• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven needs vibes

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
After Raven’s dental three weeks ago he improved after his cheek ulcers healed, then he slowly began eating less. Vet was on vacation, so a few days ago I began Raven’s usual meds, fluids and syringe feeds. He made some progress and has improved a bit, yet he still needs vibes.
He does well with syringe feeds and oral meds, yet now that he lot some weight he is less cooperative with his fluids. It only takes a few minutes, yet I feel awful that he wants to run away from me.
The fluids have made a difference, so I hope he will not need them long term.

Thank you friends.
He seemed better overnight and ate greens before stopped eating again. I need to figure out what helped him last night.
Raven can be a mystery at times.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Does his caecum feel very full ? Sometimes reduced motility in the caecum can present in the ways you have described.

Reduced motility in the caecum can occur with dental problems as dental Rabbits seldom ingest enough long fibre (hay) which is needed for healthy caecum motility.

If the prokinetic he is on is only metoclopramde, this does not have any direct action on the ceacum. Metoclop’ only acts on the upper GI tract, increasing the rate that the stomach empties into the small intestines. Drugs such as cisapride, ranitidine or domperidone are more appropriate as they act on the lower GI tract. Metoclop’ can still be used alongside one of the other prokinetics if necessary.

Does his caecum feel very full ? Sometimes reduced motility in the caecum can present in the ways you have described.

Reduced motility in the caecum can occur with dental problems as dental Rabbits seldom ingest enough long fibre (hay) which is needed for healthy caecum motility.

If the prokinetic he is on is only metoclopramde, this does not have any direct action on the ceacum. Metoclop’ only acts on the upper GI tract, increasing the rate that the stomach empties into the small intestines. Drugs such as cisapride, ranitidine or domperidone are more appropriate as they act on the lower GI tract. Metoclop’ can still be used alongside one of the other prokinetics if necessary.
Thanks for sharing Jane. He is getting cisapride and metaclop, though I can give the metaclop more often if needed. His caecum does not feel full, though he did pass a couple soft poo or cecals the past few days along with regular poo.
His poo has improved with some looking closer to normal while others still are small and firm.
I think fluids helped a lot, though I find giving them to be stressful while Raven twists and turns as I try to get/keep the needle sub q while fluids are being administered.
I have been bested by a 0.9kg bunny!

Thank you for asking. Raven's dental went well. He had two bad points on his last two molars on his right side and they caused small ulcers on his cheek which vet said should heal in a few days. His left uppers were not as bad, so just a little redness. His lowers on tongue side were addressed too, though his tongue was fine.

He gets metacam daily.

He did very well with GA and he ate a few greens and treats before and after his syringe feed last night.
I was glad his gut was moving well after his recent stasis. He made a lot of poo at the vets after his GA. Probably because he got his last dose of motility meds night before his dental.

It sounds as though he's doing really well. Sending lots more vibes for his speedy recovery.

Aw, I'm sorry his teeth were bad enough to give him two small ulcers. I hope they don't bother him too much until they heal. That's so good that he did well with the GA, though, and had some greens and treats last night. And lots of poo is always a good sign! Sending more vibes for your little Raven. :love:

Thank you Omi and Reader.
I should have mentioned he gained a tiny amount of weight, so I hope that trend can continue with supplemental syringe feeds and treats.
It was not much, yet he was losing last few months and it started to add up.

That's so great that he's gained a tiny bit of weight! Sounds like the extra syringe feeds and treats are helping! I hope he will start to gain more weight now. It's really good that he's at least not losing weight anymore.

Well done Raven, glad his dental went well, and that hes gained a little bit of weight, keep it up lad :thumb:

Back