• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neuter scare today

chance

Warren Scout
Hi 2 of my bunnys (7months ) went to be neutered today, had a call from vet to say first bunny reacted very badly to anthestic (spelling !) and they nearly lost him .He apparently screamed while under and breathing went very irractic. They stopped the procedure and decided not to attempt his brother. They said they have not seen a bunny like this for years.

Hoping he recovers ok, feeling very guilty as it was my choice to have him done not his:(

Has anyone had 2 brothers/males not done living together? Now I don't know what to do.

Should add very bunny savy vet with lots of experience.

Sorry to hear about your bunny. That must have been scary. If the two boys live together harmoniously then there is no need to neuter. Hope he recovers well.

Thank you x Really odd I have had many bunnys over the years done but was stressing about the boys going in today. Does spraying bother them, they do hump each other now but no fighting.

I had a similar scare with Esme, not quite as bad as you describe but she stopped breathing as soon as they put her under and so they reversed the anaesthetic straight away and though they had a battle to get her breathing again afterwards she was fine. Two months later I took her to Frances Harcourt-Brown who spayed her using a different anaeshetic and happily there were no problems at all.

As for two unneutered males living together - I personally wouldn't dare risk it.

Not sure I could risk it again:( If I lost him I would never forgive myself.

I cried when I left Esme and all morning I was wishing I hadn't done it. She's now 4.5 years so would have been at serious risk of uterine cancer. I'm not so sure I would have been as insistent for a male though. I think part of my decision was first time round the vet was a good but not exceptionally rabbit savvy vet.. the second vet was extremely confident that it would be alright.

Hi 2 of my bunnys (7months ) went to be neutered today, had a call from vet to say first bunny reacted very badly to anthestic (spelling !) and they nearly lost him .He apparently screamed while under and breathing went very irractic. They stopped the procedure and decided not to attempt his brother. They said they have not seen a bunny like this for years.

Hoping he recovers ok, feeling very guilty as it was my choice to have him done not his:(

Has anyone had 2 brothers/males not done living together? Now I don't know what to do.

Should add very bunny savy vet with lots of experience.

Unfortunately, if they can't be neutered, you may find you will need to seperate them if they scrap. Males who's hormones come on strong could cause fights and they *could* in worse case scenarios kill each other, but in other situations, seriously injure. The first place a male will try to bite is often the genital area. Please be aware of this.

I'm really sorry you had to go through this :( It has been known for bunnies with heart and respiratory issues that hadnt shown before to display in this way.

Sorry to hear about your bunny. That must have been scary. If the two boys live together harmoniously then there is no need to neuter. Hope he recovers well.

I'm afraid thats not necessarily quite true. Un-neutered males can very suddenly fight and cause massive amounts of damage to one another. There are also the other health and behavioural benefits to neutered, not just the ability to live together.

If they are spraying and humping then that's not such a good sign. Sometimes 2 boys will live together peacefully, it is the exception rather than the rule, but as you mention spraying etc these are hormonal actions, which can lead to fighting.

Well my boy is home, safe, and although a bit grumpy eating,pooing and drinking.

So my options after speaking to vet:

1) leave them together and monitor behaviour ( obviously I can't do this 24/7)
2) try his brother using gas/mask method to put him under ( not sure about this, apparently does not smell to rabbit)
3) split up and they will have to live on their own:(

they explained how they used 2 different air tubes and tried him in different positions so I will not put him through another anethestic. They really thought he was going:(

Yikes!!!! Chris is to be neutered tomorrow!!!!

:shock:Oh NO!!! My bunny has a, neuter appointment tomorrow!!!:(

Glad your bun is ok etc. Following on from yeserday I remembered I had 2 brothers which lived happily together for 18 months but no humping in the hutch. When they were in the garden they would chase one another and have a great time. I decided to have them neutered, split them up and paired them off with girls. I don.t know why I did split them up probably would keep them together if the same happened now. Boys normally fight by 14 weeks so you could be lucky but that's up to you.

Back