• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pleae vote: which SPCA bunny should I go with?

Which rabbit should I pick at SPCA?

• 1) Monty

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 2) Max (Blacky)

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
I don't know if they would fight or not. So for now, Goofball lives upstair and these 2 monkeys lives downstair. I have to slowly introduce Hopper to Monty and give them some time to get to know each other before I introduce Goofball to them.

In this center, it's the one that stays here the longest, ends up PTS. Their age has no bearing in general.

This is why I picked this bunny as the female:

85701.jpg

because she stays there since April, and the volunteer over here was literally begging me to pick her, because her time is up, if the center ran out of space, she is the first one to go. And she has great personality, and the only other female I like is this little girl:

90118.jpg

which is yet another black color lop, so I figure if there are 2 lops, I can't tell which is which, so I might as well go w/ a different breed.

The volunteer also said that it is very sad after she get to know a bunny for 5 mth. (Hopper above), and then find out that she has to PTS due to lack of space. As such, Hopper is going home w/ me.

Anyhoo, going w/ your idea as to which one staying there for a long time, then I should pick Monty. Because as you can see from the browse button under adoption,

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

Monty was there since June 22, whereas Max was there in July 21, so if there is a new batch of bunnies, Monty would have to PTS before Max does, because Monty has been there for 1 month longer.

That black female lop looks like my Jet!

Aww thats sad, go for Monty then if thats how they decide, you seem to be more drawn to him too :D. It must be so hard for you to choose.

Will one die? Please have both Jason, you could have an outdoor enclosure too.

Well, just like your local SPCA, if the space is full, they put the oldest occupant to sleep first, isn't that the way it works at your place? But surely we can't rescue them all, every year, there would be some rabbits PTS at the local SPCA. What do your local rescue center do when they run out of space?

On Friday, I saw a bunny over there called Onyx. Then today, she's gone, I thought they put her to sleep, turns out in such a short time, someone adopted her.

So I'm freeing up 2 cages, and they should have more space.

That black female lop looks like my Jet!

Aww thats sad, go for Monty then if thats how they decide, you seem to be more drawn to him too :D. It must be so hard for you to choose.

Yeah, I spent about 7 - 8 hr. there already, I was there from 4:30 pm to 7 pm on Fri. and on Mon. afternoon, I was there from 4 to 7 pm

Cricky that's awfull, when you say my place, do you mean my rescue? I don't ever put to sleep, I have to have a waiting list for newbies. :D . If you measn RSPCA, I don't think Lucy does, in fact I know she doesn't, but I can't speak for them all.

Yeah, I mean the RSPCA in your entire country. So what happen when they run out of space?

I can't speak for all rspca branches, but some use this site to spread buns around the UK, I think some do waiting lists like RSPCA barnshill.

Today, I went to SPCA for the 3rd time (it's a long drive, from 1 edge of the city to the other edge of the city, from exteme North to extreme South), signed the paper and adopted Hopper and Monty.

It's a very surprising that when I was there on Mon., that someone adopted another rabbit (Onyx), so I'm glad I get my gears moving before someone else adopted Monty or Hopper.

Turns out Monty is an abandoned rabbit in another city, and living in the woods for a while, until someone catches him and drop him off to SPCA. (Likewise, Max was abandoned too) Clearly, his prev. owner is an A-hole.

Hopper was somehow bonded w/ another female named Chocolate. Chocolate was PTS in July by SPCA due to space limitation, which is strange because she came in the same day as Hopper. Hopper and Chocolate was purchased by someone at a pet store and took care of them for 2 mth., for whatever reason, they can't deal with them, and surrender them to SPCA.

It only costs $80 for 2 bunnies including the fixed surgery on Oct 1. If I were to pay at the vet clinic, it would cost $400

Last edited:
It is lovely when more unwanted bunnies go to a loving home.

Have you got them at your place now or do you pick them up after their surgery?

SPCA won't rel. them until after surgery, their rule is any pet leaving their place must be fixed

My only problem w/ them is that both bunnies has to be tattooed, I don't like people put tattoo on my bunnies. AFter chatting w/ those directors, there is nothing I can do.

Aww, congratulations on your new arrivals! The little dutch girl is gorgeous. Are you going to keep the names the centre gave them? :D

It's funny you ask. But no, I don't like "Hopper", it's too generic. But I could save the name Monty as his nick name.

With the Dutch, her fur is very thin, very different than my other bunnies, where I feel a thick layer of fur. I have to ask Fiona on her, as she has a few dutch.

W/ Monty, his fur is somewhat thick.

It's an identification mark I think..similar to a microchip? Floss& Bournville are both microchipped. I think all RSPCAs do that now.

they are both lovely bunnies and very lucky to have found a good home.
I think my local RSPCA puts rabbits to sleep if they have been there a long time and new ones come in :cry:

That's what I think, if they are full, they have no choice but to PTS the oldest resident.

The tattoo is a marking to track the bunny. They said that there are owner who abandon their SPCA animals, so with tattoo, they can find out who abandon that animal

Back