• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pepper at vets again :(

I'm sorry to read this update :( Sending loads of vibes for Pepper. I hope you get some more positive news from the vets soon.

Oh I'm so sorry. Sending vibes that he gets through this episode quickly.

Hopefully the exotics team can fit him in quickly, they have ultrasound, xrays and can do some blood tests on site so they might be able to track things down easily.

Big hugs x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

thank you everyone :love:
just got him home. he seems a lot better than yesterday, maybe at 50%. he will be sans pellets from now on but the nurse reckoned fur ingestion might be the culprit judging by what they removed so groomies every day for the little fella.

Really pleased that he's home again Mike, think he just likes the pretty nurses fussing round him :D yes daily groomies sounds good, I got Treacle into that routine as she couldn't do it very well herself, she really enjoyed it. More vibes for your boy xx

Sending lots of vibes!

Primrose couldn't tolerate nuggets at all, they triggered an immediate gut slow down followed by stasis even with just a couple. The intolerance developed gradually where she could have a little bit and be fine to complete intolerance over a couple of months.

It was the same for sugary things, she couldn't have any of the roots and such like carrot or fruits like apple. She could tolerate one dried cranberry and that was it so we saved those for meds bribery.

Could Pepper have something in his diet that's contributing to a slow down so the hair isn't moving through as it should?

Good luck with the brushing :thumb: Hope he continues to improve xxx

thank you :)
just done i attempt. i haven't got a hair brush & my daughter said no to one of hers so i used a washing-up brush to no effect. wet hands was much more successful & although very little came off better a little than nothing i think. was only able to do his back & sides today but hopefully he will get a bit more tolerant (although Chester who needed constant grooming never did :( )

Sending lots of vibes!

Primrose couldn't tolerate nuggets at all, they triggered an immediate gut slow down followed by stasis even with just a couple. The intolerance developed gradually where she could have a little bit and be fine to complete intolerance over a couple of months.

It was the same for sugary things, she couldn't have any of the roots and such like carrot or fruits like apple. She could tolerate one dried cranberry and that was it so we saved those for meds bribery.

Could Pepper have something in his diet that's contributing to a slow down so the hair isn't moving through as it should?

hmmm.... he's not going to be having any more pellets ever but will be giving him plum, apple & pear tree leaves every day from now on. he likes them which is handy. apart from that it will be grass from free-munching in the garden and whatever is suitable from the veg plot - atm purple sprouting broccoli leaves.
i've been examining some poops of his (from this week when he was inside) and also the garden. definitely some with hair in, especially the ones from this week. not loads, but after seeing how loose hair mats itself when rolled off my hands using the wet hands grooming method my suspicions are growing stronger.

Mike - sorry, just catching up here. I'm really sorry to read Pepper had another relapse but you are so incredibly well tuned into Pepper and you recognised the subtle shift in his behaviour so quickly - it's what makes you an exceptional bunny-dad. Pepper is here now because of your skillz.
I agree with the view that it's probably grooming/fur ingestion related as you also righly indicated that these episodes occur at the times of moulting. This obviously presents the problem about how to prevent further episodes and reading that you are grooming Pepper is certainly going to help. I have read that wet hands is an effective way to remove excess fur. There's also those sticky lint roller things that remove fur/hair from clothes. And the best hand held pet grooming thing I know of is the king zoom groom. It's the rolls royce of grooming for pets.
Sending millions of vibes for Pepper - I know that being at home, with you and Tulip will be the best tonic Pepper needs to make him recover. xx

hmmm.... he's not going to be having any more pellets ever but will be giving him plum, apple & pear tree leaves every day from now on. he likes them which is handy. apart from that it will be grass from free-munching in the garden and whatever is suitable from the veg plot - atm purple sprouting broccoli leaves.
i've been examining some poops of his (from this week when he was inside) and also the garden. definitely some with hair in, especially the ones from this week. not loads, but after seeing how loose hair mats itself when rolled off my hands using the wet hands grooming method my suspicions are growing stronger.

There's actually a question mark over Plum leaves (any stone fruit), which I'm not sure is 100% accurate, but if you have sufficient Apple and Pear, I'd use those in preference. Also I have previously picked a carrier bag full of Bramble leaves before and they keep very well in the fridge. They would also be beneficial.

