• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after spay, help please! U/D P83

She's probably tired with all what's been going on and the meds, poor little thing. I keep logging on her to find out how she is, thanks for keeping us all updated.

We has a poooooooo! :D It was like a yucky, soft cecatroph :mrgreen: (sp!) sort of thing and i think that was what she was straining to get out. I can hear her hopping round her cage and she's weeing a lot, so now we just need to keep the ball rolling (so to speak!) and hope she keeps making poo! I know we're not out of the woods yet, not by a long way, but this may be able to buy us some time and prolong the euthanasia because she has pooed. Now we just need her gut to start contracting and move all that food down! This has been an absolute nightmare but it finally looks like there MAY be light at the end of the tunnel. She's also looking brighter and is holding herself more when handled, at first she was a floppy little black thing but now she's resisting slightly which is what she used to do before she got so ill. I'm forcing myself to not get too excited because I know she can still go downhill, but it's looking a bit more promising :D Will keep you all updated! thankyou all so much, it really means a lot :love:

One poop is better than none! exercise is good for getting the gut going but since she's not well I guess that isn't going to happen. The meds should definitely give her a good chance and you know you've done everything you can. I imagine her lying down with all different food around her hoping to tempt her!

cpayne - she's been hopping round the kitchen on the carpet for about 30 mins and we think that helped. :lol::lol::lol: she does indeed have a whole range of food placed next to her!

MORE POOS :D:D:D:D:D:D:D not proper ones, like little unformed cecatrophs (excuse my spelling, tired and drained!) but yayayayayayayay anyway. She's holding herself more now even when she's in the cage, her head is higher and she looks more comfortable. I can't express how happy I am, JUST KEEP GOING DEE! :D:D:D

cpayne - she's been hopping round the kitchen on the carpet for about 30 mins and we think that helped. :lol::lol::lol: she does indeed have a whole range of food placed next to her!

MORE POOS :D:D:D:D:D:D:D not proper ones, like little unformed cecatrophs (excuse my spelling, tired and drained!) but yayayayayayayay anyway. She's holding herself more now even when she's in the cage, her head is higher and she looks more comfortable. I can't express how happy I am, JUST KEEP GOING DEE! :D:D:D

I know it can take humins 4 days sometimes to poop after general anaesthetic and get to feel very uncomfortable so I don't see why it should be any different for bunnies. I'm sure she'll feel a lot better now she's got some of that out.:mrgreen:

So pleased for you...its such a relief when they poop after nothing coming out for so long.....keeping the pooping vibes going and hopefully soon she will leave a lovely pile of golden poops for you!

I doubt she would be hopping round if she felt that unwell. Looks like the meds have fully kicked in and hopefully at least the infection is getting better so she feels a bit better. So pleased she's had a bit of exercise!

Let me know if she likes the rose petals. :D

I'm waiting for a hard poop now!

I genuinely want to cry haha, I'm so thrilled. I doubt they'd be golden as shes not eating any hay the little devil :evil: but still, POOOOOOS :D

she'll be needing a nappy on at this rate! :shock::lol: she's been doing a LOT of poos and they are slowly changing from cecatrophs to proper formed pellets! :D:D:D:D:D:D

she'll be needing a nappy on at this rate! :shock::lol: she's been doing a LOT of poos and they are slowly changing from cecatrophs to proper formed pellets! :D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D Has she started showing more interest in food now things are working at the other end?

:D:D:D Has she started showing more interest in food now things are working at the other end?

Alas, no :( But she managed all of her syringe food (albeit mixed with baba food!) and didnt spit out, she was chomping on the syringe. Still, little steps! I've moved her littertray into the corner she does her stuff in because we've got through so much newspaper in the past 45 mins or so!:lol:

Actually I've just had a thought. She's got cauliflower leaves, dill, parsley, carrot and apple in with her, if by any miraculous chance she decides to have a nom, will any of these cause diarrhea what with her having medicine? I definitely don't want that!

Yay, there must be so many inside her waiting to make an appearance. Bet you'll never complain about picking her poop up!

I remember when Doughnut was ill for a few days. She always rattles her hutch wire, she's indoors in the lounge under my bedroom. I can hear her and she wakes me up at the weekend to be fed. When she was ill she didn't do it as had not interest in food. She started eating again but wasn't desperate for pellets like she normally is. I always used to listen out in the morning for it, hoping she would do it but she didn't. Once she was fully recovered she returned to doing it, now I never think I wish I could have a lie in and she didn't do it. It's so re-assuring and now I think ah bless her!

Actually I've just had a thought. She's got cauliflower leaves, dill, parsley, carrot and apple in with her, if by any miraculous chance she decides to have a nom, will any of these cause diarrhea what with her having medicine? I definitely don't want that!

I don't know, dill and parsley are good for her. Don't know about cauliflower leaves but I don't think she is going to be eating huge amounts to cause it, you are just trying to tempt her. If she does eat lots of carrot or apple I would then take the other one away as they are both sweet, but at the moment I'd say leave it to get her eating. I'm not an expert though and someone with more knowledge will hopefully come along and advise.

It is good news that things have started moving but keep going with tempting her with different stuff. Try grating the carrot too. It is sweet, as is apple but anything to tempt her at the moment and she is not eating loads. If she is chomping at the syringe this is a good sign as she is taking it willingly. Tickle / gently stroke her under the chin with her parsely, this sometimes works ;) they snatch it from you.

Back