• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fast-growing bunny plants - new question

forgot to mention I tried the bunnies on buddleia. Boo still says no but Eddy quite liked it

I'll let you know when I've got the seeds, shouldn't take long

shouldn't take long:oops: sorry, time flies. Can I have your address please? PM me on here or send a message through my Etsy shop - whatever suits
Also to say the little willowherb seeds (looks like a bit of fluff) look very unimpressive -but I expect you'd just have to release it on to your balcony & it'll take:lol:

[/B]
shouldn't take long:oops: sorry, time flies. Can I have your address please? PM me on here or send a message through my Etsy shop - whatever suits
Also to say the little willowherb seeds (looks like a bit of fluff) look very unimpressive -but I expect you'd just have to release it on to your balcony & it'll take:lol:
Aw, that's really okay! I just really appreciate that you're willing to send me some seeds! :D I will PM you. And, okay, I'll just release the willowherb fluff on my balcony and wait until it starts growing everywhere. :lol:

I thought I'd post a photo update. This is ribwort plantain in the back, and herb robert (left) and meadowsweet (the tiny thing on the right) in front:

DBCURGCl.jpg

I really need to move the plantain into bigger pots, but I keep forgetting. :oops:

This is the rocket (left) and mizuna (right):

2SndkrXl.jpg

The other seeds haven't germinated (yet), so there's not much compared to what I sowed last month!

I thought I'd post a photo update. This is ribwort plantain in the back, and herb robert (left) and meadowsweet (the tiny thing on the right) in front:

DBCURGCl.jpg

I really need to move the plantain into bigger pots, but I keep forgetting. :oops:

This is the rocket (left) and mizuna (right):

2SndkrXl.jpg

The other seeds haven't germinated (yet), so there's not much compared to what I sowed last month!

aww, your plantain is looking good, and the rocket & lettuce? vibes for the slower to emerge seeds

aww, your plantain is looking good, and the rocket & lettuce? vibes for the slower to emerge seeds
Yeah, the plantain is doing well, and the rocket and mizuna, too. I'm not sure if mizuna is a lettuce? Some websites say it is, but others say it's a type of cabbage? The meadowsweet isn't really growing, which is odd... But maybe the other one will finally germinate and do better? Thanks for the vibes!

The plantain, meadowsweet, and herb robert are doing very well, but the mizuna and rocket are being visited by lots of little white flies. :( I looked on Google, but apparently there are several little white fly types that like cabbage plants? So, I'm not sure what they are. I didn't think I'd have to deal with this indoors, but I noticed the little flies come in on some fresh kale I got recently, so I guess they made themselves right at home! :(

The plantain, meadowsweet, and herb robert are doing very well, but the mizuna and rocket are being visited by lots of little white flies. :( I looked on Google, but apparently there are several little white fly types that like cabbage plants? So, I'm not sure what they are. I didn't think I'd have to deal with this indoors, but I noticed the little flies come in on some fresh kale I got recently, so I guess they made themselves right at home! :(

aww that is disappointing the white flies have made themselves at home - I think outside is prob safe from flies by now as its so cold, not got any advice recently.Great your meadowsweet , plantain & herb robert are thriving :love:

Ah, maybe I should move them outside, then... Google says rocket and mizuna can be grown all year, so it won't be too cold for them... Hopefully they're big enough now that the snails won't eat them. But, yeah, at least the others are doing well! :love:

Edit: Oh, forgot to say, I gave them some mizuna the other day to see if they like it, and Casper does, but Sophie doesn't, so it'll all be for Casper. :lol:

I still have a lot of seeds left, but some of them didn't come with instructions of when to sow them... That didn't matter when I had them under my grow lights, but I want to sow them outside this spring, but I don't know when? I have herb robert, dandelions, fenegreek, and meadowsweet. Does anyone know? I was thinking that in the wild these seeds have been in the ground since last year, so could I just sow them now and they'll know when they can start growing, or is that very naive?

Interesting question...I'd like to know the answer. In Nature herb robert & meadowsweet would be sown late summer, as thats when they go to seed. I tried Googling ..not sure it was helpful but to avoid spindly plants then wait for late Spring for better light levels. Google said for Wildflower seeds, not the same I know, sewing in autumn is best. You'd think if you sowed in say May they would germinate whenever nature saw fit.

If you don't get any good answers I'd go for half May, half Oct

Herb Robert has just started to grow here, but it's still quite early in the season.

For my allotment, I don't usually plant any seeds outside before April as it's still too cold and the ground is often waterlogged or frozen (Yorkshire area, so North of England). Seeds planted indoors or under cover would be OK now if they got enough light once they germinate.

I don't know if that helps, but there's no harm in waiting a few more weeks until the weather is warm and there's more daylight. What are effectively weeds should grow better by then. It's when I would expect to be regularly weeding the allotment, which would include self-sown Herb Robert and dandelions. Unless you pull up the whole plant, dandelion roots will survive through Winter and be there to sprout as soon as conditions are favourable in Spring.

Ooh, thank you both, j&b and Shimmer! That's very helpful. That makes sense to wait until the time when they're starting to grow in the wild or are naturally sown there. Sounds like I should be a bit more patient and wait until later this Spring, then. That'll give me some time to clear some space for them on my balcony, too.

Back