• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven needs vibes dental 1/10/22 post 232

2 weeks until a dental? Jeez, that's pretty good considering your location. But still quite worrying. Is yours a smallish town? Our vet here (for any appointment) can take at least a month to get you in...if not two. :(

Really hope Raven will be okay till then. Does he eat/like kale at all? This was Mimzy's go to whenever eating/pooping became difficult as well as dandelion. But it has to be something that Raven tolerates well due to it's high oxalate content. It can be hard on a bun with weak kidney function or delicate tummy.

Sending stable vibes for your little man. xxxxx

2 weeks until a dental? Jeez, that's pretty good considering your location. But still quite worrying. Is yours a smallish town? Our vet here (for any appointment) can take at least a month to get you in...if not two. :(

Really hope Raven will be okay till then. Does he eat/like kale at all? This was Mimzy's go to whenever eating/pooping became difficult as well as dandelion. But it has to be something that Raven tolerates well due to it's high oxalate content. It can be hard on a bun with weak kidney function or delicate tummy.

Sending stable vibes for your little man. xxxxx

I live between two large cities, yet only a couple vets take rabbits. Raven does not give much warning when his teeth bother him and he was on medicam already.. He only likes dandelions and carrot greens, though both hard to find in supermarkets, often poor quality. He is drinking a lot and pees lots too when he is feeling his best. If necessary , I will give recovery food. My concern with waiting is his spurs will grow worse.

I am really shocked that over there a Rabbit needing a Dental has to wait two weeks for treatment :shock: :cry: AFAIK here such a situation is classified as an emergency given how Dental problems in Rabbits can quickly result in Gut Stasis. What a horrible situation for you to be in :cry:

I am really shocked that over there a Rabbit needing a Dental has to wait two weeks for treatment :shock: :cry: AFAIK here such a situation is classified as an emergency given how Dental problems in Rabbits can quickly result in Gut Stasis. What a horrible situation for you to be in :cry:
Yeah, it is longer than I expected too. After the call he began eating some hay and a few pellets, in addition to greens, so I hope he keeps his guts moving . He is on list to call if they have a cancellation next week. I have recovery food and motility meds if needed,yet hope not necessary.
His teeth get thin,needlelike points that break off easily during dental and then are made smooth. I wish there was something Raven could chew to break the points himself.

His teeth get thin,needlelike points that break off easily during dental and then are made smooth. I wish there was something Raven could chew to break the points himself.
Yeah, sounds like it'd be an easy fix it if was possible! :( Poor Raven and poor you, hope you get a cancellation that suits you.

I hate waiting for cancellations. :( Jenna waited months for her eye surgery and we were on the cancellation list and it was maddening because it seemed like she was just getting sicker and having more pain...I was terrified she wouldn't make it to the day. But thanks to the pandemic our vets still haven't caught up to the caseload. That's why 2 weeks surprised me, we have a much longer wait time and we're a dinky little nowhere town. :?

Is your vet short staffed? We lost a lot of doctors during lockdown and haven't been able to bring in any new ones. I don't understand why there's such a shortage of them, unless they take government subsistence, which is why lots of folks would just as soon not work these days.

Really hope they can get Raven in sooner. Will keep our paws crossed for you. xxxxx

Vet had cancellation for this morning and offered Raven the slot first.. For several years, my vet is only one at the practice who does bunnies/exotics.
I am glad he does not have to wait for his dental, yet am asking for vibes that he recovers well. It can take him a long time to resume eating after dentals and is quite worrysome.

I hate waiting for cancellations. :( Jenna waited months for her eye surgery and we were on the cancellation list and it was maddening because it seemed like she was just getting sicker and having more pain...I was terrified she wouldn't make it to the day. But thanks to the pandemic our vets still haven't caught up to the caseload. That's why 2 weeks surprised me, we have a much longer wait time and we're a dinky little nowhere town. :?

Is your vet short staffed? We lost a lot of doctors during lockdown and haven't been able to bring in any new ones. I don't understand why there's such a shortage of them, unless they take government subsistence, which is why lots of folks would just as soon not work these days.

Really hope they can get Raven in sooner. Will keep our paws crossed for you. xxxxx

I am sorry you had such a long wait. Raven getting dental today. We have lots of dog/cat vets and even an animal eye care practice with two vets,just a very limited supply of rabbits/exotics vets at a time when more people have such pets.

All the best vibes that Raven comes back from this dental feeling much better. :love: What a blessing that you got that sooner appointment! :thumb:

Thank you friends. Raven was not given sedation meds, just gas ga and he ate his greens at the vets and was nibbling hay. He was pooping lots too.
He needed dental without doubt and his needle points rest on his gums and were starting to irritate cheeks on upders and were going upward on tongue side of lowers.
Raven will continue to need regular dentals, so I hope this protocol will work well so his future will be better for all.
He got medicam at vets, yet told to give more tonight. He is nibbling hay and more greens and hope he continues to eat and drink.

Last edited:
Back