• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I bring elderly bunny inside?

bizziel

Alpha Buck
Hi, I have a 10 year old Nethie-cross called Harvey. My other bun died last winter so he is now on his own 😔. He has a hutch in a large shed with some runaround runs. I noticed that he got runny nose and eye a couple of weeks ago so took him to the vet. He had some metacam which seemed to sort it after a few days but it now seems to have come back, though less severely. I wondered if the damp and cold is getting to him. He has a couple of nest boxes with straw, the shed has some isolation and I give him a snuggle safe every night (no idea if he uses it as I never see him sat on it).

So I was thinking of bringing him into the spare room. I’ve done it before when they were sick in prior years but Harvey loves being outdoors. he’s a big grass eater and is not fussed on hay (he will eat ready grass if he is in as I have tried loads of hays and he didn’t like any). He loves his runs and sits on top his outdoor nest box for much of the day. So in really torn as to what would be best, any opinions? I don’t want to bring him in and make him miserable but I also want to keep him healthy.

I would be inclined to get the room ready to bring him in. Leave it completely unheated as he's used to being outside. If he's already got some lingering health issues, is elderly and now on his own, it's going to be a tough time outside in winter. If he's inside, you can keep an eye on him and interact with him a bit more so he has some company. You will also be able to pick up on any deterioration in health so much quicker. As the grass has now stopped growing, you could try growing some indoors maybe? Or set up some trays / large pots that can be rotated as they get eaten.

Once he's been brought inside for more than the odd night, he's going to have to stay until it warms up in Spring as his coat won't stay as thick as if he'd stayed outside.

I would be inclined to get the room ready to bring him in. Leave it completely unheated as he's used to being outside. If he's already got some lingering health issues, is elderly and now on his own, it's going to be a tough time outside in winter. If he's inside, you can keep an eye on him and interact with him a bit more so he has some company. You will also be able to pick up on any deterioration in health so much quicker. As the grass has now stopped growing, you could try growing some indoors maybe? Or set up some trays / large pots that can be rotated as they get eaten.

Once he's been brought inside for more than the odd night, he's going to have to stay until it warms up in Spring as his coat won't stay as thick as if he'd stayed outside.
Thank you Shimmer. I have brought him in and turned off the radiator as you suggest. I think you are right and it will be best for him over the winter and I will be able to interact with him and keep an eye in him more.

I'm glad you've brought him in, I agree with Shimmers post. You might find he enjoys it being indoors, and having some company, its good he enjoys Readigrass too., Hope he settles in ok.

I think its great that he can be inside. I have an elderly buck who is now alone (next door to a younger couple, but no one of his own to cuddle up to). Sadly I dont have anywhere indoors where he could live.

I had a couple of rabbits with major dental issues that hated being indoors, so I can understand your dilemma. They do eventually adapt. It's also somewhere that he has been before so isn't a total change of environment and will be better for him over the winter. I hope he's settling in Ok.

Back