• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven dental was 8/29-update

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Raven has his dental today, so I could use some vibes for my special little bunny boy.
I hope by doing this one a month after the last one that he can avoid sores/ulcers on his cheeks.

Last edited:
He lost a tiny amount of weight-so I may need to do more syringe feeds or find something caloric he will eat.

Ah, I'm sorry he lost a little weight. I hope you can find a way to make him gain some weight again. Does he not eat enough pellets on his own? Since giving more of those would be a good way to gain weight? Or can he not eat pellets at all? I'm sorry if you've explained before and I've forgotten.

Ah, I'm sorry he lost a little weight. I hope you can find a way to make him gain some weight again. Does he not eat enough pellets on his own? Since giving more of those would be a good way to gain weight? Or can he not eat pellets at all? I'm sorry if you've explained before and I've forgotten.

He has pellets all the time, yet prefers greens. He sometimes eats more than others. He was eating pieces of treat sticks, yet stopped last week. I tried pellets for young bunnies in the past, though may try again.
His treat sticks have pea and mint so I wonder is pea flakes would be ok to sprinkle on his pellets. I heard of using oats, yet concerned with his digestion. Oat hay is different so may get a small bag to try again.
I may even pulverize a treat stick in a coffee grinder and add to critical care.

He has pellets all the time, yet prefers greens. He sometimes eats more than others. He was eating pieces of treat sticks, yet stopped last week. I tried pellets for young bunnies in the past, though may try again.
His treat sticks have pea and mint so I wonder is pea flakes would be ok to sprinkle on his pellets. I heard of using oats, yet concerned with his digestion. Oat hay is different so may get a small bag to try again.
I may even pulverize a treat stick in a coffee grinder and add to critical care.
Oh, I see! Thanks for explaining. If he'd eat the pellets for young bunnies, I'd think that would be better than pea flakes or oats? At least they'll have some good nutrients and seem gentler on bunnies' guts than pea flakes and oats. Oat hay seems really yummy for bunnies, though, in my experience. I hope he'll start eating his treat sticks again, or that he'll like having some mixed with his critical care.

loads of get well vibes for mister shiny :love: I am currently contemplating how I can fatten up Boo (without making Eddy fatter)

Sending vibes I hope Raven is well!! :)

I use pea flakes and oats for mine and haven't noticed them directly effect her gut. I only started in March as she would eat her Loxicom if it was in a teaspoon of oats and it avoided stressing her out by syringe feeding it. I sprinkle pea flakes in her hay, although she can't eat much hay, I like her being able to forage for something through the hay.

I second the Emeraid, I was feeding Excel dual care and she was maintaining weight for a few weeks, after I switched to Emeraid Sustain she's started to gain weight slowly (granted I do feed more mls but less often than I did the Excel). After researching, the Emeraid Sustain seems to be more calorific than the intensive care formula and helps build muscle. I found the 100g bag runs out really quickly so would aim for the 400g or even 2kg if you can. :)

Sending vibes I hope Raven is well!! :)

I use pea flakes and oats for mine and haven't noticed them directly effect her gut. I only started in March as she would eat her Loxicom if it was in a teaspoon of oats and it avoided stressing her out by syringe feeding it. I sprinkle pea flakes in her hay, although she can't eat much hay, I like her being able to forage for something through the hay.

I second the Emeraid, I was feeding Excel dual care and she was maintaining weight for a few weeks, after I switched to Emeraid Sustain she's started to gain weight slowly (granted I do feed more mls but less often than I did the Excel). After researching, the Emeraid Sustain seems to be more calorific than the intensive care formula and helps build muscle. I found the 100g bag runs out really quickly so would aim for the 400g or even 2kg if you can. :)

I appreciate the
information. I tried looking at Emeraid recently, yet only see Sustain, not intensive available here, so I am glad you found it useful and will order some today.
Also, may try pea flakes to sprinkle on his food. Is there any brand you recommend?

Last edited:
Oh, I see! Thanks for explaining. If he'd eat the pellets for young bunnies, I'd think that would be better than pea flakes or oats? At least they'll have some good nutrients and seem gentler on bunnies' guts than pea flakes and oats. Oat hay seems really yummy for bunnies, though, in my experience. I hope he'll start eating his treat sticks again, or that he'll like having some mixed with his critical care.

I will try young bunny pellets again and will hold off on oats, yet may do a few pea flakes more as a seasoning than a food.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. He is nibbling a couple greens and a few strands of hay, yet not much else. He just got Metacam and will get syringe fed later. He made several smaller poos, so he may benefit from motility meds and perhaps even sub q fluids also.

Vet says his teeth had long needle like points on all right upper molars that him cheek as some ulcers again. His left side points were half the size.

Last edited:
loads of get well vibes for mister shiny :love: I am currently contemplating how I can fatten up Boo (without making Eddy fatter)
Vet mentioned his healthy shine today. I hope you can find something Boo would like that Eddy doesn't steal!

Little Raven cannot live with his friend Heidi.
She is food obsessed and he eats slower and more often. She watches him and vice versa.

Last edited:
This might be better than Critical Care

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-herbivore-sustain/

Did he have blood work done this time? If not and he has lost more weight when he has his next dental I would request one to be done to check his renal function given how frequently he is having a GA

Thank you. No blood work. I will order emeraid sustain. I saw you recommend it before, yet he takes cc syringe feeds well, so hesitated to order. With his weight change worth trying. I appreciate your suggestion and will ask about bloods next time.

Thank you. No blood work. I will order emeraid sustain. I saw you recommend it before, yet he takes cc syringe feeds well, so hesitated to order. With his weight change worth trying. I appreciate your suggestion and will ask about bloods next time.

It’s amazing how quickly his molar spurs grow isn’t it. Poor boy x

Back