• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I'm not foraging at the moment. Rabbits are having shop bought herbs and Kale from the garden. There are small plants growing in the garden, mostly Cow Parsley, Dandelions and Red Deadnettle, plus Brambles. They've had the occasional treat of some of these, but certainly not daily. Apple and Pear trees will get pruned soon, so they will enjoy the prunings.

Yup. Loads of cow parsley and chickweed still. Also dead nettle, bramble and mallow.
Dandelions coming up too ...

My buns are having forage every evening as per normal ..

I've just been outside to have a good 'recky' in the garden and we have certainly not got enough for daily feeding. Is this in your garden or somewhere close to you? I did find lots of Chickweed and Cleavers though, but the plants are small.

I've just been outside to have a good 'recky' in the garden and we have certainly not got enough for daily feeding. Is this in your garden or somewhere close to you? I did find lots of Chickweed and Cleavers though, but the plants are small.

I have in the garden geraniums, rose leaves, buddleia, plantain, green veggies, and a few other bits and pieces, but the bags full I get locally. Also lots of borage to be found .. and cleavers as you say :)

:lol::lol:

March 2018......

GSwOLF4.jpg

N6WvACv.jpg

7uzgsnN.jpg

Mike your garden looks amazing :love:

It seems to go on for ever and ever? :)

Mike your garden looks amazing :love:

It seems to go on for ever and ever? :)

:) the pic makes it look a lot longer than it actually is. it keeps the bunnies happy tho, i love they way they go to certain areas on certain days or time of day.

I got this growing where the old chicken coop used to be. I wouldn't feed anything where the coop used to be though
6a46f6e043588edc6f2e0b9ab99397d7.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I got this growing where the old chicken coop used to be. I wouldn't feed anything where the coop used to be though
6a46f6e043588edc6f2e0b9ab99397d7.jpg

is that hogweed? Joey says if you on't want it, send it here, chickeny or no. Other photo looks like sow thistle to me - hoping so. Omi?

is that hogweed? Joey says if you on't want it, send it here, chickeny or no. Other photo looks like sow thistle to me - hoping so. Omi?
It looks like hogweed and its massive.

If the other is sow thistle is it nommy abd what parts do I feed? Is it suitable for drying and storing?

If the other is sow thistle is it nommy abd what parts do I feed? Is it suitable for drying and storing?

feed all of it but its too "milky" for drying IME. Wait for ogafal confirmation though

feed all of it but its too "milky" for drying IME. Wait for ogafal confirmation though
Omi might be busy as she's going for that psychic reading today.

I won't bother introducing it if I can only feed fresh

Yep, I think 1st pic Perennial Sowthistle, 2nd pic Common Hogweed.

I'd feed both. I would not feed anything that had had a fresh chicken dropping on it, but I would have no problem feeding anything where chicken droppings had composted.

What do you think our compost is made of ? ;)

Go on, give them both a treat :love:

Because onces I have got through all the leafs there won't be any more for ages and I don't like to keep changing there food. I thought you can't change bunnies and new things should be introduced gradually. By the time I've introduced it it will all be gone?

All of it :) Both that and Hogweed are very popular here.

No idea about drying, but it is very milky inside, so perhaps not.

If you adopt the mindset we are aiming for natural diet like wildies have, they will have season fluctuations. Joey says the universe made it that way.. boo. Bus arrived. Bye

Because onces I have got through all the leafs there won't be any more for ages and I don't like to keep changing there food. I thought you can't change bunnies and new things should be introduced gradually. By the time I've introduced it it will all be gone?

Well actually, if you're sparing in the amount of leaves you remove, you won't kill the plant. It will go on producing leaves.

I think the problem is just with introducing new foods. There's not a problem as far as I know in feeding something and then not feeding it for a while. I do that all the time as plants grow in different seasons.

Back