• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny has swollen red and weeping eyes :'(

I probably said this before but if its money you are worried about ring the pdsa they will help you :) xxx

I am sorry but I am going to be blunt here, your Rabbit needs to be EXAMINED by a Vet TODAY

You said yesterday that your Rabbit's genitals were swollen. That, combined with how her eyes look, make me think it is more likely than not that she has Myxomatosis. If this is the case then saving her life is dependent on her receiving prompt antibiotic and anti-inflammatory treatment aswell as any topical eye treatment. Even then she would have a monumental fight on her paws.

I hope I am wrong, in which case you can have a go at me for being so forthright.

no i understand im going to get her to a vet very soon.

im going to call them now.

and get her soon to asap.

im really really worried :(

she is only 8months old :(

thank you all for your concern and help!

no i understand im going to get her to a vet very soon.

im going to call them now.

and get her soon to asap.

im really really worried :(

she is only 8months old :(

thank you all for your concern and help!

Most vets are open until 7pm (mine is) please take her get her examined it will put your mind at rest and the sooner she gets treatment the more likely she will pull through, shes such a pretty girl. xxx

You say it's unlikely that it's myxo because your other bun isn't showing signs... it can take a week for symptoms to show. The vet will have explained all this over the telephone and i'm pretty sure if they knew all the info (did you tell them about the swollen genital?) about the symptoms your bunny is showing then they wouldn't pass it off as conjunctivitis :? and vets do not like those sprays - they view them as ineffective in comparison to the Ivermectin spot-on that they recommend. So tbh i'm not sure what to make of this "phonecall" - either they are really idiotic or they dont give a damn, or you missed out some vital info.

Have to admit that I didn't know swollen genitals was a symptom until recently, when one of my rescue buns had a swollen willy. I phoned the vets and it was full blown panic stations. He didn't even have runny eyes or lumps and bumps, just the swollen bits. It was treated as an emergency. Luckily, it was not myxo but an infection that cleared up with AB's and metacam (pain relief).

PLEASE take her down today - the pain relief will make all the difference, and AB's need to be started sooner rather than later :( you've registered with them now so there is nothing stopping you.

your vets sounds awful. please find a rabbit savvy vet, it could make all the difference. and they should see her straight away if it's suspected myxi.

i really wouldn't go spraying her with mite sprays and treating her with eye drops.

i really hope you can see the vet asap (not the one who gave you that :censored: though)

vibes for your beautiful girl x

If she's only eight months old, how was she vaccinated before you got her over seven months ago? Are you SURE she was ever vaccinated?

Please take this poor bunny to the vets ...those eyes look very sore to me and I'd say theres a high chance its myxi.....its cruel not to take her in my opinion.

Im wondering whether shes afraid to seek vets advice because she is scared it is something awful, hope to god bun is going to be ok. xxx

Lets keep some important things in mind.

Most people with a sick rabbit would not even bother to look for advice.

The name of a good vet has been given after the first vet did not request to see this rabbit.

Advice to see a vet who can be bothered to look at a bun has been given.

Not everyone is an experienced rabbit owner; asking for advice is sensible. Not everyone has seen a sick rabbit or knows enough to know the perishers like to hide how ill they are from us.
No one wants to imagine their pet has picked this ghastly thing up and its not unknown for 80% of ordinary people to go into shock at nasty unexpected things happening. Roughly 10 % will cope and call the vet and the other 10% will go so to pieces they will need as much TLC and care to cope as the cause.

Those of us who have nursed buns with myxi would not wish it on a bun or on anyone elss to care for - hence the 'get thee to the vet ASAP'. Not everyone out there has access to a good and caring vet. Word of mouth on places like these can help OR put off those who are new to caring for rabbits.

A bun with some immunity has a chance but its a sorry long road for owner and bun. If that is a road Brutalbunny has to walk with her bun I would hope here would be a place able to offer encouragement and compassion and not condemnation for not being experienced enough as a rabbit owner to know how or when to put a metaphorical headlock on a vet to see a sick rabbit.

I live in Gillingham, Kent. What vets are you using??? What vets closed down here, as I wasnt aware of any.

If you want a decent vet and are willing to travel to Maidstone, then let me know as I can give you the info of a decent vet.

Please remember to keep your post polite and useful. It is not forum members job to berate other members.

I cant believe how rude some people can be. Yes its the first time ive had pet rabbits so NO im not experienced like some of you are. I came on here when i first got my rabbits to get more experience with help from others... isnt that what this forum is for after all???

I saw my lil Destiny had bad eyes yesterday so i thought i would seek some advice from people who may of known what it was.

My rabbits are looked after and i believe they are very spoilt infact they are my babies and always come first, so i dont need some one telling me im not looking after them properly let alone need taking away from me.

I AM GOING TO THE VETS AT 6:50... i called the emergency line. I couldnt wait for 2mo to wait for the registeration to go through. She is ill and i fear the worse thats why im scared of going to the vets, so i dont need some of you being very rude to me and telling me im a rubbish parent to my babies!!

I have been hugging her and comforting her for the past couple of hours... and believe me it has been the longest couple of hours ever waiting for 6:50. I have been none stop crying.

I was told when i brought her from a breeder she was vaccinated with all her jabs.

And i know its my fault for not keeping track of time and getting her jabs boosted for myxo... and now i am blaming myself for every thing!! So please dont be so rude to me and make me feel worse.... its only the past day she has gone the way she has... a non experienced rabbit owner wouldnt no what was exactly wrong with her thats why i seeked advice.... i dont think i want to do that on here any more with the way some people have acted.

Thank you to those who havent been rude and have gave me advice.

I will let you know what happens when i return from the vets....
i dont think its going to be good news. :cry::cry::cry:

Just wanted to wish you luck at the vet. I do hope things are not as bad as you think.

Please let us know how you get on.

i will let you know im keeping my fingers crossed and praying so much that its just an eye infection and nothing too serious :(

I do hope this new vet can help Destiny. Well done for getting her seen today, I know that was not easy for you to sort out for her.

Really hope it is not myxi. :|

Back