• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam and Diarrhoea?/ UD post 23

Had a long chat with the vet, but unfortunately not all of it went in :oops:

elwood decided to wee on my lap literally 2 seconds before the vet rang so I answered the phone with wee running up my arm and feeling like I had wet myself :roll: Very distracting :shock:

The x-rays did not show any obvious tumours but they can't be ruled out at this stage. They did show that her stomach is impacted with food and enlarged and her caecum is very distended with gas. But what none of us can understand is how she is so bright and eating normally :? She should, given the x-ray results, be collapsed in agony :? she is also still passing liquid diarrhoea.

We don't know what has caused these problems at the moment and faecal samples are being collected over the next 3 days to be sent off for analysis. Her intestines look normal, no thickening or inflammation and no bloat. all we can do is treat the symptoms so she is staying in to try to move the food and gas and to stay on fluid therapy for the diarrhoea.

X-rays also showed arthritis in her hips and spine which we know is causing her pain :(

Because of all her problems it is becoming very hard to identify which behaviours/symptoms are related to which problem. we are also concerned that the stress of this new illness will bring on another fit, and they are not nice :(

I can ring again this evening for an update :)

:( Thinking of you all. Has Roxy had to stay in overnight? :( xXx

Yes, she needs constant fluids for the diarrhoea, and they want to monitor whats comes out of her over night and get a faecal sample first thing in the morning. I am hoping she will come home after that but I guess it depends if any food or gas has shifted :?

:( I hope your bun gets better soon. Atleast if she seems fairly normal in herself she can't be in that much pain?

I don't know if this helps at all, but my collie dog has been having metacam every day for about 3 months as he has bad arthritis. Nothing has changed over the past few months, his diet, exercise, treats etc have all stayed the same, but we find that for no particular reason, he'll have diarrhea every now and again, so we give him a bit less food to settle his stomach, then he's fine again. I don't know if it could be his age or because of his problems, but saw the word metacam and thought of Deefer!

Back