• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penelope injured leg :(

Sending lots more vibes for Penelope this morning. I hope she starts to eat a bit more today. Can you recall how she was after her spay? I know that Tui didn't really start to eat properly by herself until early morning the day after the op and then it took most of that day for her to return to normal eating.
She wasn't good after her spay, she was in a lot of pain, ended up on tramadol as well as loxicom and gut meds because she wasn't eating, then all the drugs seemed to knock her out and make her impossibly tired [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

She has loads of pulled tufts on her sides.. Idk what to do really my gut says Apricot is bullying her. Idk what to do tbh :(

She has loads of pulled tufts on her sides.. Idk what to do really my gut says Apricot is bullying her. Idk what to do tbh :(

:( Can you leave Penelope at the top & put Apricot in the downstairs bit til you get a chance to observe them. Horribly stressful for you

:( Can you leave Penelope at the top & put Apricot in the downstairs bit til you get a chance to observe them. Horribly stressful for you

Yes, I would do that as Penelope won’t be able to defend herself atm and she does not need competition for food either x

I totally can, but I'm worried about breaking their bond :( plus what if its not even that.. Penelope relies on Apricot so much.. I wish I could know for sure.. But fur pulls only could mean one thing?

Yes, I would do that as Penelope won’t be able to defend herself atm and she does not need competition for food either x
Well there's just hay everywhere, anything else is fed individually and evenly so there's no worry there.. I'm just worried about Apricot injuring her :( it's so hard to call :(

So I took some dill out, which they ate together, no aggression, and then they ate some hay next to each other... They seem fine.. But there's so much fur pulled I don't understand it..

I've checked Penelope's leg a few times, all looks clean and good, she's not putting any weight on it though and is very unsteady on her feet.

I think I'd split them, even if only for 24 hours or so. If you're seeing more tufts today, then it would appear that it must be Apricot that is causing this. If so, then that will be stressful in itself for Penelope. I wouldn't worry too much about their bond at the moment as I think that once Penelope gets back to her normal self there will not be an issue with them being together again.

I think I'd split them, even if only for 24 hours or so. If you're seeing more tufts today, then it would appear that it must be Apricot that is causing this. If so, then that will be stressful in itself for Penelope. I wouldn't worry too much about their bond at the moment as I think that once Penelope gets back to her normal self there will not be an issue with them being together again.

Yea this exact thing happened with Atticus and Clementine and they've never got back together :( that's what scares me tbh. I seem to be really rubbish with bunny bonds :(

Yea this exact thing happened with Atticus and Clementine and they've never got back together :( that's what scares me tbh. I seem to be really rubbish with bunny bonds :(

Sorry you are going through this, hope all works well for you. x

The only other possibility I was considering is whether Penelope would have been held in some sort of brace? while they performed the op. I've really no idea whether that is how the op is done, but it could explain tufts. What it probably wouldn't explain though is if there is an increase today in the tufts from yesterday.

The only other possibility I was considering is whether Penelope would have been held in some sort of brace? while they performed the op. I've really no idea whether that is how the op is done, but it could explain tufts. What it probably wouldn't explain though is if there is an increase today in the tufts from yesterday.
That's a point, I'm not sure. It's so hard to call, going to observe more before reacting I think

Could she be doing it to herself if she's upset? I hope it settles down and they're able to keep their bond x

Sending more vibes. I understand why you do not want to separate, yet that does not mean they can not ever be together again. Is Penelope normally the dominent bun? Your white bunnies seem so evenly matched when they are not ill.
You said they had a strong bond before the op and separation may just be temporary. Hugs.

Last edited:
Could you pop them together but separate?

Bit like the first stage of slow bonding so they can see and comfort each other but out of reach for nips.

Could it be the result of a poor shaving at the vets and now it's being groomed out?

This happened to Rodney when he was shaved for his blood tests. Tufts all around it once he started trying to clean himself up.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

I think the only way would be to put Apricot downstairs tbh, she'd then have run access too. We'll see.

Penelope seems brighter this morning but can barely move still. I saw her giving a few grooms to Apricot not sure if that's a good sign or not, Apricot basically ignored them, never seen Penelope groom Apricot before tbh.. At first I was happy but then I wondered if its because there's tension between them Idk. Anyone have any idea about bun behaviour? It's really not my strong point unfortunately

I hope she has improved over today, topping up the Vibes and hugs. I don’t have any suggestions on the grooming behaviour I’m afraid!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

I think the only way would be to put Apricot downstairs tbh, she'd then have run access too. We'll see.

Penelope seems brighter this morning but can barely move still. I saw her giving a few grooms to Apricot not sure if that's a good sign or not, Apricot basically ignored them, never seen Penelope groom Apricot before tbh.. At first I was happy but then I wondered if its because there's tension between them Idk. Anyone have any idea about bun behaviour? It's really not my strong point unfortunately

Penelope grooming Apricot will make Apricot feel superior and it will be less likely that she will feel the need to assert her authority. I hope that Penelope has coped as well as possible today, sorry I missed your update til now x

Back