• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet my new 3some!!! U/D on Lucy- see post 72. been to vets

I do hope she everything works out well shes a beauty and has really landed on her paws with you. xxxxxxxx

I do hope she everything works out well shes a beauty and has really landed on her paws with you. xxxxxxxx

thanks.:oops:

with all the things i have done 'wrong' or 'different'' i just felt like a bit of an idiot but its sometimes easy to feel like a dufus with all the great minded folk on here- but i probably know more about rabbits than 99.9% of the population- as do most members on here- so yeah... i guess i cant go too wrong...

thanks.:oops:

with all the things i have done 'wrong' or 'different'' i just felt like a bit of an idiot but its sometimes easy to feel like a dufus with all the great minded folk on here- but i probably know more about rabbits than 99.9% of the population- as do most members on here- so yeah... i guess i cant go too wrong...

Your heart is in the right place and you care that stands for a lot. xxx

You have done the right thing and have NOT failed her. Dont think about pregnancy, you have seperated her just in case but just wait and see. You will probably go to the vets tomorrow and they will say all is ok and you can continue the bond - if thats what you have decided to do - dont panic over something you dont know (easier said than done i know)...

Lucy is gorgeous - she has got a podgy belly but that might just be how she is! (im prone to a podgy belly too :oops:) Your bond started well so I think they will be fine x

yeah, have discussed w/ my other half...

if she is pregnant we will raise them... in the bathroom.... lol...

im sure there will be people on here wanting baby ''show breed'' quality baby mini lops... lol

Hehehe yay! I've been reading this thread like reading a book! And I'm so happy you're going to raise them yourself :D It's like a little happy ending for me haha. I feel the kits are better with you. If you take them to the garden centre they may not rehome them as well as you could as you obviously care about rabbits, and also, they might take some of the kits and breed them when they're still really young like your new bun.

Oh oh and have you thought of a name yet? How about Misty? Or umm, Bella, oooor ummm oh I'm usually much better at this :roll:

I would always be careful with unneutered females. They can suddenly turn very hormonal and aggressive.

If anyone else does a similar thing, please keep the new bunny separate from your other bunnies for at least 2 weeks, and have them checked over by a vet. I would even wait a month, if it is a female, just to make sure she isn't pregnant. And some illnesses are not obvious, and some bunnies can be carriers without showing symptoms. Plus the bunny will be stressed from being moved into new unfamiliar surroundings, so adding a bonding on top of that isn't really ideal

Who looks after your bunnies, while you are on holiday? I would not rebond them until you are back, even if Lucy isn't pregnant. You need to be able to supervise them for a few days and nights. Good luck!

I've been following your new addition but I haven't wanted to post because I can't offer any proper or real advice about anything :oops:

I do care though and I'm very much interested. She's really landed on her feet with you and I know you'll try your best to give her the best life possible so don't feel like you've failed her :)

I hope she's not knocked up and is just a bit fat! One thing though - maybe stay away from garden centres from now on ;)

Hi,

Took Lucy to the vets today, she has been fine in her health, really come out of herself on her own- really lively and friendly.

Few Soggy poos but put that down to change in diet possibly- stressful move etc.

Vets had a feel of her and said they CAN feel a mass in her uteris.

The vet said its very small, either a new pregnancy or a single baby or something else......

so - i booked her in for a spay first thing in the morning to remove the 'mass'

i then called the garden centre- they seemed shocked :evil::evil::evil:but said 'if she is pregnant- we will have her back- then we can sell the babies and you can get an exchange..........."

To which I LET RIP TOTALLY!!!! "A RABBIT IS NOT A PAIR OF JEANS, ITS NOT A T SHIRT, ITS NOT AN OBJECT YOU CAN JUST EXCHANGE- THEY COME WITH EMOTIONS AND A BOND AND I AM NOT BRINGING HER BACK I WILL PAY FOR THE OP MYSELF IF I HAVE TOO......"

they said, 'Dont be defensive, we have her best interests at heart' then they said they would ring the breeder- then call me back..............

I got a phonecall off them 15 minutes later- the breeder told them that he tried to 'mate' her a month ago.......but two weeks ago she started fur pulling - which he 'KNOWS' means she has miscarried.............because she was 'no good' for breeding- he gave her to the pet shop in hope the miscarried kits would dissolve in the womb........:censored::censored:

So, I told the garden centre that it would have been nice to know this before...........they said he never even told them........ i calmed down a bit but got angry again when she said "INSTEAD OF HAVING THE OP TOMORROW, WHY DONT YOU WAIT A WEEK TO SEE IF SHE HAS THE BABY IF IT IS ALIVE"

To which I replied "ARE YOU ADVISING ME TO LEAVE WHAT MAY BE A DEAD BABY INSIDE THIS RABBIT FOR ANOTHER WEEK?"

she said ''of course not'- im just giving you options"

any how- I digress..............

shes booked in tomorrow and the Garden Centre- (Credit to them) have agreed to pay £75 towards the vet fee and extend her 'warranty'

It just annoys me- when I got her they said "the breeder is respectible, he only has one litter then rehomes them so they can have a good life as a pet"

not "she is no good for breeding so he gave her up for sale"

poor mite......... if i would have known all this I certainly wouldnt have attempted a bond.........

cracking on with the op, there is a chance it is one baby- due to go full term in the next week- but even if she carries full term I think the stress she has been through now she will not look after it anyway.........

soz for the rant

me and OH have talked, and thought about bonding her as a house bunny with Earl if after her op the girls still dont accept her.

