• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit attacked by fox

Hi Friday night my beautiful boy bunny was attacked by foxes, we managed to scare them off at 4.30 in the morning because I heard the foxes making them strange noises, he has a hole in his ear and a ban cut on his leg, I took him vets Saturday and they said just salt water for the ear, charged me £80 and they didn’t notice the leg, even though I pointed out he was limping! 2 days laster after the weekend I rang, which is Monday today! I went crazy at the vets and they told me I could bring him back down for a reduced fee of £45! I’m cleaning with salt water and he seems so much happier today, there is no discharge coming for the cuts! Does anyone have experience, does he need more than just salt water?
I can’t even believe he’s still with us! I’m so grateful and any help would be massively appreciated
Many thanks

Is he still limping or otherwise not using the leg properly? If so, I would take him back to the vet for a proper examination.
Is he eating and toileting normally? Rabbits easily go into gut stasis which needs urgent attention (and a vet visit).
You did amazingly well to save him if a fox actually got him. I would look at his accommodation and make it fox proof so it can't happen again. Foxes are persistent - if they know there is prey, they will come back and try again.

A bite wound from a Fox merits antibiotic cover. There is a huge amount of bacteria on the teeth of a Fox. A bite will effectively inject bacteria into the Rabbit. Abscess formation and/or serious systemic infection are very likely to occur. Including septicaemia.

The fact that he’s limping could indicate the possibility of more serious damage than what can be seen with the naked eye. Possibly a fracture.

I would not be at all happy with the ‘care’ given by the Vet and would immediately be consulting another one for proper assessment and treatment.

The lack of pain relief prescribed is unacceptable too

Sending lots of vibes for your boy. I have previously rescued one of my chickens from a fox. She was taken to the vet and was sutured and given abx. She made a full recovery.

I would agree that your bunny needs to return for a further vet examination to both exclude further injury and also to provide abx cover and pain medication.

A bite wound from a Fox merits antibiotic cover. There is a huge amount of bacteria on the teeth of a Fox. A bite will effectively inject bacteria into the Rabbit. Abscess formation and/or serious systemic infection are very likely to occur. Including septicaemia.

The fact that he’s limping could indicate the possibility of more serious damage than what can be seen with the naked eye. Possibly a fracture.

I would not be at all happy with the ‘care’ given by the Vet and would immediately be consulting another one for proper assessment and treatment.

The lack of pain relief prescribed is unacceptable too
Thankyou, I completely agree! I think I’m going to find another vets today!

Sending lots of vibes for your boy. I have previously rescued one of my chickens from a fox. She was taken to the vet and was sutured and given abx. She made a full recovery.

I would agree that your bunny needs to return for a further vet examination to both exclude further injury and also to provide abx cover and pain medication.
Thankyou, I agree completely

Is he still limping or otherwise not using the leg properly? If so, I would take him back to the vet for a proper examination.
Is he eating and toileting normally? Rabbits easily go into gut stasis which needs urgent attention (and a vet visit).
You did amazingly well to save him if a fox actually got him. I would look at his accommodation and make it fox proof so it can't happen again. Foxes are persistent - if they know there is prey, they will come back and try again.
He is still limping, we are on day 3 now, the limp isn’t as bad as it was! He is now eating and drinking, wasn’t on day one, but I think that is possible shock! Honestly I can’t believe he’s still with us, he was loose out of the cage with the fox chasing him, his fur was all over my garden! I need to find a way of making him secure outside, any tips would be welcome, he’s inside until I can find a way of keeping him secure!

He is still limping, we are on day 3 now, the limp isn’t as bad as it was! He is now eating and drinking, wasn’t on day one, but I think that is possible shock! Honestly I can’t believe he’s still with us, he was loose out of the cage with the fox chasing him, his fur was all over my garden! I need to find a way of making him secure outside, any tips would be welcome, he’s inside until I can find a way of keeping him secure!
I use use fox proof wire from amazon or eBay & zip tie it over the weaker wire on most rabbit runs. I also place barbed wire on the top & around the front/sides over night. No problems so far with rabbits getting out or foxes getting in, approaching 2 years now & we get foxes in our garden most nights.

