• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly is really poorly - better now

Oh poor Molly really hope she can go on to make a full recovery now bless her. Sending tons of recovery vibes!

Millions of vibes for Molly, I hope she recovers quickly and can be back at home soon.

Sometimes you just can't predict the best things to do for bunnies and this is just one of these cases. you have always had her hest interests at heart and that's what matters at the end of the day.

I'm just so relieved Molly survived the anaesthetic. I don't think she has ever had one before as she isn't a dental bun and, apart from the myxi, and a bout of conjuctivitis, has always been very healthy.

Not knowing a bun's age is one of the downsides of rehoming adult rescue buns. My vet asked me three times how old Molly was and I just didn't know. She is my second eldest bun. Dylan is the oldest and he must be a Very Old Bun now.

While I was at work this morning one of my clients asked why I didn't have 'it' put to sleep. I replied politely - but it was shortly after that I gave up and came home! Molly isn't exactly a non gender specific name.

Thank you all sooooo much for your vibes. Bluesmum has been brilliant too and I've spoken to her over the 'phone.

Poor Molly :cry:

Do you know if she is now on abx ? As she had a steroid injection yesterday (which is very likely to suppress her immune system) and has subsequently been found to have a closed pyometra abx are essential IM (unqualified) O

I do hope that Molly makes a full recovery xx

I've spoken to the vet now. Molly has come around from the anaesthetic. She had pyometra and something else beginning with h that I can't remember. She is still being given fluids and, yes, she is having baytril.

We discussed staying in versus coming home and he left it up to me but agreed that she would be less stressed at home so I am picking her up later. I am to continue with syringe feeding, alternating between two different types of food. I will have oral antibiotics to give her. I asked about metacam but he said the injection this morning will last her until tomorrow morning at least and if I thinks she needs it after that I can pop in and he will dispense some without needing to see her (unless I want him to).

Does this all sound OK? I thought he was a good bunny vet but am concerned that he was intending to let me take her home this morning with critical care and instructions to continue syringe feeding. It was only Jane's comments about a possible obstruction that made me question him. Poor Molly would have been stuffed with more food that wouldn't go anywhere.

I just hope I have made the right decision to have her home. I will decide when I see how she is whether I put her daughter in with her or not.

Thank you all for your vibes. I just want to go and get her now but am going to wait until as late as possible so she can have continued fluids and is as stable as she can be before I bring her home.

I am running a training course tomorrow morning for a couple of hours so hope she will be OK to be left by then. If not, I am sure the friend who has lent me some money, will come and sit with her for me.

I think she will be calmer at home. At the vets she was more relaxed when I was holding her and talking to her.

I've spoken to the vet now. Molly has come around from the anaesthetic. She had pyometra and something else beginning with h that I can't remember. She is still being given fluids and, yes, she is having baytril.

We discussed staying in versus coming home and he left it up to me but agreed that she would be less stressed at home so I am picking her up later. I am to continue with syringe feeding, alternating between two different types of food. I will have oral antibiotics to give her. I asked about metacam but he said the injection this morning will last her until tomorrow morning at least and if I thinks she needs it after that I can pop in and he will dispense some without needing to see her (unless I want him to).

Does this all sound OK? I thought he was a good bunny vet but am concerned that he was intending to let me take her home this morning with critical care and instructions to continue syringe feeding. It was only Jane's comments about a possible obstruction that made me question him. Poor Molly would have been stuffed with more food that wouldn't go anywhere.

I just hope I have made the right decision to have her home. I will decide when I see how she is whether I put her daughter in with her or not.

Thank you all for your vibes. I just want to go and get her now but am going to wait until as late as possible so she can have continued fluids and is as stable as she can be before I bring her home.

I am running a training course tomorrow morning for a couple of hours so hope she will be OK to be left by then. If not, I am sure the friend who has lent me some money, will come and sit with her for me.

I think she will be calmer at home. At the vets she was more relaxed when I was holding her and talking to her.

The only thing i will say, is that the 24hr pain releif, wont last 24 hours. It'll last ~12 at best from what i've read/heard. It's labelled to last that long, but never does. Do you have additional pain relief at home?

I pray she gets better at home with you Rhianna, seriously.

I don't have any pain relief at home so I think I will ask the vet for metacam again. I did over the 'phone and he said it wasn't necessary but Molly is my bunny and I can't get in to the surgery until the afternoon anyway. I will have to put my assertive head on:evil:

So sorry to read Molly is so poorly but for what it's worth, I think you've absolutely done the right thing by bringing her home. She'll feel better in familiar surroundings with her pals.

All fingers and paws crossed for her here xxx

I don't have any pain relief at home so I think I will ask the vet for metacam again. I did over the 'phone and he said it wasn't necessary but Molly is my bunny and I can't get in to the surgery until the afternoon anyway. I will have to put my assertive head on:evil:

She had a STEROID yesterday so extreme caution is needed re Metacam, especially if that is what she has had today. Personally I'd not want to give more NSAIDs but an opiate such as Vetergesic instead.

My Molly bun is home:D

Had a chat with the vet. Her temperature is up and she has produced a few, very tiny poos:) She had a huge cyst on her ovary and everything inside was wet and red. Lots of pus too. She has had a lot of fluids.

I've been given baytril and some critical care powder he wants me to alternate with the recovery food. I asked for metacam and he dispensed some but said she shouldn't need it until tomorrow evening. I've borrowed a heat pad too.

The bill was £453:shock:

The vet advised keeping her in for a week. He doesn't need to see her again unless I am concerned. She was much more lively when I saw her. I have popped her in her pen and put some grass and a couple of dandelion leaves in with her. She nommed them straight away.

Does anyone know if I still need to syringe feed Molly if she is eating normally? It really stresses her out.

Jane, the vet gave Molly some metacam this morning before he admitted her. I won't give her any tomorrow unless I think she really needs it and will check with the vet first. Thank you for mentioning the caution needed after she has had a steroid. I had no idea.

Am off to give my other buns their supper and then will curl up in the lounge with Molly. Stuff the housework:)

I am trying not to be too excited but she does look soooooo much better - and the vet was pleased with her too and happy to let her home. She has been such a brave bun. She must have been in pain last night and I was continually shoving a syringe in her mouth and she never tried to bite once.

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to know there are people who understand.

Just caught up with this thread. Poor Molly and poor you.

Hope things improve now. Sending healing vibes x

Molly just won't stay on the heat pad:( I have put it underneath her blankie and it definitely isn't too hot. I put her on and she hops off and we repeat the exercise. The vet lent me a heat pad as he said it is important she maintains her temperature. I could put her in a carrier and then she would have to stay on the pad but I know that would totally stress her out. She isn't moving much but is using each end of the pen. I have had one very tiny, but perfectly formed, dropping:):)

She is nibbling at food so I haven't syringe fed her yet. I guess I should do but we both hate it and I don't want to stress her so much she stops eating naturally again.

I am going to go to bed but keep checking on her throughout the night. I need to get some sleep as I am shattered and have to work tomorrow morning at least. She still seems quite sleepy and has had a big op.

So relieved to have her home.

Back