• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Don't wanna jinx anything but...

I don't think Atticus would get better care with anyone, including a vet. You know him, and he trusts you, he's a lucky bunny being in your care x

At least he wouldn't have to wait for tramadol with a vet [emoji38] that was a big mistake on my part I really didn't know I'd nearly run out until the next dose was due [emoji51]

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

I def echo above, its obvious you care for him and he is very well cared for with you. I'd imagine some may not even care enough to have kept him with these issues - and certainly not tried as hard as you do.

I can somewhat relate to how frightening megacolon is - my friend has a permanent resident to her rescue who suffers megacolon. its horrible and frightening every time. they can only really do as you do, IV, meds, force feed. it sucks nonetheless

Yea Michael said that, that he's glad we've got Atticus because he reckons some people wouldn't have kept him :( can't imagine getting rid of an animal that needs your care!

Poor bun :( is she keeping the bun because she can't rehome them?

Yea Michael said that, that he's glad we've got Atticus because he reckons some people wouldn't have kept him :( can't imagine getting rid of an animal that needs your care!

Poor bun :( is she keeping the bun because she can't rehome them?

tbh I can speak from Luna.. when we found out she was blind I had so many people ask me if I'd rehome her or even PTS because she's disabled..? & then when she got diagnosed with arthritis at 2.6 years old roughly. I got asked if I'd rehome her or what Id do since the metacam could kill her. I mean..sure.. but I wanna make her comfortable ? even if that knocks some years off of her. idek

& yeah :( they decided he wasn't easily adoptable due to his megacolon. being a rescue, they can easily have in IV fluids, medicine, always at hand. for somebody else adopting, it might prove difficult for them to have meds on hand. it may have to wait until they get a vet appt, which may be too late. & then finding somebody comfortable to even do IV fluids at home.. they decided he has the best care at the rescue (well, he lives in her house for constant monitoring) and didn't feel comfortable adopting him out.

tbh I can speak from Luna.. when we found out she was blind I had so many people ask me if I'd rehome her or even PTS because she's disabled..? & then when she got diagnosed with arthritis at 2.6 years old roughly. I got asked if I'd rehome her or what Id do since the metacam could kill her. I mean..sure.. but I wanna make her comfortable ? even if that knocks some years off of her. idek

& yeah :( they decided he wasn't easily adoptable due to his megacolon. being a rescue, they can easily have in IV fluids, medicine, always at hand. for somebody else adopting, it might prove difficult for them to have meds on hand. it may have to wait until they get a vet appt, which may be too late. & then finding somebody comfortable to even do IV fluids at home.. they decided he has the best care at the rescue (well, he lives in her house for constant monitoring) and didn't feel comfortable adopting him out.
Christ, Penelope is blind and Clementine has arthritis... Don't tell them that [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

At least he gets the right care :)

Oh no I'm sure that's not true, honestly they would've got the best care with you. Sometimes we can do our absolute best but the bun just is too unwell I think. Everytime Atticus gets sick I'm just winging it, I don't really know what I'm doing tbh, I just do the meds and keep trying different foods etc and do the fluids /feeds, it's what everyone does for their bun when they've got stasis. It just sucks he has this, because it's like mega stasis when he has an episode [emoji51] when the others have had stasis in the past it's completely different to an Atticus episode [emoji51] which does make it hard to manage /predict I think. Megacolon is a horrible thing to have :(

Thank you for your kind words. Yeah, stasis in megacolon buns was like turning off a switch so within a few hoors they went from eating drinking normally and bouncing around to being critically ill.
Sending some stay well vibes.

Thank you for your kind words. Yeah, stasis in megacolon buns was like turning off a switch so within a few hoors they went from eating drinking normally and bouncing around to being critically ill.
Sending some stay well vibes.

Yea exactly, and it's not just a bit oh he stopped eating and looks a little uncomfortable.. It's **** he's in a really bad way out of nowhere! [emoji51] Still remember the first time he had a bad episode the vet thought he might have a tumour... But it was just poop [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Yea exactly, and it's not just a bit oh he stopped eating and looks a little uncomfortable.. It's **** he's in a really bad way out of nowhere! [emoji51] Still remember the first time he had a bad episode the vet thought he might have a tumour... But it was just poop [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

I know exactly what you mean. Dash was thin so I could feel them in his gut too. He ate so much hay and he ate very quickly, and I also gave him dandelion greens, yet he was always thin, even when he had a longer stretch between episodes. I wonder if the megacolon also kept him from absorbing the calories.

I know exactly what you mean. Dash was thin so I could feel them in his gut too. He ate so much hay and he ate very quickly, and I also gave him dandelion greens, yet he was always thin, even when he had a longer stretch between episodes. I wonder if the megacolon also kept him from absorbing the calories.

It does, it can help to give a PREbiotic as these can aid absorption of dietary nutrients :)

It does, it can help to give a PREbiotic as these can aid absorption of dietary nutrients :)
Yea we were feeding him these for a while

https://www.protexinvet.com/pro-fibre-for-rabbits/p32

But we ran out and I noticed his daily splats improved a bit [emoji849] so took him off them, Idk if that was a mistake, he just doesn't tolerate any food really, everything makes him unwell. I do need him to gain some weight though he was 2.5kg with the huge stomach and all the backed up stuff inside him :( he's so thin when you pick him up :(

It's weird because when he first went on them I noticed they seemed to help a little.

How is Atticus today?
He's doing really well :D nomming and springy, he's still being unwell but that normally takes a while to settle down again tbh, so not worried about that. Thank you for asking x

such good news & now you have 2 happy pairs :love:
Yea :D is so nice having Clementine and Atticus together, altho it's tricky atm, Atticus is unwell so I don't want him near Evelyn, as she's crawling now [emoji38]

Yea :D is so nice having Clementine and Atticus together, altho it's tricky atm, Atticus is unwell so I don't want him near Evelyn, as she's crawling now [emoji38]

.. I can imagine. when my nephew came to visit the rabbits litter box was SUPER interesting :lol:

I'm so glad he's eating :D

Back