• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny is spinning around itself

No I mean does he have any symptoms? Because he might not have one :) I don't like cones for rabbits I think they're wrong tbh, but it doesn't mean he's necessarily got an ear infection [emoji38][emoji38]

Now he just shakes his ears once in a while. And he doesn't want me to touch his ears.
No other symptoms, ears now stand erect, do not whirl round, no head or ear tilt, no balance problems, good appetite and eating

I would just leave him to settle down for tonight. He will be more comfortable without the cone, but will need to readjust.
I hope he gets a thumbs up at tomorrow's checkup.

I'm sure it's the cone. They're not recommended for buns here. When Rodney was done he was put in a little baby suit of some kind because they find cones so distressing.

He probably just has an itch that he couldn't reach and it was slowly getting more and more uncomfortable until he just had to get it by any means possible.

Rodney's ear flopped down after an Iv with his last dental and he shook it a lot and shook his head like mad because he wasn't used to having his ear in that position. It took 3 weeks to go back to normal and then the extra head shakes etc all stopped.

I'd just ask the vets double check them tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I am glad his cone is now removed so he can scratch/clean his ears normally. Your vet should check the ears tomorrow.

I’m glad you have taken the cone off. I’m sure he will feel a lot better now. Rabbit savvy vets in the uk don’t recommend cones for rabbits.

I looked at all the videos and in my opinion it seems like the cone was really bothering his ears. I suspect that not beable to scratch or groom his ears has some to do with it but if the cone was forcing his ears in that unnatural bent position they probably are very sore and hurt from being bent like that. Most likely that is why he is shaking them and not letting you touch them. Hopefully now that his ears are free to go the right way they should start to feel better. It is of course a good idea to have the vet look in his ears but hopefully they will feel much better by the morning. Vets here in the states never use cones on rabbits. I have not had a boy rabbit neutered but Julie had inside dissolving stitches for her spay and never bothered them. The vet had told me to keep an eye on her stitches but that most rabbit won't be bothered by the inside stitches. I just had to make sure that she didn't jump or run around the first 2 days.
I am sending lots of ear feel better vibes for Cookie and calming stop worrying vibes for you.

Thank you all for your messages. Now it's 4:24am here and I checked Cookie again. His ears are now erect and look the same as before. He also lets me touch and caress his ears, so it doesn't hurt anymore. I'll observe again in the morning, check again if he is nodding.

We had to put a cone on him. Now there is a problem. Turkey pet care is not as common as in Europe, rabbit care almost none very very very rare. That's why there aren't many rabbit materials in Turkey. Be it clothes or many things are not here. For example turkey doesn't even have timothy hay, that's why I just feed Cookie with meadowgrass hay. I also buy most of Cookie's toys and belongings from abroad by paying a lot of money(because the Turkish lira is so worthless). If I had known about the dress after the operation, I would have ordered it from abroad 1 month ago.
Surgical stitch methods may also differ from Europe. There is really no rabbit vet in Turkey, there are only 3. And Turkey is a big country, I'm telling you to understand the gravity of the situation. The vet I'm taking right now is the only famous veterinarian on rodents in Turkey and may be the most expensive vet in Turkey. And also I don't think even this vet is as knowledgeable as most of the people on the forum, here you all have a better understanding of Cookie. Other veterinarians know how to examine rabbits, they know what medicine to give, but they are not knowledgeable about the right diet, detail diseases and conditions that require detail.

Last edited:
I suspect he just has a bit of a build up of wax because he has not been able to scratch his ears for several days. Now the cone is off and he can groom himself properly the irritation should quickly resolve. When he has a check up the Vet can look into his ears with an Otoscope to check for any infection, which I doubt will be found. If there is a significant amount of wax the Vet can use a bit of liquid ear cleaner to remove it.

The movements he displayed in the videos look far more like ‘ my ears itch and I can’t scratch them’ movements than neurological problems movements :)

I suspect he just has a bit of a build up of wax because he has not been able to scratch his ears for several days. Now the cone is off and he can groom himself properly the irritation should quickly resolve. When he has a check up the Vet can look into his ears with an Otoscope to check for any infection, which I doubt will be found. If there is a significant amount of wax the Vet can use a bit of liquid ear cleaner to remove it.

The movements he displayed in the videos look far more like ‘ my ears itch and I can’t scratch them’ movements than neurological problems movements :)

Oh thank Allah! Oh Jane, I want to hug you. I realized how precious you are. If I were a very very Multimillionaire rich, I would offer you a job caring for rabbits. :lol: :lol:

Yes, you are right when you say. Today his movements have improved, his ears are also erect and he does not shake his head. He's also happy and dancing binky. :D
Probably stayed with a cone on his head for a long time, his ears remained bent for a long time and accordingly he showed symptoms as if he was sick. I can't think rationally when it comes to Cookie, I'm a little too dependent on him. :roll:

Cookie had burrs in him eyes because he couldn't clean himself because of the hat. Now yesterday when he took off his hat he cleaned his eyes and burrs but now both eyes are very red. What should I do for this, should I take medicine from the vet, is this normal after deburring? I am attaching a picture.

https://imguh.com/image/2DgeB
https://imguh.com/image/2D64g

Last edited:
Looks like a bit of conjunctivitis. Firstly bathe his eyes with cool black tea, tea has mild antibacterial properties. Use a separate swab for each eye to avoid cross contamination. Then email the photos to your Vet. The Vet may want to prescribe some antibiotic eye drops for 7 days.