It may be that Pepper has an actual physical problem, which the exotic vets should be able to determine. If that's the case, then a change of diet would possibly make little or no difference, or it might make it more manageable. On the other hand it may be just a combination of ingested fur plus diet. However, I would think it's certainly worth trying the dietary changes. It will be cost-free and can't make things worse in my view.

I'm so sorry little Pepper is unwell again. :( I'm so glad he's back home with you and Tulip again, and feeling better, and it's good that you have a plan for the future, of changing some things for him and seeing the exotics vet to look for a possible cause. Sending him lots of of vibes. It must be so worrying for you to see him get ill with this problem so often. :(

Ah grooming the recalcitrant rabbit. Can't tell you how much I dreaded brushing out Pip and especially Fiver as they didn't enjoy anything hands on, but at least Fiver would tolerate a wash up as he got more arthritic and couldn't reach his cecals properly. He was a minirex rabbit who'd been abused by little boys and while catching him for his ministrations often meant a bit of a chase and indignant oinking, once I had him he was relatively resigned to a 'spa day.'

With him it wasn't just pellets getting the kibosh, but I had to be very sure he had proper hydration. Water, water and more water, orally or sub q when it got drier in the house in winter. Any veg would bring on the splats and uneaten cecals despite his love for things like broccoli. Brassicas were a flat no in his diet.

I tried oat hay on him once and he fair gorged himself and I had about 24 hours of panic as he swelled up like a balloon...not with gas but the damned stuff just wouldn't move. We had to take him in for fluid and I think metaclop therapy. He did pass it eventually and made nice golden poos but it wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us. That's when I discovered he could only tolerate 3rd cut Timothy hay with occasional orchard grass and dandelion for a treat. He was also the one who got a thumb-tip sized bladder stone towards the last year we were in Alaska. That was the scariest surgery I'd ever had to put him through, but he survived, the little trooper.

Really hoping the grooming becomes easier. I used lint rollers on Fiver also. He never liked it but lots of love and the treats he could have afterward mended a lot of fences. His fluff was so light and airy, and sticky, I'd find it in the most annoying places on myself, I can only guess how much of it he was ingesting. It was always a worry.

Best of luck to you and prayers continuing for wee Pepper. xxxxx

It might be worth raiding some weeping willow, its rally easy to hang & stores well. Ash too (though mine say its nicer late in the season. Did he ever get properly in to hay eating?

I am sorry Pepper had a relapse. It only takes a small amount of fur in the right place-like the opening between stomach and intestine to cause a slowdone. The vets may not have removed the complete issue last week. I hope removing the fur has him on the road to recovery and he will soon be home.

I did not know until Jane posted that extruded pellets swell and cold pressed do not.

Raven is a small bunny 1.1kg and he has been known to give me a warning nip with some meds. Burrito never helped with him either. Instead I hold him with one of his arms between my second and third finger and my palm around his chest with my thumb under his other arm , his feet are on the ground ( my lap, the bed/chair), then I body block him from behind to steady him to insert the meds in his mouth from the side.

Sending you plenty of positive vibes.

Just caught up with this. So sorry Pepper has been poorly again. Sending lots and lots of vibes for a continued recovery xxx

It might be worth raiding some weeping willow, its rally easy to hang & stores well. Ash too (though mine say its nicer late in the season. Did he ever get properly in to hay eating?

he's eating a bit of hay atm, currently 2 types - green oat hay kindly donated by Craig and right this minute eating another one that was kindly donated by CarelessSquid. He seems to be quite enjoying it, albiet not eating loads like some other buns. Thank you both for the donations :love:

other things on the smorgasbord tonight are rose leaves, purple sprouting broccoli leaves & florets, pear leaves, apple leaves, birch leaves and carrot.
he seems quite chirpy tonight :thumb: :)

How lovely that your friends have donated some hay to temp Pepper into eating. It is promising that he is eating some hay atm and it is impressive that he is quite chirpy tonight. He may enjoy carrot greens much more than the carrot. My Raven gets carrot greens only, no carrot.

Sending lots more vibes for you and Pepper.

Back