• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Rabbits broken leg advice

suemarbles

New Kit
Hello All I don't want to go in to all the details but my poor bunny broke her back leg on Saturday, she had an operation on Monday for the fracture and the surgeon mended the leg but there is some rotation on her foot and it is sticking out to the left of her body. its touch and go as were trying to keep her eating through the pain shes on two types of drugs for pain inc Metacam also. Were also giving her emeprid to help her gut move as her poos have been very small. Do you this with the foot at that angle one it heals she should adapt to it? x she's been a right trooper and its still early days going to take 8 weeks to heal were praying for her x shes also having laser light therapy every day which heals the bone faster and also relives pain.

Rabbits do adapt better than you think to mobility issues. I hope she heals well, but rabbits cope quite well on 3 legs if things don't work out with the break and she needs an amputation at some point. Long term, you will need to keep an eye on both back feet for signs of rubbing and to keep the nails short so she is as comfortable as possible and can maintain a better posture so as to put less pressure on the hips and spine.

Have you been advised to limit her space and activity level for a while to give the break a chance to heal? She may also need help with cleanig herself after toileting for a while.

Are you giving her additional syringe feeds her with one of the powdered critical care products? She may not be able to reach her food andwater in its usual place, so you may need to get creative. eg hay in a rack at nose height, raise the water bowl up on an upturned bowl or brick. You won't get poo output unless there's food input.

I used folded towels on top of puppy pads over the whole floor when I had a recovering tripod bunny. It was easier to deal with toileting and comfy to lie on.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sending lots of vibes.

Rabbits do adapt better than you think to mobility issues. I hope she heals well, but rabbits cope quite well on 3 legs if things don't work out with the break and she needs an amputation at some point. Long term, you will need to keep an eye on both back feet for signs of rubbing and to keep the nails short so she is as comfortable as possible and can maintain a better posture so as to put less pressure on the hips and spine.

Have you been advised to limit her space and activity level for a while to give the break a chance to heal? She may also need help with cleanig herself after toileting for a while.

Are you giving her additional syringe feeds her with one of the powdered critical care products? She may not be able to reach her food andwater in its usual place, so you may need to get creative. eg hay in a rack at nose height, raise the water bowl up on an upturned bowl or brick. You won't get poo output unless there's food input.

I used folded towels on top of puppy pads over the whole floor when I had a recovering tripod bunny. It was easier to deal with toileting and comfy to lie on.
Wow thank you so much for all your info yea I have her in this photo attached...she's usally a free roam bun but making sure I keep her in a small space while it heals x were seeing the surgeon again Monday for a check up on her leg. We've had a bad day with her today as she's eating lots but only about 10poops today small n hard dark colour xx as well as the emprid were also now giving her fibrplex to help further.... I not sure if I need to force feed her yet as she's eating....she's chomping away right now.... do you know what else I could do to help her... I've also been giving her lots of tummy massages to try and get her tummy moving x I've also been moving her food to her every time she gets up and goes somewhere else in the cage trying to entice her to keep eating so I can see poops x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305-163814_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305-163814_Ring.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 6
Is she eating much hay? Hay provides essential fibre for a rabbit's gut and to wear the teeth down. I can't really see any in the pic. If she's not very mobile, she will need it whereshe can reach it easily.

Cisapride is another prokinetic drug that can be given aswell as metaclopromide (Emeprid) They work well together to promote the motility of both the upper GI tract (Emeprid) and the hind gut (cisapride)

Physio is needed to prevent muscle wastage whilst the Rabbit is relatively immobile.

Analgesic cover should be regularly reviewed to make sure that Rabbit has good pain control

Fluid intake is important. A good fluid intake is necessary to help gut motility, to support renal function as the kidneys have additional work metabolising medications and to try to keep the urine output dilute. Rabbits who are relatively immobile are prone to bladder sludge as they might not empty their bladder properly when they pass urine.Urine output should be monitored for any signs of sludge.

Her ears will need regular checking. Rabbits with a hind leg disability of any kind are prone to getting a heavy wax build up in the ear they cannot scratch with a hind leg. This can then result in an ear infection.

I would discuss the situation about the rotation of her foot when you see the surgeon again. It seems likely further surgery might be needed if the foot is salvageable. Which it might not be by now.

Last edited:
Is she eating much hay? Hay provides essential fibre for a rabbit's gut and to wear the teeth down. I can't really see any in the pic. If she's not very mobile, she will need it whereshe can reach it easily.
Yeah it's constantly under her nose now that pic was when I first put her in the cage on Tuesday x she's got 8 hay spots in the cage and if I see her not by one then I move one near to her x she's eating a lot of it x

Back