• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Safety warning about an enclosure - please read

I don't get WHY though...it's totally bizarre?! It's like he's trying to prove a point. It's not even like he needs to get rid of the run though, just mesh the inside for goodness sake!

Ugh, stupidity like this irritates me because theres just no justifiable reason to take that risk when people have actually told you that their rabbits have died like this. It's not a big deal or expensive or anything to mesh a run.

... and even went to the trouble of taking a photograph of the tragic outcome to demonstrate how it can happen. Hearsay is one thing but seeing the evidence and not accepting it can happen... I really cannot understand at all.

I'd say Floki is a small rabbit and even she can't get it all the way through...

23390630892_b975a5512c_z.jpg

22870832114_0619e68445_z.jpg

23499145785_724fd88981_z.jpg

I am always worried about anyone using this run without meshing it, and I am especially concerned with yours being a wildie with a small head. The wire these runs is made of is very flexible and a rabbit running at it at speed would have no problem getting stuck in it. I have tried warning people about this run, yourself included but that is all I can do unfortunately :cry:

... and even went to the trouble of taking a photograph of the tragic outcome to demonstrate how it can happen. Hearsay is one thing but seeing the evidence and not accepting it can happen... I really cannot understand at all.

It's called not wanting to lose face by admitting they are wrong.

Some people just don't deserve to have pets, especially when they're knowingly putting their pets life at risk.

SO many people/reviews and dead bunnies can't ALL be lying - :(

It's a horrible and disturbing image and I for one would Never RISK my rabbit getting spooked and dying.. I would hate to read a post on here in a few months time :(

I think this is what they call trolling. But on the plus side, by continuing to come back, the thread keeps getting bumped, which means more readers can be made aware of the problem! I certainly wouldn't have found this warning otherwise, so it's done me a favour.

Incidentily, what do people use to mesh their enclosures? I first thought chicken wire, but then worried that can be sharp.

I think this is what they call trolling. But on the plus side, by continuing to come back, the thread keeps getting bumped, which means more readers can be made aware of the problem! I certainly wouldn't have found this warning otherwise, so it's done me a favour.

Incidentily, what do people use to mesh their enclosures? I first thought chicken wire, but then worried that can be sharp.

Weld mesh is best to use, it's stronger :thumb: 16 or 19 guards is the best, with 1cmx1cm squares :thumb:

Repeating this.

re: the car seats/bed/buggy analogy.. unfortunately I think that people actually *do*. I remember there was a cheapy car seat recalled earlier on this year and facebook posts about it were swamped with "I have one of these and it's FINE!" / "health and safety gone mad!" / etc etc. (And not to mention the amount of people I see driving around with their kids without car seats at all...)

People are idiots. :roll:

I'd use hardware cloth (UK may have a different name for it, wire mesh or something). Still have to make sure there's no sharp edges on it, but the wire itself isnt sharp and is very strong and fox proof.

Yeah I've noticed in the past that this member does seem to troll and I have no doubt that that's why they're proudly posting their dangerous run on this thread, but their rabbit does seem to actually live in the run, so it's not entirely a troll post sadly :(

I'd use hardware cloth (UK may have a different name for it, wire mesh or something). Still have to make sure there's no sharp edges on it, but the wire itself isnt sharp and is very strong and fox proof.

Yup, looks similar to wire mesh, I'll see what our DIY shop has, thanks!

MiniC, we got weld mesh in Wickes xx
Edited to say: we bought the mesh after our house rabbit squeezed through the bars of his heavy duty pen. Having watched him before that happened, it seemed impossible, but it's amazing the spaces they can squeeze thorough. I hope this run is removed from sale soon.

Last edited:
I have just seen this thread from it being linked from somewhere else and I am distraught about it. I can't help but imagine how terrified they must of been when they were stuck, and how they must of been thinking to themselves 'why isn't anyone coming to help' or something along those lines. I always knew of the danger of using runs with small, flexible bars like this but to read just how many rabbits have not only been injured, but died as a result just makes the danger even more real.

And then for some arrogant, clearly neglectful fool to come along and start bragging about how he has not had any problems with it YET, just infuriates me. Of course you haven't had any problems yet, but if your rabbit decides to charge at the bars then you WILL have a problem with it, and by then it will be too late. That's like saying 'I haven't had any problems with drunk driving' when you very clearly know that you are still putting your life and other people's lives at risk. Who on earth do you think you are putting your pride before the safety of your poor little bunnies? I know that when you first brought it you were probably not aware of the dangers, but man up and be a decent human being and just add safety measures to it. Nobody is saying get rid of it, just makes it safer so it is impossible for your rabbits to get their head stuck, because quite frankly it is currently a real possibility. Stop being so arrogant, admit that you are in fact wrong, stop being so proud, and stop endangering your rabbit's lives!

Sorry for the rant everyone, but it makes me so angry when people are told the risks but continue to endanger the life of someone or something else just because they are too proud to admit they are wrong!

Last edited:
Willow&biscuit - do you know what I found worse? I reported it to consumer protection, and they told me they couldn't do anything as 'unsafe for animals' is not illegal...

I'm glad I've seen this thread, just to be able to have the knowlege to pass on to other bun owners. Is chicken wire dangerous too as my bun has a large enclosure on my allotment for summer months with chicken wire?

I'm glad I've seen this thread, just to be able to have the knowlege to pass on to other bun owners. Is chicken wire dangerous too as my bun has a large enclosure on my allotment for summer months with chicken wire?

Chicken wire isn't strong enough to stop predators getting in or rabbits getting out, weld mesh is much stronger - 16 or 19 guage.

Thanks for replying, luckily the chicken wire is in an internal run. The outdoor fencing has metal corruagated sheets at the bottom and stone slabs to prevent digging out. (We learned by our previous buns who decided to make a break for it one day...cue The Great Escape music :lol: ) I'll replace the other thanks for informing me x

Willow&biscuit - do you know what I found worse? I reported it to consumer protection, and they told me they couldn't do anything as 'unsafe for animals' is not illegal...

This sounds really suspicious to me. So manufacturers can just sell whatever they please, even if it's dangerous to pets and kills them? What about animal cruelty laws? This product is causing rabbits to die in a way that is torturous. This item is listed as made for rabbits. Isn't that false advertising since clearly the bars are not strong enough to safely contain a rabbit? Someone should try contacting a lawyer over this matter. It's a shame they are so expensive.

My heart breaks for all the bunnies and their guardians who went through such trauma because of this product.

Last edited:
Back