Personally, I would look at keeping him indoors at least until spring. Then you can use the longer days & better weather to look at securing his area & move him back out in warmer weather. He's on his own, injured and vulnerable to fox attacks - not a good combination for survival. Rabbits are a prey species and will hide any health issues - so if they are displaying anything out of the ordinary, you can be certain that it's a bigger issue. Stress and shock are also killers - so even having a fox in the garden may trigger a shock response.

Wendy houses or sheds make good outdoor accommodation for rabbits. They are more secure and can be padlocked. Add an aviary with weldmesh panels and roof, and you have a really nice area for bunny and you. Second hand ones can be painted up and adapted to suit - mesh on the windows, a secondary mesh door so you can leave the main door open during the day, lino on the floor for easy cleaning, litter trays of hay, maybe some shelving to jump on, or a hutch with the doors removed for a bed area. Anti-dig measures will stop foxes diggin in or bunny digging out - so lay mesh under grass, or put slabs down (look out for second hand ones locally).

A companion would also improve his quality of life. Maybe a neutered girl from a rescue?

I had a bunny lose her ear to a fox but she was secure in her cage. They became indoor rabbits after that. Once a fox knows there is a rabbit in the garden they will keep coming back and will try to break in to the hutch. The only option is to bring your rabbit inside if possible.

I use use fox proof wire from amazon or eBay & zip tie it over the weaker wire on most rabbit runs. I also place barbed wire on the top & around the front/sides over night. No problems so far with rabbits getting out or foxes getting in, approaching 2 years now & we get foxes in our garden most nights.
Amazing Thankyou, we have had him for 3 years now! Haven’t had a problem until now! I’m going to get my husband to build something I think and get some extra wire! Thanks for your help

I had a bunny lose her ear to a fox but she was secure in her cage. They became indoor rabbits after that. Once a fox knows there is a rabbit in the garden they will keep coming back and will try to break in to the hutch. The only option is to bring your rabbit inside if possible.
This is a very scary thought to be putting him outside again, I have a dog too who just barks at the rabbit since he’s been in the kitchen! I’m going to have to give this one a lot of thought

Personally, I would look at keeping him indoors at least until spring. Then you can use the longer days & better weather to look at securing his area & move him back out in warmer weather. He's on his own, injured and vulnerable to fox attacks - not a good combination for survival. Rabbits are a prey species and will hide any health issues - so if they are displaying anything out of the ordinary, you can be certain that it's a bigger issue. Stress and shock are also killers - so even having a fox in the garden may trigger a shock response.

Wendy houses or sheds make good outdoor accommodation for rabbits. They are more secure and can be padlocked. Add an aviary with weldmesh panels and roof, and you have a really nice area for bunny and you. Second hand ones can be painted up and adapted to suit - mesh on the windows, a secondary mesh door so you can leave the main door open during the day, lino on the floor for easy cleaning, litter trays of hay, maybe some shelving to jump on, or a hutch with the doors removed for a bed area. Anti-dig measures will stop foxes diggin in or bunny digging out - so lay mesh under grass, or put slabs down (look out for second hand ones locally).

A companion would also improve his quality of life. Maybe a neutered girl from a rescue?
Thankyou so much for your response, he’s defo staying indoors until he makes a full recovery! I will have a little look at what you have informed me of and see if I can find anything! I did read that rabbits hide their injuries, so for him to be limping he’s defo more hurt than not! I’m going to do a second trip to a vets and look to get him more secure! Thankyou

This is so sad

That's so lucky you were able to catch it happening in time! I hope he makes a full recovery.

It's such a traumatic thing to happen, and then have to go to the vets and be brought indoors where he's not used to living, etc. So I'd keep a close eye on his eating and poop to ensure he doesn't go into gut stasis due to stress/not eating enough.

Sadly a lot of vets don't know much about rabbits so it sounds like you'll need to find a rabbit savvy vet. If you're in the UK there are lists available for good rabbit vets.

Thankyou for your reply, he’s eating and drinking well now and seems really happy despite the attack! He’s staying in until he makes a full recovery, we have now decided to put his cage inside of a locked shed! This won’t be until he is fully ready and obviously he will be eased into it! I completely agree that this vets don’t know enough about rabbits and should of warned me that hair fulls out in the area they have a cut on, advise that it can take a day or so, so I should watch out for this! Oreo is doing so well and I’m so glad we caught it in time

It is nice to hear he is eating and drinking and happy inside. I hope you can find a goid vet to check his leg.
Sending you both more healing vibes.

Back