Last edited:
Honestly I would have waited before putting her with two other rabbits. I would have spayed her first, because we know that a rabbit can change its smell after an op at the vet's and the other rabbits may not be able to recognize her. Then I would have let the rabbits smell each other through bars to make sure there was no aggressive behavior.
However, the bonding seems to be going fine (chasing and fur pulling are quite normal the first days), so no, you didn't fail this bunny.
About her possible pregnancy, doesn't the vet have a way to see if the kit is still alive, like an ultrasound? If she is in an advanced state of pregnancy, a spay could put her at risk because she might bleed a lot. Of course if you suspect she miscarried whatever is in there must be removed as soon as possible. Is there no sure way to know?

Honestly I would have waited before putting her with two other rabbits. I would have spayed her first, because we know that a rabbit can change its smell after an op at the vet's and the other rabbits may not be able to recognize her. Then I would have let the rabbits smell each other through bars to make sure there was no aggressive behavior.
However, the bonding seems to be going fine (chasing and fur pulling are quite normal the first days), so no, you didn't fail this bunny.
About her possible pregnancy, doesn't the vet have a way to see if the kit is still alive, like an ultrasound? If she is in an advanced state of pregnancy, a spay could put her at risk because she might bleed a lot. Of course if you suspect she miscarried whatever is in there must be removed as soon as possible. Is there no sure way to know?

No, but the vet said it was a very small mass she only felt it at the last minute so dont think its a full grown kit

This possibly won't go down well, but if the breeder mated her a month ago, the baby/ies are going to be nearly on their way (I *think* rabbit pregnancy lasts about 30 days). Are you sure you want to get her spayed and loose them? I can understand doing an emergency spay on a bunny that's only recently become pregnant, but it seems likely that these babies are going to be nearly fully formed and I don't think that I personally would be able to go through with that. :oops: It'd be kind of like a person having an abortion at eight months I guess. :oops:

Is there any way the vet can do some sort of scan to see how well grown the babies are? Or check that it definately is babies and not something else? Also can the garden centre tell you how long they'd had her in for and if she'd come into contact with any male rabbits since the breeder tried to mate her?

This is my opinion entirely of course, but I'm also wondering what sort of problems it'd cause for your bunny to have babies that have been growing for a month removed. They'd be pretty big. I don't know how the vet would manage to get them out without damaging her. :(

Personally once all is said and done, i would actually bond her with Earl anyway, the other bunnies have each other, Im sure Earl would love a girlfriend :)

Hope she will be okay and everything goes okay from now on x

Then I reckon a spay is probably for the best. She will need to stay alone and quiet for a while as it is quite a big op for a bunny. Prepare yourself to syringe feed because there's a chance she'll need it...
By the way, she's a beautiful bunny. Inconsiderate breeder, to let her go before he was 100% sure she wasn't pregnant...

This possibly won't go down well, but if the breeder mated her a month ago, the baby/ies are going to be nearly on their way (I *think* rabbit pregnancy lasts about 30 days). Are you sure you want to get her spayed and loose them? I can understand doing an emergency spay on a bunny that's only recently become pregnant, but it seems likely that these babies are going to be nearly fully formed and I don't think that I personally would be able to go through with that. :oops: It'd be kind of like a person having an abortion at eight months I guess. :oops:

Is there any way the vet can do some sort of scan to see how well grown the babies are? Or check that it definately is babies and not something else? Also can the garden centre tell you how long they'd had her in for and if she'd come into contact with any male rabbits since the breeder tried to mate her?

This is my opinion entirely of course, but I'm also wondering what sort of problems it'd cause for your bunny to have babies that have been growing for a month removed. They'd be pretty big. I don't know how the vet would manage to get them out without damaging her. :(

I have talked with her at length about it today, she is the vet who amputated noodles leg she is the rabbit saavy vet at the practise I use, I trust her totally so will leave it to her. She will know more tomorrow im sure.

Then I reckon a spay is probably for the best. She will need to stay alone and quiet for a while as it is quite a big op for a bunny. Prepare yourself to syringe feed because there's a chance she'll need it...
By the way, she's a beautiful bunny. Inconsiderate breeder, to let her go before he was 100% sure she wasn't pregnant...

I know, I couldnt believe it when he said there was a 'chance' she could be pregnant..........

Twig only went through a spay last month and noodles amputation the month before so I expect to have to feed her that way if needs be. :) Got no problem with that

Im sure the vet wont put her under any unnecessary harm, maybe they could scan her first before any procedures are done to find out what this mass is, i hope all goes well for you all shes a lovely bun, god knows where she might have ended up if not for you. xxxx

Back