• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit has myxi

Good luck with your bun. Please keep this thread updated with how your bun is getting on.

If you post pics then maybe someone with more experience with Myxi can tell you what stage your bun is at.

yes do get him to a good vet adn he needs antibiotics, metacam(pain relief and anti inflammatry) and ideally warmth, myxi nodular form which is what he has will be transmitted by biting insects i suppose this could be through mites but icould just as easily be mozzis or fleas or flys too.

keep him indoors constantly tempt him with food in order to get antibs into him easier try putting it into one of the following,
mushed banana or mushed apple/carrot puree, babyfoor(hipp red berrie and apple compote maybe?) or try on a spring green leaf, also our vet once told us to try mixing it with a small amount of neat ribena as baytril is very bitter. most buns wil ltake metacam easily due to its honey taste also a probiotic is usually used something like bio lapis? x

He had fur mites which hes been treated for so I presume hes got it through them. I'll try adding to some food, I was thinking of this but wasn't sure whether he would get it all.

Does anyone know how to upload pics into post? I've taken some but can't figure out how to get them on here.

sorry to hear about you rabbit firstly i will have to say this if you have other rabbits quaritine is very important change clothes wash hands etc when you have finished with ill bunny before going to the others you must do this and you must keep well away from other peoples rabbits quarintine your self from all rabbits for at least a month !!
the hutch the rabbit is in now will need destroying afterwards or at least bleaching and drying bleaching again and you must not put any rabbit in it for a few months to be safe yes this is that serious :?
not so long ago you had yo report myxi to the maff and they came out quarintine you and destroyed all rabbits in your care its a horried illness
i would personally if it happened to me have the rabbit pts its too much of a risk to the others
yes rabbits which are vaccinated do die from it its sad but true i know 6 vaccinated rabbits that have died from it its like the lotto luck of the draw as my vet said
as starlight has said your rabbit requires alot of medication and its costly for a uncertain outcome think this through and decided what you think is best i will warn you yes the rabbit may recover but it could cost £1000 it can still cost you a fortune and the rabbit could still die im sorry but i feel i have to be honest with you
good luck
ann xx

I think one needs to perhaps be cautious here.

There are other threads that discuss the evidence (or lack of) for transmission of myxi without direct blood to blood transfer via biting insects.This is not the place for this arguement to start again but it is fair that the person who has started this thread gets the other point of view.

I personally did NOT remove any of my other 16 buns from my myxi bun neither did I wash hands etc etc OR bleach the hutch or anything. Once I knew none of them had mites or fleas then the only danger that can be proven in my opinion is the transfer by biting insects. I have had 2 myxi buns (years apart) and in both cases they have not infected the other buns, despite my not quarentining them or myself.

I also have nursed both through myxi - one many years ago before the present drug and treatment regime was well known.

I know a lot of other people who have nursed vaccinated myxi buns through the illness - each bun reacts differently.

Depending on the serious ness and symptoms it may involve just a few trips to vets and the drug costs - it just happens that my latest myxi bun had associated nasal scabs which meant we had to spend a lot of money of nebulising and trying to get nasal breathing happening.

There are other threads that discuss the evidence (or lack of) for transmission of myxi without direct blood to blood transfer via biting insects.This is not the place for this arguement to start again but it is fair that the person who has started this thread gets the other point of view.

I personally did NOT remove any of my other 16 buns from my myxi bun neither did I wash hands etc etc OR bleach the hutch or anything. Once I knew none of them had mites or fleas then the only danger that can be proven in my opinion is the transfer by biting insects. I have had 2 myxi buns (years apart) and in both cases they have not infected the other buns, despite my not quarentining them or myself.

I also have nursed both through myxi - one many years ago before the present drug and treatment regime was well known.

I know a lot of other people who have nursed vaccinated myxi buns through the illness - each bun reacts differently.

Depending on the serious ness and symptoms it may involve just a few trips to vets and the drug costs - it just happens that my latest myxi bun had associated nasal scabs which meant we had to spend a lot of money of nebulising and trying to get nasal breathing happening.

I agree with that.Our vet also said it is the insect that spreads it not us.

i cant believe you did that how could you take such a risk ?
Myxomatosis is spread by direct contact with an affected animal or by being bitten by fleas or mosquitoes that have fed on an infected rabbit. The myxomatosis virus does not replicate in these insect hosts, but can be physically carried by an insect's mouthparts, i.e. from an infected rabbit to another susceptible animal. Due to the potential of insect vector transmission, pet rabbits may be susceptible in enzootic areas and vaccination is highly recommended.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis i think you need to read that link which is all about the horried illness and you will find it is passed on by direct contact between rabbit
my vet says were gloves when handling the rabbit and change clothes before handling others this illness wipes out rabbitrys every year its not a illness you can take lightly

i cant believe you did that how could you take such a risk ?
Myxomatosis is spread by direct contact with an affected animal or by being bitten by fleas or mosquitoes that have fed on an infected rabbit. The myxomatosis virus does not replicate in these insect hosts, but can be physically carried by an insect's mouthparts, i.e. from an infected rabbit to another susceptible animal. Due to the potential of insect vector transmission, pet rabbits may be susceptible in enzootic areas and vaccination is highly recommended.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis i think you need to read that link which is all about the horried illness and you will find it is passed on by direct contact between rabbit
my vet says were gloves when handling the rabbit and change clothes before handling others this illness wipes out rabbitrys every year its not a illness you can take lightly

I had 9 buns,3 got myxi and were still in the same garden as the others and none of them got it.

I had 9 buns,3 got myxi and were still in the same garden as the others and none of them got it.

well its still not worth the risk and its a risk i would never take i value my rabbits too much to risk losing them all, and yes if that means pts one to save the rest i will
im lucky i have not ever had it i quarentined myself from the school rabbits when they got it yes they were vacinated and both died from it
when my friends rabbits got it again vacinated rabbit i wouldnt let her come round for a month after the rabbits death too much of a risk in my eyes and its a risk i will never ever take

well its still not worth the risk and its a risk i would never take i value my rabbits too much to risk losing them all, and yes if that means pts one to save the rest i will
im lucky i have not ever had it i quarentined myself from the school rabbits when they got it yes they were vacinated and both died from it
when my friends rabbits got it again vacinated rabbit i wouldnt let her come round for a month after the rabbits death too much of a risk in my eyes and its a risk i will never ever take

Do you vaccinate all your Rabbits ?

Here are the inks to pics, they're not very clear but he looks comfortable even though he can't breath properly. Will he be in pain?

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01742.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

Yes he will be in pain.
I would maybe PM Starlights and parsnipbun, maybe also tinsel too, as they have all have experiance of myxi.
Hope bun makes it.

Back