Looks like a bit of conjunctivitis. Firstly bathe his eyes with cool black tea, tea has mild antibacterial properties. Use a separate swab for each eye to avoid cross contamination. Then email the photos to your Vet. The Vet may want to prescribe some antibiotic eye drops for 7 days.

We'll go to the vet in 3 hours, thank you very much Jane:love:

Jane actually let me ask you something. Cookie couldn't clean himself for days, then when he cleaned his eyes, his eyes became inflamed. This germ must have gotten from his hand to his eyes. He also constantly cleans himself by licking, he swallows germs. Does he get sick if he swallows like that while cleaning himself?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your messages. Now it's 4:24am here and I checked Cookie again. His ears are now erect and look the same as before. He also lets me touch and caress his ears, so it doesn't hurt anymore. I'll observe again in the morning, check again if he is nodding.

We had to put a cone on him. Now there is a problem. Turkey pet care is not as common as in Europe, rabbit care almost none very very very rare. That's why there aren't many rabbit materials in Turkey. Be it clothes or many things are not here. For example turkey doesn't even have timothy hay, that's why I just feed Cookie with meadowgrass hay. I also buy most of Cookie's toys and belongings from abroad by paying a lot of money(because the Turkish lira is so worthless). If I had known about the dress after the operation, I would have ordered it from abroad 1 month ago.
Surgical stitch methods may also differ from Europe. There is really no rabbit vet in Turkey, there are only 3. And Turkey is a big country, I'm telling you to understand the gravity of the situation. The vet I'm taking right now is the only famous veterinarian on rodents in Turkey and may be the most expensive vet in Turkey. And also I don't think even this vet is as knowledgeable as most of the people on the forum, here you all have a better understanding of Cookie. Other veterinarians know how to examine rabbits, they know what medicine to give, but they are not knowledgeable about the right diet, detail diseases and conditions that require detail.

Cookie is very lucky, he has you, he has the best vet in Turkey and you care about him very much. You always do the best you can for him :love: Timothy hay is not essential for bunnies, meadow grass hay is just fine. I’m sure he will be fine. I’m very glad you joined the forum and that it’s helping you and Cookie so much :love:

Cookie is very lucky, he has you, he has the best vet in Turkey and you care about him very much. You always do the best you can for him :love: Timothy hay is not essential for bunnies, meadow grass hay is just fine. I’m sure he will be fine. I’m very glad you joined the forum and that it’s helping you and Cookie so much :love:

Thank you so much, you are very kind. :) My husband calls Cookie "the money eater" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turkey is really ignorant about rabbit care, I say this very clearly. Most people don't even take rabbits to the vet, they feed them instant food and unlimited fresh greens, and most rabbits do not live long-lived in Turkey. Also they always look after the rabbits in tiny cages, people are shocked when they learn that cookie is free roaming in the house and is toilet trained because nobody knows that rabbits are toilet trained, not even rabbit breeders. He was 1 month old when I got Cookie and I gave him toilet training, I learned everything about him diet by researching it, I had him check-up when he was 6 months old. I feel sorry for the situation of rabbits in Turkey. Most of the rabbits in Turkey live in tiny cages, without any freedom, without any training, in constant noise and anxiety, without even making a binky in their lives. :(

We'll go to the vet in 3 hours, thank you very much Jane:love:

Jane actually let me ask you something. Cookie couldn't clean himself for days, then when he cleaned his eyes, his eyes became inflamed. This germ must have gotten from his hand to his eyes. He also constantly cleans himself by licking, he swallows germs. Does he get sick if he swallows like that while cleaning himself?

No, grooming is a normal behaviour and a Rabbit will not get ill from germs due to normal grooming.

We just came from the vet. She said there is no neurological problem. She also said he had nothing in his ears and was attached to the cone. She said he didn't even have an infection and dirt in his ears.

She asked why he still had swelling in his testicles. According to me, he had surgery on Saturday and there is no excessive swelling, I think slight swelling is normal for 7-10 days. Do you think I think right? Laser was done to his testicles today for swelling and we will go again tomorrow we will do laser.

She said he's allergic to his eyes. But I don't agree with that, I think the vet says allergy because she doesn't understand what's going on. Because so far there has been no redness in the eye or any other part of Cookie. Also, Cookie hasn't been able to clean himself for days because of the cone. And he was dirty. Bow the first time he started cleaning himself, his eyes were red, I think he got a germ probably because his hands were dirty. Do you think allergy or microbe makes more sense?
Also the vet gave antibiotic eye drops and eye drops for redness. I am attaching pictures.
If his eyes are allergic, why did she give antibiotic drops? She should have just given drops for redness. Anyway I believe it is microbial so it was good that she gave antibiotic drops. I'm curious about your opinion, because I think that the people in the forum are more knowledgeable about rabbits than any and all veterinarians in Turkey.

https://imguh.com/image/2DWQB

They told us to use these drugs every 6 hours. 4 times a day, two drops in each eye.

Also, Cookie has lost 200 grams of weight, how can I make him gain weight fast again?

Last edited:
Back