• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding plants in spring

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I have another question. I don't know if anyone remembers, but last spring Sophie and Casper got pretty ill because the dandelions we picked for them really upset their tummies because they were so rich in protein (edit: it wasn't protein, it was sugar!). I'm now a little afraid to give them any plants this spring aside from their supermarket greens. I know the protein thing happens with grass, too, in spring, but I was wondering if it happens to all plants? I have plants on my balcony for them, and they haven't had any of them all winter because there wasn't much growing, but now the plants are starting to grow again, so I want to start adding them to their daily salads again, but I don't want Casper and Sophie to get sick. Would it be okay if I got them used to the plants slowly? Or would it be better to wait until later this spring? Or is it only certain plants that are a concern in spring? I'm not sure how worried I should be about this.

Last edited:
I just start to feed greens when the first leafs of grass or stuff like chickweeed can be found, with small amounts, and fade out veggies and hay (still offered but ignored) when enough forage is available, never a problem. I wouldn't think the protein was the culprit there, but too much of something really rich at once.

I don't know but I suspect all younger plants would be higher in protein than more mature plants; some plants richer & less fibrous than others. Maybe give them a few more weeks then slowly reintroduce as Preitier suggested. I'm not that careful but nature does help ease my bunnies in to their fresh forage diet as I can't get much very early Spring.

Now I'm wondering whether the early Spring forage I dry will remain higher in protein once dried - I assume so

I just start to feed greens when the first leafs of grass or stuff like chickweeed can be found, with small amounts, and fade out veggies and hay (still offered but ignored) when enough forage is available, never a problem. I wouldn't think the protein was the culprit there, but too much of something really rich at once.
Oh, gosh, you're right, it wasn't protein! I just read back my notes and it says that the vet had said the problem was too much sugar in the dandelions and grass at that time, because of spring, and that a lot of bunnies and horses were getting sick from it. Thank you for explaining how you do it. Starting with small amounts sounds wise.

I don't know but I suspect all younger plants would be higher in protein than more mature plants; some plants richer & less fibrous than others. Maybe give them a few more weeks then slowly reintroduce as Preitier suggested. I'm not that careful but nature does help ease my bunnies in to their fresh forage diet as I can't get much very early Spring.

Now I'm wondering whether the early Spring forage I dry will remain higher in protein once dried - I assume so
Ah, well, since it wasn't the protein after all, I'm not sure! But it would make sense if younger plants are richer, I think. I think I'll do that, yeah, give it some more time and then reintroduce everything slowly. That makes sense that your bunnies are naturally eased into it as there's just not much you can get in very early spring.

Yea it's sugar, Atticus always got so ill eating new spring grass growth and plants [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yea it's sugar, Atticus always got so ill eating new spring grass growth and plants [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Aw, poor Atticus. Do you just not give him any grass or plants in spring now? Or does he not get that anyway, since he lives inside right now?

I haven’t got bunnies any more but when I had, each time it was a new season, even if they had had the food before, I would reintroduce it very slowly. That seemed to prevent any issues

I haven’t got bunnies any more but when I had, each time it was a new season, even if they had had the food before, I would reintroduce it very slowly. That seemed to prevent any issues
That's a really good idea, and I'm glad you never had issues that way. I normally reintroduce everything when they haven't had something in a while, so I don't know what went wrong last year, if I maybe went too fast or... I'm definitely going to be more careful this spring.

Back