• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny has swollen red and weeping eyes :'(

ONly just caught up with this thread :(

Poor bunny..i so hope she got to the vets...:(

Please update us with news, we're all hoping the best for your bunny!

wondering were about in kent she is. we have a lot of marshes river dykes etc here, its a nightmare for mozzies sudden change in temp too, isnt helping on the flea front either

touch wood in my area OH hasnt seen any wildies with myxi so far this year

i took her to the vet but there was no luck as the vets was closed i rung the emergency vet and they said i had to register her with a new vets coz my last one has closed down. :( this is all i need.

I have rung the vets today and registered her with the new vets i explained over the phone the situation and over night the swelling in her eyes has gone down, and she hasnt got a temperature any more just sneezes. The vet told me to keep bathing her eyes and putting the drops in and spray her with mite spray. I have done this and she seems so much more lively and the eyes are slightly better. she is still eating loads and drinking and going toilet fine. I have to take her vets 2mo if there is no change the vet said.

But im going to take her any way.

i feel so bad leaving it this long.

But i didnt relise my vets has closed and i had to re register with a new one :(

thank you all for your concern.

ill upload some pics i took today, the water around the eyes is just where i have bathed them. The left eye is the more swollen this was the eye that got swollen first.

nd0yo5.jpg

2k54cy.jpg

Oh god the poor little soul, what did the vet say it was? she really needs pain relief oh goodness it looks awful. xxxxxx

she dont seem to be in any pain she is still bouncing around and jumping up on the sofa.

She is defiantly feeding well and im giving her enough veg to give her vitamins.

The vet said to bathe her eyes and keep giving her the eyedrops today and then see if there is any change 2mo. Im going to take her to vets though even if the swelling has gone down.

He said it sounds like an eye infection like conjunctivitis, or mite out of the hay.

:(

I doubt its caused by mites, to be honest id be careful putting anything on her that might cause her eyes to worsen, are you using ivermectin spot on for mites? xx

im sorry to say, but your vet doesn't sound very bunny savvy.

Your bunny is clearly unwell and if thats what her eyes are like, i would be very surprised if she wasn't in pain :(

From what i've seen/read, i agree about the possibilities of Myxi, where abouts do you live, maybe we could recommend a good vet for you?

I know she is doing okay but do take her to the vet as soon as you can. They do look very uncomfy. Good pain relief can make a big difference to a rabbits survival so do ask for it.

It does look like early myxi- I am hoping your vet is right but I lost two vaccinated buns to myxi whose eyes started like that and who did not go off their food for the first 48 hours for the one and nearly a week for the other.

If it were me chick and one of my buns had poorly eyes and the vet said it could be mites id be hot footing it out of there and finding another vet asap, that poor buns eyes are way too bad to be left, i wouldnt give her anything for mites until she is better she obviously has a very low immune system at the moment and adding mite stuff isnt going to help, she needs pain relief, buns hide pain well until its too late.

please book in to see a vet today a decent one, the sooner she starts treatment the sooner she can get well again. xxxx

I live in Gillingham in kent.

im defo taking her to the vets even if the swelling has gone down coz i just want her to get some antibiotics to help her. Plus Autumn is missing her he seems so lonely atm.

Luckily he has no sign of the illness himself. ive checked him thoroughly and hes in good health. If it was myxi surely he would of gone down with it aswel? being in same cage? (they arnt any more, ive completely seperated them)

ive been using the Johnsons pump mite spray.

Please take her to see a vet today. Looks very much like myxomatosis to me. How long has her nose also been swollen for? At the very least she needs pain meds.

Please take her to the vets today - I really can't see how a vet who has never seen your bunny can give a diagnosis over the phone :?

Her eyes will be very sore regardless of how she might seem to be behaving :(

im defo taking her to the vets even if the swelling has gone down coz i just want her to get some antibiotics to help her. Plus Autumn is missing her he seems so lonely atm.

Luckily he has no sign of the illness himself. ive checked him thoroughly and hes in good health. If it was myxi surely he would of gone down with it aswel? being in same cage? (they arnt any more, ive completely seperated them)

Dont use anything spray wise while her eyes are so sore it could make her worse, the beaphar spot on is good you only need one dose. xx

Hey, i lived there up until september last year :)

Really good vet, revenge road in lordswood, nearr Walderslade - The Oaks i think it's called, was recommended it the other day and noted down information about it.

http://www.warrenhouseveterinarygroup.co.uk/Oaks.htm

Hope that can be of some assistance to you.:wave:

If your bun is treated correctly & early on, & was vaccinated within 12 months, they may well fight off myxi - I lost 2 last year, but one soldiered on & is fine now:D

Incubation period for myxi is 14 days, so your other buns may have it & not yet show signs.

I would def get bun on a course of painkillers & antibiotics no matter WHAT it is

Hey. I'm sorry you're having such trouble with the vets. I would forget the ones you're with - they really don't sound like they know what they're talking about. Please do give the vets Graham recommends a ring, and take her in today. It looks and sounds very much like myxi. I'm so sorry but the later you leave it, the less likely it is that she will pull through.

Loads and heaps of good luck vibes.

Back