• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Ive been foraging like mad. I was like a kid in a sweet shop, my husbands description lol... he had to tell me to slow down. Ive found my very first blackthorn tree today. i will try to get a pic tomorrow to be sure but the flowers look the same and i remember someone on the threat (might be omi) i could spot blackthorn because the flowers appear before the leaves. Ive picked today, ground elder, dandelions, hawthorn, red dead nettle, geraniums,sticky willy, cow parsley, hogweed, brambles and a think with tiny white flowers which i cant remember the name, but i know is safe. oh and 2 types of baby willowherb too. very exciting times lol..

You've done well :D

I haven't seen any Geraniums around here yet. There is just so much available though that wasn't there just a month ago :D

wow, W&S, that is a massive haul. Are the babies having some?

It is really exciting seeing whats coming up. I do miss the variety of my old foraging haunt but it will get better. We have a good supply of hogweed down by the beck & there is geranium there too. There are about 8 blackthorn trees flowering in the same spot, I'll have to get photos too

Had cause to go up to Uni Park pharmacy today, which is past the wild area behind Physics. Came back and weeded the border outside the doctors' for stickyweed, picked up some pinecones from the copse on top of the hill (awesome bunny toys!), then collected some hairy and normal long-leaf plantain, dandelions and cowparsley from the top of the slope and was picking a little hogweed from just behind the bikesheds whe someone stopped and asked if they were herbs or edible or what: I said I didn't know, I was picking it for rabbits! But if he fancied or knew that you could eat hogweed or stickyweed (there's TONS of that everywhere, especially in the grass on campus: what's happened this year to make it explode?!), there was plenty here! I also pointed out the nettles ;P

Had cause to go up to Uni Park pharmacy today, which is past the wild area behind Physics. Came back and weeded the border outside the doctors' for stickyweed, picked up some pinecones from the copse on top of the hill (awesome bunny toys!), then collected some hairy and normal long-leaf plantain, dandelions and cowparsley from the top of the slope and was picking a little hogweed from just behind the bikesheds whe someone stopped and asked if they were herbs or edible or what: I said I didn't know, I was picking it for rabbits! But if he fancied or knew that you could eat hogweed or stickyweed (there's TONS of that everywhere, especially in the grass on campus: what's happened this year to make it explode?!), there was plenty here! I also pointed out the nettles ;P

I gave nettle tea to some of my green plants and ...... whoosh!! I noticed a difference within days.

'Fraid the buns won't be getting any more nettles for the moment :lol:

I need to go forage. Haven't been for a week. :oops:

I "foraged" at the market today and got loooooads of free parsley for the zoo though. And a reminder to come grab free 'waste' all the time. :lol:

-I also got a couple of ok cauliflowers, a potato (not for the buns-didn't know I had it til I got home!), a honeydew melon, some cooking apples (the latter 2, clearly only a tiny bit for the animals), some cauliflower/cabbage leaves... it may not be forage but the price was nice! (In my defence, I DO pay for fruit/veg from the market stall too! They just let me grab extra for the animals! Usually mostly cauli/cabbage leaves- none of my buns have tendencies to bloat thank goodness- quite often carrot tops, beetroot leaves too. Sometimes like today a nice surprise like the parsley. Once it was a pile of kale! It's really kind of them to do that - and I'm sure I'm not the only pet owner to get freebies for said pets from them now.

But ahem yes. Proper forage. One park has an abundance of sticky weed and cow parsley. Also a nice patch of garlic mustard and lamium galeobdolon. The other park has a bit more variety but not the massive abundances of a couple of things. Except I've noticed the hogweed coming through, which is good. That always goes down a treat. There's a decent variety along all my walks, when put together really. It's good.

I need to go forage. Haven't been for a week. :oops:

I "foraged" at the market today and got loooooads of free parsley for the zoo though. And a reminder to come grab free 'waste' all the time. :lol:

-I also got a couple of ok cauliflowers, a potato (not for the buns-didn't know I had it til I got home!), a honeydew melon, some cooking apples (the latter 2, clearly only a tiny bit for the animals), some cauliflower/cabbage leaves... it may not be forage but the price was nice! (In my defence, I DO pay for fruit/veg from the market stall too! They just let me grab extra for the animals! Usually mostly cauli/cabbage leaves- none of my buns have tendencies to bloat thank goodness- quite often carrot tops, beetroot leaves too. Sometimes like today a nice surprise like the parsley. Once it was a pile of kale! It's really kind of them to do that - and I'm sure I'm not the only pet owner to get freebies for said pets from them now.

But ahem yes. Proper forage. One park has an abundance of sticky weed and cow parsley. Also a nice patch of garlic mustard and lamium galeobdolon. The other park has a bit more variety but not the massive abundances of a couple of things. Except I've noticed the hogweed coming through, which is good. That always goes down a treat. There's a decent variety along all my walks, when put together really. It's good.

We have a local farm shop, where people can take cabbage and cauliflower leaves for pets :D

I've noticed loads of Hogweed around here this year :D I think it's a combination of the lovely Spring weather that we're having and also the fact that I can recognise it so much more easily now. Wood Avens (Herb Bennett) are also growing well now.

What did I discover watching Saturday Kitchen this morning? Cleavers/sticky weed/goose-grass is supposed to be tasty for humans too! Doubt I'll be trying it soon though as OH isn;t partial to greens... BUT he did eat a load of coriander last night! I got him to buy the 100g pack from Sainbury's and then split it in half: half for us, half for the buns over the next few days (I just plonked it in a cup of water). OH remarked I need to be more careful as some of the bunnies' food (i.e. some coriander) appeared to have fallen in the human food :lol: I also intend to forage some three-corned onion (for us!) from the massive patch by the railway bridge: it's like wild spring onion :D

Well, H was on strike this morning. He refused his pellets.

A quick forage later and a salad of dandelion, ribwort plantain and hawthorn was served :lol:

Well, H was on strike this morning. He refused his pellets.

A quick forage later and a salad of dandelion, ribwort plantain and hawthorn was served :lol:

I hope now that H has had his tasty amuse-bouche he will decide that he is able to eat his pellets :)

ten a day

Had a wonderful early morning forage. I explored loads of beck territory (hello duckies), saw just born lambs :love: & wildies. There is so much out there now, I confess to already over picking loads of plantain & dock for drying. I am now easily reaching my happy ten

bunnies as always express their happiness in whirlwind circling

IMG_5033_zpsv7ptsypn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5034_zpsbviasds2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

then demolishing the lot in less than five minutes

IMG_5036_zpsvefahx18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back