• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating and looking down. Update - Goodbye Daisy

Davell

New Kit
Hello

Story so far

About a week ago my rabbit failed to finish her normal bowl full of pellets at night, and over the last 3 days has barely eaten or drank anything. Ive tried pellets, carrots, broccoli, apple, romaine lettuce, parsley. At most she takes a nibble of hay or lettuce thens stops. She also appears to be grinding her teeth when she tries to eat something. Her poo has went from tiny pellets, then one morning a big blob and today nothing. She is looking very down and sits still in a ball shape with her eyes half shut :(

I took her to the vet yesterday, and the vet listened to her belly, which i said looked like its been hanging lower then usual, he said he couldn't feel any blockages and her gut is moving ( albeit not as much as he would want).He said she looks slightly under weight but isnt dehydrated yet. He also said her teeth look like there growing inward and that may be the root problem, but didn't appear to worried about them and said her teeth look like there not that bad for the minute. He then gave her a pain killer and something to kick start her gut. He gave some anti biopics to take home ( baytril oral sups)

The wierd thing is when we got back home, we put her on the living room floor, she sat still and looked down then suddenly ran over purring when i went to the fridge, i gave her some lettuce then she eat it then went back to looking flat and lethargic?

She has eaten a strand of lettuce today, thats it.

Can anyone offer any advice, im thinking its not GI static as the vet said her gut ismoving but it looks to be like her teeth which the vet mentioned it might be worth trimming. However i always thought putting rabbits under anaesthesia was dangerous. If i do have to do this does anyone know how much it will cost. ( just want a heads up, if she needs it done then she needs it done). Im considering seeing how she does tonight and if theres still no improvement in the morning then ill ring the vert for a follow up appointment. The medicine and liquid feed he provided also have to be mixed with alot of water that my rabbit simply wont fully drink. SHE HASNT EATEN IN DAYS

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not the crying type but im in tears writing this. Unfortunately daisy passed away in the night. Worst regret is that she slept next to me and during the night I heard her move, I looked in the dark, saw her and thought nothing of it then just went back to sleep. Maybe she's was trying to get my attention. In the end I just didn't no what the best thing to do was, my advice to any others would be to make sure to press the vets and find the problem as soon as possible. Daisy was 10 years old but she might have had some more time if I acted sooner.

Daisy know you will always be loved and remembered. Thank you for all the good memeries and times we had together.

I would just like to thank everyone who posted to help, it's nice that complete strangers read my problem and took time to offer advice and give there best wishes.

Last edited:
If shes grinding her teeth shes def in pain. Is your vet rabbit savvy? More experienced people will hopefully comment on this but it sounds to me it could be her teeth, I don't think a good rabbit savvy vet would send you away thinking her teeth don't look right im sure a good one would want to do an xray to make sure and further tests as I don't think a vet can properly see without putting her under

If shes grinding her teeth shes def in pain. Is your vet rabbit savvy? More experienced people will hopefully comment on this but it sounds to me it could be her teeth, I don't think a good rabbit savvy vet would send you away thinking her teeth don't look right im sure a good one would want to do an xray to make sure and further tests as I don't think a vet can properly see without putting her under

Thanks for your response,

The vet did seem like he genuinely cared, The reason i didnt push with the teeth side of things is because my rabbit is 10/11 years old and i thought putting rabbits under is dangerous as rabbits dont tend to handle it well. The thought that she could just be generally poorly and get over it by herself made me wonder is it worth delaying another visit, as the stress put on her might push her over the edge, but then again she can only go so many days without eating which is why im thinking of ringing the vets again tomorrow.

She definitely needs to be seen again by the Vet. She probably needs admitting for intensive care. Are you syringe feeding her ?

Is she spayed ?

She definitely needs to be seen again by the Vet. She probably needs admitting for intensive care. Are you syringe feeding her ?

Is she spayed ?

At the vet she was more alert so i think they didnt realise how down shes actually feeling. She isnt spayed and im going to try and syringe feed her agin shortly with the liquid recovery feed the vet provided.

At the vet she was more alert so i think they didnt realise how down shes actually feeling. She isnt spayed and im going to try and syringe feed her agin shortly with the liquid recovery feed the vet provided.

I am concerned that she may actually have something nasty going on in her uterus which has now effected her liver. The weightloss, the 'drooping belly' and the not eating and tooth grinding all point to this. I would want a blood profile run to check both her liver and kidney function. She will also require ongoing analgesia and probably some fluid therapy.

I am concerned that she may actually have something nasty going on in her uterus which has now effected her liver. The weightloss, the 'drooping belly' and the not eating and tooth grinding all point to this. I would want a blood profile run to check both her liver and kidney function. She will also require ongoing analgesia and probably some fluid therapy.

Again thanks for the insight, i will be sure to mention this when i see the vet again. Are there any other tests etc that i should consider asking for just incase they don't mention them ?

Also i forgot to mention some details.

Two nights ago i moved her cage in my room, and constantly through the night she was chewing on the metal bars ( This was before the vet visit ) and last night when i moved her from the place she had been sitting for most of the night there was some blood on the carpet where she peed a little.

Again thanks for the insight, i will be sure to mention this when i see the vet again. Are there any other tests etc that i should consider asking for just incase they don't mention them ?

Also i forgot to mention some details.

Two nights ago i moved her cage in my room, and constantly through the night she was chewing on the metal bars ( This was before the vet visit ) and last night when i moved her from the place she had been sitting for most of the night there was some blood on the carpet where she peed a little.

Blood in the urine is also a symptom of a uterine issue, it can also occur as a result of a Urinary Tract infection.

Sadly there is a very high incidence of Uterine Cancer in unspayed Does, by the age of 5 there is an 80% chance of it occurring.

I would ask the Vet specifically about the possibility of Uterine Adenocarcinoma

http://www.stfrancisanimalandbird.com/ResourcesLibrary/?page_id=244

Blood in the urine is also a symptom of a uterine issue, it can also occur as a result of a Urinary Tract infection.

Sadly there is a very high incidence of Uterine Cancer in unspayed Does, by the age of 5 there is an 80% chance of it occurring.

I would ask the Vet specifically about the possibility of Uterine Adenocarcinoma

http://www.stfrancisanimalandbird.com/ResourcesLibrary/?page_id=244

Its was painful just reading that :(

Its just strange that she was running and skipping happily just a week ago.

Thanks again for the input

Jack's-Jane has given very sound advice.

I think your rabbit needs urgent veterinary attention.

Its was painful just reading that :(

Its just strange that she was running and skipping happily just a week ago.

Thanks again for the input

I am sorry if my post came across as blunt :cry: There is no 'nice' way of trying to convey the information :cry:

I'm sorry i can't advise you, but I hope you get some better help from the vet when you next go. Good luck ((sending healing vibes))) x

i thin ienough has been said already - BUT do get her to the vets, female buns that havent been spayed can cause a lot of issues :(

I would deffo get her back to the vets and ask for further tests to be done and perhaps for them to take her in to look after her? If your not happy with how the vets are perhaps ring around to see if there is one nearby that are Rabbit Savvy? As not all vets are.

I do hope it gets sorted soon and sending lots of vibes for poorly bun x

Back