• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonding an ec bunny

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I've had my beautiful Milo for a year now. He is neutered and vaccinated and about 18 months old. He was a rescue. He loves being fussed and is very friendly. He had ec before I had him which was treated but left him with head tilt. He's had one other infection since I have had him which responded to treatment but I know he will still be carrying ec in his body at a low level. I've had two other rabbits in the past with this infection both of who recovered.
I've had bunnies for 15 years but have never had this dilema. I know that despite him living free range in my living room and having as much attention from me as possible,I work full time and he spends a fair bit of time on his own. I worry constantly that he is lonely. I have another rabbit, a doe called Winnie also a rescue who is neutered and vaccinated as well. I have spoken briefly to my vet about the ethics of bonding a rabbit with a history of ec but also know that something like 80 per cent of rabbits are ec carriers without the infection symptoms ever emerging because the levels in the body are low and controlled by the immune system. Chances are Winnie could be a carrier with no symptoms.
Having said that I don't want her to get ec of course. I think they would be a good match though with similar temperament and age; I will bond Winnie with somebun else if not with Milo. My head says "no" and my heart says "really?" !!
I'd just like some thoughts before I put the whole idea to bed. Thank you!

I would bond them, making sure they were both in good health before you start. My vets always recommended 10 days of panacur, starting 2 days before bonding...just to keep the load lower if the stress of bonding were to activate dormant EC. As you say, so many domestic rabbits are thought to be carriers of EC, there's not much to say Milo would be a bigger risk to Winnie than another bun you might adopt for her.

Rabbits seem to vary so much in how susceptible they are to EC

I would bond them, making sure they were both in good health before you start. My vets always recommended 10 days of panacur, starting 2 days before bonding...just to keep the load lower if the stress of bonding were to activate dormant EC. As you say, so many domestic rabbits are thought to be carriers of EC, there's not much to say Milo would be a bigger risk to Winnie than another bun you might adopt for her.

Rabbits seem to vary so much in how susceptible they are to EC
Thank you for these thoughts. I hadn't actually thought about how another bunny may be a risk to her as well so as you say just because his ec levels have been high/low doesn;t necessarily mean her levels will be. affected if she's in good health and she is apart from being a dental bunny which the vet deals with as necessary.I'm experienced with bonding so would keep things as calm as possible.
Thanks again you have definately given me food for thought!

I too would attempt to bond them. Most Rabbits are initially infected with EC whilst still in their mother’s uterus. The parasite is shed a long time before any clinical symptoms of disease occur. If they ever do. It is the spores the parasite sheds before the parasite is excreted that are responsible for causing active clinical symptoms. The spores circulate in the bloodstream and the immune system usually keeps them in a dormant state. But when the immune system is less efficient, such as during another illness or due to environmental stress EC spores can erupt into various cells within the CNS, the kidneys and the lenses of the eyes. This causes an inflammatory response leading to cellular damage and clinical symptoms. Spores begin to be shed in the urine and thus can pass infection on to other in contact Rabbits and to disease Vectors such as mice.

This article gives a more detailed account of EC.

And this is the current thinking of the RWAF with regards to the use of Fenbendazole (Panacur). I say ‘current thinking’ as with EC there remains a lot of uncertainty and even within the Veterinary Profession there is not 100% agreement about the best management protocol.

‘’We do not recommend routine worming to prevent Ec as, like any drug, it can be harmful and should only be used when necessary. This should be discussed with your vet before using preventatively.’’

Full text

Back