• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope is dead

I am so sorry you lost Penelope. Instead of getting to her too late, think of it as getting to her just in time for her feel your love one more time in her final moments.

A sudden bunny loss happened to me years ago. My spouse saw my bunny eating and happy when he woke up and my bunny was gone minutes later. I was in so much shock I could not process the loss when my spouse woke me to tell me my healthy/happy bunny died.

Sending you and Apricot lots of gently hugs.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Such a shock for you and your family:cry: So tragic. At least it happened quick and she didn't suffer.

Rip Penelope

So so sorry to read this sad and shocking news.

Sudden deaths are so hard to come to terms with. I hope the PM gives you answers and those answers tell you that you couldn't have done anything, she wasn't suffering and the others are not at risk.

I'm so sorry Graciee. I'm sure there was nothing you could do and Apricot will be fine. Sending you virtual bun nose bumps

So sorry to hear this, and can understand why you’re so upset. I’m sure there was nothing else you could have done.

Thinking of you and Apricot

Xx

Oh Graciee, just read your post, and just so very sorry to hear this. What an awful shock for you and Michael. Sending you a big hug and a nose rub for Apricot xx sweet dreams beautiful Penelope xxx

Graciee - I am deeply saddened to read this about Penelope. I am sorry I don’t have the right words to help you at this moment - but I do know who you must be feeling right now. Penelope was a big character on here, a beautiful rabbit whose antics I loved to follow.
Your description of how she passed did resonate with me as it had similarities to Leo. All I can suggest by way of a possible cause is to ask your vet about pasturella - whether this had any bearing. It sounded to me as if it was heart related but I hope your vet can give you some sort of closure. I’m really sorry that you’ve lost Penelope.
Binkey free beautiful sweet Penelope. We will always remember you here.xx

I am so so sorry you have lost Penelope. Maybe a sudden heart attack with the heat? Hope the Vet can give you an answer. It's such a shock when you have no fore-warning. :cry:

I am so so sorry you have lost Penelope. Maybe a sudden heart attack with the heat? Hope the Vet can give you an answer. It's such a shock when you have no fore-warning. :cry:
It wasn't even warm that's the thing :( was 20 degrees in the kitchen, we have a thermometer in there. I am wondering if it was a heart attack though :( maybe she had a heart condition and we never knew :( other than that incident with her leg last year she's been in perfect health the whole time and so full of energy. I just don't understand what happened :( Michael has taken her to the vets now, she looked so perfect and peaceful in her carrier :'(

Graciee - I am deeply saddened to read this about Penelope. I am sorry I don’t have the right words to help you at this moment - but I do know who you must be feeling right now. Penelope was a big character on here, a beautiful rabbit whose antics I loved to follow.
Your description of how she passed did resonate with me as it had similarities to Leo. All I can suggest by way of a possible cause is to ask your vet about pasturella - whether this had any bearing. It sounded to me as if it was heart related but I hope your vet can give you some sort of closure. I’m really sorry that you’ve lost Penelope.
Binkey free beautiful sweet Penelope. We will always remember you here.xx
I'll have a look at pasturella, thanks Craig. I'm hoping my vet will be able to find out what happened :(

I still can’t believe what has happened, goodness knows how you must be feeling :cry:
Me either, I keep looking at Apricot expecting to see Penelope laying next to her like always :'(

Hopefully William will have an idea what happened :'( should hear back this afternoon apparently.

Apricot looks so lost :'(

I'm so, so sorry :( I'd also echo the 'you got there just in time' and 'you've done more than your best' comments. Having had a rabbit go suddenly with no prior conditons there's nothing that prepares you for it, and I hope the PM at least gives you comfort that it's not something Apricot might also have, especially not something contagious and external. Heart conditions are very hard to diagnose if there are no prior signs, and there are so many brain things that just stop things from working. I would expect it's something she's had a long time but never had any symptoms of, so you just wouldn't, couldn't know. That's how Charlie went, he was fine until he had a very brief fit and was gone :(

I really hope you get some answers, even if it's just 'definitely not X etc.'. Big hugs.

Back