• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I keep my bunnies in separate rooms before starting to bond them?

BoschBun

New Kit
Hi! I am new to the thread and also new to being a Bun Mum! I recently and unexpectedly got an un neutered male who I estimate is about 5 or 6 months old. Today life had another surprise in store and I ended up with a spayed female who is 9 months old. Right now I have them in the same room but with separate cages and they can’t really see each other when in their enclosures. My little boy, Bosch, is very aware that the female is in the room though. He has been lightly chewing on the metal bars of his enclosure and is desperate to try to get to Evie. Should I move Evie into a different room? She does not seem to be stressed, but I don’t want Bosh to be driven mad by her proximity. Please note: Bosch is scheduled to be neutered in Mid January. I have no intention of letting them be in the same enclosure until 6 weeks after his surgery. I am just not sure if they should even be in the same room? Thanks!!

Welcome! :) It's very kind of you to bring these surprise bunnies into your home. Since Evie's presence seems to be causing Bosch some stress because he's so desperate to get to her, personally I'd move Evie to another room, so Bosch can have some peace. He might still smell her, though, even in a different room, so there's no guarantee it'll actually help, but it's worth a try! You're definitely doing the right thing by neutering him and waiting 6 weeks. It sounds like you're planning on bonding them, so I hope that'll go well!

Hello :)

Yes, absolutely move him to a separate room. He is an entire male and his raging hormones will be controlling his behaviour. He knows that there is a female bunny very closeby, but he just can't get to her :LOL: He will be feeling very frustrated.

Hopefully he will calm down if he's in a separate room. I hope also that his neuter goes well and that they bond successfully.

Back