• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buttons is at the vets

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
He was really enthusiastic about a rose we gave him at 2pm yesterday. At 3:30pm we got back with more forage and he was lying down in his usual corner and didn't come over to see what was going on, but he's done this before, especially when our bunnies are active, so we thought nothing of it. At 6pm, I went out to give him a bit of romaine middle and he wasn't having it, didn't even come to see me but then came over a few moments later and lay under the hutch and let me stroke him for ages. Refused food, not even pellets (he's become a pellet fiend like Lopsy XD) or mint, which he loves.

So off the the emergency vets. It's the 'usual' vet experience, wait in the car with phonecalls :) I took my dinner with me! He was presenting with abnormal symptoms (see below), so they kept him in overnight and syringe fed him every 2hrs, for which I am happy to pay as we are AWFUL at that sort of thing. Vet nurse who passed him back this morning said he's the first rabbit she's looked after who's not pulled his IV out until it was time to get ready to leave :lol: He's bright enough and likes the recovery food :lol: I dropped him off at my vets at 8:30 and he's been admitted :)

So, why weird? Well, his blood glucose was normal (well within the expected range), his temperature was just below normal but nothing to cause much concern, say, maybe 3hrs after he last ate? Fluid in his stomach, which could be anything, and reduced noise but not no noise. No sign of obstruction. I can presume they did a dental examination but found nothing (but no xray: my vets will get on that if necessary :)). Worst of all, no output :roll: So, an obstruction is unlikely with his blood glucose IIRC but no poo leads me to expect it :roll: He's had emeprid but no pain reflief because 'he didn't seem to need it' (true, his Rabbit Pain Scale presentations was more annoyed with everyone than in pain, little :censored: :lol:) and they've only got the stuff that wipes them out, and while he was happy to eat the recovery food they didn't want to make him sleepy. Makes sense.

I'm happy he's now at a vets I trust, because we all know how hit&miss emergency vets can be, but I'm happy with his treatment from the emergency vets :) I'm very happy they kept him overnight, I'm shattered and I got a decent night's sleep! :lol: Their estimate for how much it might cost was very high as well as they estimated £6-700 so I paid a £300 deposit, but then only an additional £150 this morning :) Better that way round!

I've just finished my breakfast and hung the washing out, now I'm going to get on with some work! Bloomin' rabbits XD

I hope Buttons recovers fast.I send a lot of vibrations for Buttons .xxxxxxxx

I'm sorry that Buttons isn't well :( I hope you get some more clues as to what's going on this morning from your usual vets. Wow nasty shock of a bill from the OOH :( Sending him lots of vibes.

Thankyou very much, I hope we can get some answers!

I'm sorry that Buttons isn't well :( I hope you get some more clues as to what's going on this morning from your usual vets. Wow nasty shock of a bill from the OOH :( Sending him lots of vibes.
Yeah Matt was really shocked (actually I haven't told him it was cheaper yet, haven't had a chance! :lol:). I understand how and why it's really expensivethough. I should add our VetsNow is currently £100 for the OOH fee and £60 for the initial consult, which was included. So it's about 3x my vets' costs, and my vet isn't cheap but not super expensive. Although I have to pay for parking at my vets (or risk a fine I guess!) but I can wait inside, whereas VetsNow is our PDSA site and it's free parking :lol:

Poor lad. Sorry but no pain relief is just not on. :cry: Hopefully your usual Vet addressed that pdq.

Hope he will be feeling better soon.

Poor lad. Sorry but no pain relief is just not on. :cry: Hopefully your usual Vet addressed that pdq.

Hope he will be feeling better soon.
Thanks :) Yeah, I wasn't exactly happy about it but knowing that he'd been eating and how active he was in the carrier I was reassured he wasn't too badly off, but I'm annoyed I didn't ring and ask about dosing before I took him yesterday as I have unopened in-date dog metacam at home :S At my vets it's the first thing they do with rabbits (within reason!) :roll: So hopefully he didn't have too long to wait to get some. I guess that might be stopping him actively eating (could be teeth?) but I'm much more concerned about no output: I can't help him with that at home, can't syringe poo out of him like I can get food into him! :S

Vet update:

Some poo (woohoo!) and he's eating on his own a little. I need to ring for an update at 15:30 but he might need to stay with them overnight :)

Vet update:

Some poo (woohoo!) and he's eating on his own a little. I need to ring for an update at 15:30 but he might need to stay with them overnight :)
Oh I've only just saw this! Poor baby :( I hope he improves quickly! Do they think it could be teeth? Or maybe fur if he's moulting? Sending him so many vibes xx

Oh, poor Buttons. :( I'm sorry he's unwell. I'm glad there's been some poo now and that he's eating a little. I hope he'll continue to get better. Lots and lots of vibes for him.

Yay for poop. What a stinker of a bill though & no pain relief. Lots of vibes for a full recovery

It might be that he just had painful gas, Clementine gets that with some forage and is like that! I wondering if the rose upset his system! Who knows tho, buns are a mystery [emoji38]

Just saw the vets bill [emoji51][emoji51] vets now really know how to charge don't they! I'm glad he seems better in himself though :)

I wondering if the rose upset his system! Who knows tho, buns are a mystery
Matt was a bit mortified as he knew it was his 'last meal' at that point :S

Update from the rescue his brother's at: Hawthorn-was-Oreo has syphilis, so we need to check Buttons for this too! Could this explain (some of) the symptoms? I'm off to Google now as well :) ETA well it doesn't seem to but his recent vaccine(s) might have triggered something. I hope Hawthorn's OK (he's on depocillin injections :)).

Last edited:

Update from the rescue his brother's at: Hawthorn-was-Oreo has syphilis, so we need to check Buttons for this too! Could this explain (some of) the symptoms? I'm off to Google now as well :) ETA well it doesn't seem to but his recent vaccine(s) might have triggered something. I hope Hawthorn's OK (he's on depocillin injections :)).

Nope, Treponematosis is unlikely to cause gut stasis. He may have no lesions but could be a carrier. As he won’t be used for Breeding this should not be a problem. He would only need treatment if he became symptomatic. As treatment is a course of Penicillin injections I would not want him to have to have this whilst already in gut stasis.

Tethra had Syphilis too. Didn't seem to both him much and I don't think it stopped him eating. He had a course of Depocillin, which cleared it up, although he retained a scar just above his nose.

Tui didn't stop eating, but was certainly much less keen to eat for two or three days after her vaccine recently.

Nope, Treponematosis is unlikely to cause gut stasis. He may have no lesions but could be a carrier. As he won’t be used for Breeding this should not be a problem. He would only need treatment if he became symptomatic. As treatment is a course of Penicillin injections I would not want him to have to have this whilst already in gut stasis.
Excellent info, thankyou very much :D He's showing no sypmtoms, at least no scabs or similar on his face area as I couldn't see his genitals, but I know what to look for now if it does start. Hawthorn had a couple of scabs (lip and testicle) and the lip one was initally put down to them fighting, but it's obviously not got any better in 3wks! Slightly worried mine might get it but, from what I read, they might get it *anyway* from no obvious source or be carriers, but forewarned is forearmed :D

[emoji38][emoji38]

I don't feel like Buttons would let that be the case [emoji38] I'm getting a determined bun vibe from him [emoji38]

Oh Geeze! Unlucky buns, supposedly that's quite easy to clear up with the injections, I had a bun that had that once. Hopefully Buttons doesn't get it, although he's almost certainly been exposed to it. I hope your buns don't get it! That's the last thing you need [emoji51]

Back