• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after spay, help please! U/D P83

It is good news that things have started moving but keep going with tempting her with different stuff. Try grating the carrot too. It is sweet, as is apple but anything to tempt her at the moment and she is not eating loads. If she is chomping at the syringe this is a good sign as she is taking it willingly. Tickle / gently stroke her under the chin with her parsely, this sometimes works ;) they snatch it from you.

If you'd have told me this 2 weeks ago I would have no way done it for fear of having my fingers bitten off! But now she's spayed (I keep forgetting, yet the spay, according to the vet, caused all of this:oops:) I'll try that :D I don't want to annoy her though,because when I went through my operations I was very sore and in pain, heavily dosed up on morphine and the LAST thing I would want is someone waving mcdonalds under my chin ;) I'll try that though :p

Get a long piece ;) and just put it under her chin and bring it up. You don't have to annoy her with it but if all fails you could do and she may snatch it from you.

Good luck. My girl is feisty too and it worked for her.

Get a long piece ;) and just put it under her chin and bring it up. You don't have to annoy her with it but if all fails you could do and she may snatch it from you.

Good luck. My girl is feisty too and it worked for her.

she ignores it totally :shock: Normally she loves parsley and she'd at least move away if i did that, never mind snap, but she's just ignoring it! She's also spitting all her fibreplex out the little minx. Earlier I was crying because I thought we were going to lose her, now I'm growling with frustration at her!:evil::lol:

She took her baby food mixed with CC excellent just now and has done more poos :D I *think* we're nearly out of the woods! :D:D

Poo!!!! Shell way soon enough.
So glad to hear she's improving. May it continue.
I'm wondering if you let her walk about on some grass would she maybe eat it? I know its getting late, and im not sure what the weather is like where you are. Just a wee thought. Maybe someone else can say if they think this would help?
xxxx

Poo!!!! Shell way soon enough.
So glad to hear she's improving. May it continue.
I'm wondering if you let her walk about on some grass would she maybe eat it? I know its getting late, and im not sure what the weather is like where you are. Just a wee thought. Maybe someone else can say if they think this would help?
xxxx

It's literally like winter here, cold and rainy, as well as pretty dark. We did wonder about it earlier but we 1) didnt want to risk anything infecting/sticking in her wound and 2) because she wasnt pooing at first, we couldnt have seen if she'd pood or weed on the grass and that was vital. she's hopping round the kitchen at the moment but she's still not eating by herself. This bill is going to be pretty steep i think, we've got an appt at 10.30 tomorrow and I suspect we'll be coming home with yet again more meds :shock: xxxx

My god, she's finally eating of her own accord. Mums just given her 2 dandelion leaves and she took them. I've finally got my girl back, can't believe this to be honest! This morning we made an appointment to put her down, now she's eating of her own accord! She really is a fighter :love:

Although I have exhausted myself and made myself ill, I can barely move off the sofa :oops:

Our female rabbit suddenly went off colour a few months ago, i had her at the vets, brought her home with a view to taking her back tomorrow if nothing changed. I tried her with everything including shreedies as all our rabbits have loved them ( i know they arent rabbit food but sometimes you get desparate)

Anyway after a few hours of me trying everything possible my daughter came home with some more veg fresh from the supermarket and she ate the lot! reckon a change of person and fresher veg did the trick.

Flippin bunnies eh, good luck with your little one. Our female was 5 and a half when we spayed her. dont give up on her yet. x

:D:D:D

She's not eating pellets and that yet, but she also eat a stalk of broccoli which is good. I'm still going to syringe feed her thoughout the night and give her the meds but hopefully she'll come back to normal tomorrow and I won't have to, I'm getting up at 2 and 5:30 which is fun :lol: I'm so pleased though!

You are an awesome bunny mummy :) get some rest.
Sounds as though she is on the mend.
Fingers and paws crossed xxxxx

Awww I wouldn't go that far! But Thankyou, it's lovely of you to say that! Just given her bedtime dose and I'm now going to bed until 2am, so tired! Thankyou so much xxxx

Doughnut didn't want her pellets after her spay for about four days. Just fresh herbs and hay and dandelion and i think that's normal. So no worries there. Long may the improvement continue.

You are a grea mummy. Hope you manage to sleep in between and not lie there worrying like i did.

Just got back from the vets and Vicky said that Dee has made a miraculous recovery!:D I was woken up to the sound of NOMMING this morning!! She's been nomming on her hay and some dandelion leaves we've put in for her, but when Mum tried to give her a pellet, she took it then spat it out :roll: She's still pooing as well, and she took both her feeds and medicine well in the early hours. I'm absolutely shattered though! The only slight downside is that with all these medicines shes got in her system, cos they're obviously high in fluids she's weeing so much, got through so much newspaper!

A few pictures of the gorgeous girl herself:
084.jpg

RabbitsJune2012020.jpg

RabbitsJune2012012.jpg

RabbitsJune2012007.jpg

(These werent recent, they were taken last month!)

Last edited:
:love: She is beautiful. Don't worry too much about the pellets as that will come over the next day or so. Just make sure she has plenty to eat and top her up with critical care if need be.

So pleased she is feeling better.

Back