• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Safety warning about an enclosure - please read

It's also a warning to anyone making their own runs out of materials they buy or find lying about. That poor rabbit must have jumped up higher where the wires would bend apart more easily and then slid down to where it's hard to pull them apart. They need to be threatened with legal action if they don't remove the word rabbit from the advert.

Still going strong...

21277896036_207317ee4a_z.jpg

Its a risk that you can take (obviously) but it is still a great idea to warn other people that it IS a risk. It may save a rabbit's life after all.

I wonder whether people would take the same risk if their child was involved - ie would they continue to use a particular car seat/bed/buggy if children had been killed or injured using the same ones?

Why on earth wouldn't you at least mesh the inside of the run after knowing the risks? :? And if it bends with the force of a rabbit running into it I can't see how it's fox proof.

Goes to show how important it is to read reviews etc before getting accommodation! It's not something you would usually think of, especially if the bars seem sturdy.

I've had a similar incident happen. Absolutely horrific and really not something you want to experience. If in doubt, mesh it.

Last edited:
Oh my! I'm glad this happened to be bumped! I ordered a metal bar enclosure last week and didn't read past the good reviews - mine was for indoor use, and I assumed all 1stars would be related to outdoor issues! I'm off to hunt down bad reviews now, this is just horrible. How can amazon still sell this after so many deaths? Like people say, if a kid died in a malfunctioning pram, there would be mass recalls.

Edit: not many negative reviews of our enclosure, and none of this nature. I'll still look at ways to make it better though, as I don't think I could live with myself if this happened to ours given i'm now aware of the risks!

Last edited:
I have just submitted this 'Review'

'This enclosure is completely unsuitable for Rabbits. The bar spacing is such that even a medium sized Rabbit can get their head trapped causing a prolonged and terrifying death. Given the fact that this issue has been raised on numerous occasions, including submission of personal (devastating) accounts of fatalities and of photographs of deceased Rabbits hanging from the bars by the neck I find it incomprehensible that this enclosure remains on sale.

I for one would never buy ANYTHING from a retailer who was willing to sell an item known to be unfit and UNSAFE for purpose.
I guess that to some Retailers profit margins are more important than Animal Welfare'

'This enclosure is completely unsuitable for Rabbits. The bar spacing is such that even a medium sized Rabbit can get their head trapped causing a prolonged and terrifying death. Given the fact that this issue has been raised on numerous occasions, including submission of personal (devastating) accounts of fatalities and of photographs of deceased Rabbits hanging from the bars by the neck I find it incomprehensible that this enclosure remains on sale.

I for one would never buy ANYTHING from a retailer who was willing to sell an item known to be unfit and UNSAFE for purpose.
I guess that to some Retailers profit margins are more important than Animal Welfare'

:thumb:

When I saw this thread again I was really hoping to see it had been removed from sale.

Can't believe it is still available and that some are still using it without modifications.

Beggars belief.:evil:

Does this apply to all the metal pens or just particular ones? I have a metal pen but not the one linked to in this thread.

I'd say Floki is a small rabbit and even she can't get it all the way through...

23390630892_b975a5512c_z.jpg

22870832114_0619e68445_z.jpg

23499145785_724fd88981_z.jpg

Jonm... If a GIANT (My continental GIANT Barney) can get his head through then your little bun can too. He's dead now by the way.

I don't get you. It's almost like you're bragging about having a dangerous run. Have you looked at the first review with the picture of the dead rabbit with its head stuck in the bars? That was a small rabbit too. It doesn't matter if she can't squeeze through while standing there, that's not the point. The danger is if she runs into the bars and gets stuck.

He's not going to listen, but hopefully others will and if one Rabbit's life is saved as a result that is at least something.

I don't get WHY though...it's totally bizarre?! It's like he's trying to prove a point. It's not even like he needs to get rid of the run though, just mesh the inside for goodness sake!

Ugh, stupidity like this irritates me because theres just no justifiable reason to take that risk when people have actually told you that their rabbits have died like this. It's not a big deal or expensive or anything to mesh a run.

I wonder whether people would take the same risk if their child was involved - ie would they continue to use a particular car seat/bed/buggy if children had been killed or injured using the same ones?

Repeating this.

Back