?

Doughnut had 7 days pancur, just wondering if I should have done 28 too but it's what the vet advised as he thought it more likely to be cocci. I'm finding it all confusing!

Glad you at least have an answer and it's something you can deal with.
NAD is pathologist speak for "no abnormalities detected" i.e. normal.
I would complain about the reporting as male rather than female although this is likely to be because they will use software like Pathdata or RoeLee so once they've entered the sex it will automatically generate appropriate fields and report as NAD unless they put a finding in, so what they have probably done is insert male at the start in error and if they didn't enter a comment for penis it will report as NAD and penis would be an automatically generated field if they had enetered male under sex. I would query what the findings were for her ovaries etc. but I suspect they were NAD which would be why they didn't notice they'd put the wrong sex into the system. Still an error, but doesn't mean they thought she was a male rabbit.

Thanks guys. I think I'm getting my head around it now. It's good to know that EC wasn't the main cause of death, but alarming that it can cause so much damage without any symptoms showing.

I need to speak to the vet about it, and I need to know what's happening with the bill before I can take it further with the lab. It's very annoying that I can't contact them by email though.

It's very upsetting that the rescue buns have no chance of a home for the next month :cry: But I guess I have to see it as a tiny fraction of what will hopefully be long and happy lives for them.

Thanks guys. I think I'm getting my head around it now. It's good to know that EC wasn't the main cause of death, but alarming that it can cause so much damage without any symptoms showing.

I need to speak to the vet about it, and I need to know what's happening with the bill before I can take it further with the lab. It's very annoying that I can't contact them by email though.

It's very upsetting that the rescue buns have no chance of a home for the next month :cry: But I guess I have to see it as a tiny fraction of what will hopefully be long and happy lives for them.

Yes and in the meantime they are safe and being well looked after by you. I hope that you are coping Ok as the stress of the recent weeks must have been horrendous. Please do remember that a disease outbreak can happen to ANYONE who keeps Rabbits. Especially those taken in from previously neglectful homes. Whilst there are of course precautions we can take to minimise risks we cant make things 'risk free' and not one of us is perfect.

Yes and in the meantime they are safe and being well looked after by you. I hope that you are coping Ok as the stress of the recent weeks must have been horrendous. Please do remember that a disease outbreak can happen to ANYONE who keeps Rabbits. Especially those taken in from previously neglectful homes. Whilst there are of course precautions we can take to minimise risks we cant make things 'risk free' and not one of us is perfect.

Well said JJ :thumb:

Back