• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope injured leg :(

I haven't been on for a few days but reading the latest news now and topping up vibes from Bertieville. xx

Thanks everyone [emoji7]

Took her to the vets today, William is happy with her, he thinks the fur is her not grooming herself which it could be tbh. Will be keeping an eye! I've been cleaning her eyes daily because she can't groom so would make sense [emoji38]

He showed me lots of pictures of the op, fascinating what they did :)

She's not putting any weight down on it still, and it's just a long recovery ahead really. Fingers crossed it all works out and she can run around with Apricot again :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Bless her, glad vet is pleased with her progress, I'm sure she'll soon be hopping around like her old self xx

Good update. Is she moving leg without weight bearing or did William suggest any home pt ? or is it still too soon after op?
She is lucky to have you to think of details like grooming eyes.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that William is happy with her recovery so far. Did he suggest any physiotherapy ?
Thanks everyone :)

We spoke about it, gunna see how it goes, at the moment we don't think it's a good idea, and will stress her out. She's still very painful too. It's difficult with her sight and she's a more nervous bun anyway, I'm not sure how it would work tbh! Too soon now anyway so just gunna play it by ear for now.

Thanks everyone :)

We spoke about it, gunna see how it goes, at the moment we don't think it's a good idea, and will stress her out. She's still very painful too. It's difficult with her sight and she's a more nervous bun anyway, I'm not sure how it would work tbh! Too soon now anyway so just gunna play it by ear for now.

Yes, some Bunnies would not be able to tolerate the hands on care involved with physio, Aoife certainly wouldn't x

I’m pleased that the vet and the team are pleased with how the op went and penelopes ongoing recovery. Your doing ab amazing job with her aftercare and recouperation. Each day is a day penelopes leg heals and improves. Time will be your friend and she is very lucky to have you looking after her.
Topping up the vibes for Penelope. Xx

Hows Miss P now?
She's doing really well :) still doing pain meds twice a day atm, she did her first awkward hop today though with both feet on the floor :D wound looks good I think, I'm no expert but looks clean, and like it's healing well so I'm very pleased :)

Great update on Penelope. You are doing an amazing job with her and being so watchful. She is in excellent care with you. xx

Good start Penlope. Is Apricot with her?
Yea they're still together, I've been watching them really carefully, I think it's her not grooming herself [emoji38] good job I didn't panic [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Great update on Penelope. You are doing an amazing job with her and being so watchful. She is in excellent care with you. xx
Thanks Craig, that's so nice of you to say, I feel like I've got too much on atm and I'm struggling a bit tbh, but I'm trying really hard to monitor and groom Penelope and make sure she's okay xx

Back