• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pepper at vets again :(

How lovely that your friends have donated some hay to temp Pepper into eating. It is promising that he is eating some hay atm and it is impressive that he is quite chirpy tonight. He may enjoy carrot greens much more than the carrot. My Raven gets carrot greens only, no carrot.

Sending lots more vibes for you and Pepper.

thank you.
i have to go shopping later today so may get some carrot tops if they are available. also going up my mum's today so should be able to grab a load of stuff for him.

Hope Pepper had a good night Mike, sending more vibes for your boy xx

thank you, Pets Mum.
He seems quite well this morning so i have given him his Emeprid and let him outside for an hr or 2 - for a bit of exercise and hoping he will munch on some grass and also to observe him in his 'natural' habitat. he's only been out a couple of minutes so far but he is looking good - alert, bright ears & ears up, sat in the middle of the lawn which imo is good as when he's ill he usually sits under a shrub at the edge. just had a nibble of a couple of bits of grass so far, not fully eating yet.

Positive update Mike. I hope Pepper continues to have a steady recovery.
Topping up the vibes for Pepper. And a happy birthday to your mum.

Sending lots more vibes for Pepper. I'm not sure, but maybe getting back to full eating is possibly better if done relatively slowly, whilst his digestive system settles back to normal. I would be happy with him nibbling grass and it sounds as though he was eating during the night. Is his output OK now?

Sending more vibes for Pepper!

Glad he's seems more himself this morning.

My guys love a carrot top so I buy them occasionally but then we just have piles of carrots sitting about as we don't eat them so then they just end up in the composter which feels like a waste.

If you've got brambles somewhere I definitely think they helped Rodney through his latest episode it might be good to add to his tree leaves.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I also can get an overflow of carrots when Raven is recovering from a dental or stasis, so what we cannot eat I give to my sister or a friend. As long as you keep a short piece of orange on the greens they stay green, plus you can save the short nub and resproat the top like several ru people.. I bought a couple packs of seed too.
Sending more vibes .

well, he seems quite perky today, been enjoying the outside for a few hours, but he seemed fine just before his last episode.
i'm getting a bit paranoid over him, thought i heard some teeth grinding but he's eating a carrot :roll:

gkR4hzs.jpg

That's a lovely photo Mike. Pepper is presenting as very alert, good steady strong posture, nice bright eyes and perky ears. So there's alot of positives to take from that photo. And yes, they can go downhill very quickly - I think most of us know that feeling. I know the paranoid feeling that you mention. Your senses just get heightened and you just want to check on them every few minutes. Every grind, every shuffle and every still motion becomes a worry. It's easy to say "try not to worry" because you care and you do. It's perfectly ok to worry - Pepper is all the better with you watching over him so.
Topping up the vibes and hope Peppper has another comfortable and positive night, and continues to improve. xx

I think he's saying "When is the next carrot top coming? The service in here is awful" [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

He looks wonderful doing a Tulip periscope. All those nice greens should keep his tummy moving nicely. It is remarkable how well he looks so soon after the vets removed fur from his stomach. He is such a tough little bun.:love:
I have a soft spot for Pepper and am sending tons of positive vibes.

really pleased he's doing ok Mike, and that is such a lovely photo. Yes it's hard not to worry about them, know that feeling ! Sending lots more keep well vibes from me and George xx

What a teeny bundle of feistyness we now have.

He's doing fine so far. Got home from work as quick as possible and said hello & all was fine. Went to feel his tummy and he ran under the chair grunting at me. Tried to wet hands groom him while he was under the chair & he was using his front legs to fight me off and grunting & nipping. Was slightly worried it might be because he was getting ill again but i have been observing him all evening and i think not... he's munching on bits of stuff, not loads but sampling all the delights of his various buffet items in turn - broccoli leaves, apple leaves, rose leaves, hay (2 types) and carrot. quite a nice display of poops deposited too.
early days yet & I am still nervous but i think the pellet free diet may be proving beneficial.

he seems very bright eyed and alert and definitely wants to go outside but i have to go into the office again tomorrow so that's not possible. Due to possible cat issues neither are left outside when i have to go to the office so as soon as i get back i let Tulip out and they can't be out together - once he is better they will have to be rebonded which will takes a couple of weeks at least but when i'm at home they can take turns in going outside so he will have some garden time on Thursday.

Such a lovely photo. He is gorgeous and looks pretty spritely there [emoji4]

Glad he is doing better [emoji175]

Mr Chief really moulted last year and I used to dampen his fur and gently comb through with a flea comb and seemed to help with the moulting/collecting spare fur.

Best of luck with him. Sending you more vibes for little Pepper xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

It all sounds promising :) I hope he continues to do well. I wonder if he thinks about pellets and can't understand where they are.

Back