• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matt-u/d he's gone-u/d-vets thoughts p226

Aw, you're welcome sweetie :) He was a bonny laddie :love:
I love the ones that are close up to his face too, the first is precious and the ones where he's lying by the pink disc and the blue bucket (not sure what either of those items are)
I'm so glad he came home to you so quickly, it was nice of the crem to bring him to you. :) I wish we had something similar here.
Bless you. xxxx

Aw, you're welcome sweetie :) He was a bonny laddie :love:
I love the ones that are close up to his face too, the first is precious and the ones where he's lying by the pink disc and the blue bucket (not sure what either of those items are)
I'm so glad he came home to you so quickly, it was nice of the crem to bring him to you. :) I wish we had something similar here.
Bless you. xxxx

he really was beautiful inside and out. :love:

:lol: the pink thing is an ice pod and the other thing is the parasol base (for their pink umbrella! :oops:)

we are lucky to have that crematorium near us. it has such a good reputation and it's up in the hills. it's really lovely and peaceful. :love::love: it was really lovely of them to bring matt back sooner. :love:

xxx

I really can't take too much credit for the photo...it was biscandmatt's picture and the program I used is just a matter of grabbing the area with the cursor and clicking the mouse...bingo! I have no idea how it actually works :lol: but it's made quite a few of my questionable photographs look pretty decent. ;)

i've had an email from the vet. it involves some info regarding what happened after matt passed so if you would be upset then perhaps don't read on.

Dear Lea,

Firstly, I am sorry for your loss and understand what a difficult time this must be for you all. I will try to answer as many of your questions as best as I can, but unfortunately too also have to question the actual cause behind his sudden turn for the worse.

His blood results indicated a severe anaemia. It was of the regenerative type which mean that it was either due to blood loss (internal haemorrhage or bleeding out through his digestive tract) or from blood break down (like an internal “attack” on hi own cells faster than he was able to produce them). Essentially he did not have enough blood in his system – which is what prompted us to initiate Oxyglobin, the blood substitute.

Unfortunately, the cause of either of these possibilities is unknown, but as you mentioned it is possible that there was a rupture somewhere (possibly associated with the swelling felt in his stomach). I speculate this because you mention he bled from his digestive tract – this is uncommon, even with a blood transfusion as the digestive tract is a separate (closed off) system and I would not expect blood to enter/exit from here – even after death. It is also possible that he has a “clotting disorder” and was unable to coagulate his blood correctly and therefore continued to bleed. Unfortunately I cannot answer this question any further.

The “mass” you ask about was his stomach – and it is normal to be able to “press into” this. I do not think it was a pool of blood, but rather highly dehydrated food material in his stomach. Normally it has a “doughy” feel to it, and Matts was much firmer than it should have been. It is possible that this is only a secondary finding to dehydration due to a more serious problem – or simply from not eating well for a while.

I am sorry that you didn’t get a chance to visit with him before his passing. I can assure you that we tried our best to keep him with us, and I do believe that had we not attempted with a blood transfusion his chances of survival would have been far less. As we spoke about Matt did suffer from something quite serious – although I don’t believe contagious to your other rabbit – however, without having performed a post mortem I cannot come any closer to the cause behind his illness.

I hope this answers some of your questions, but if you have more please don’t hesitate to contact me again.

All the best,

Michelle

it seems that we were along the right lines with what happened. :cry:

I think you and the vets did everything possible for him, which was the right thing to do. The photos are lovely :love: sending more hugs xx

I hope you take comfort in the fact you did do everything for him and your vet did too. It's easy to blame yourself when you lose a pet thinking what if I'd done this, but I think you covered everything so have no reason to feel guilty. Matt was very lucky to have such a thoughtful and caring owner.

Aww, just read the whole thread. I'm so sorry you lost Matt.
i think you did everything right, you saw him the night before he passed, all together the four of you. He went when he was ready, he knew he was loved so much.
He had a perfect life with you from start to finish :love:

As you know, I also think that both you & the vet did everything possible. no one could have done more. It's all been so sudden & so more difficult to come to terms with, because there wasn't time to prepare yourself.
I think that rabbits are the most amazing companions, each with their individual very strong & unique personalities. There is something very special about the relationships they give to us.

So yes, when they pass there is a huge "hole" in our lives, an emptiness, & it can take quite some time to come to terms with it. We all grieve in different ways. It can take us all by surprise, (do I know it with Thumper!). It takes it's own time, & is more painful the more special the relationship has been.

I think that it's so important to stand in reality. Feeling guilt is so common, but it's so important to really understand & grasp that we did everything we could. Even that can take time & be quite a struggle.
I think that the most difficult thing for those of us who know our rabbits is that the majority of people who haven't had this priviledge, can't begin to understand why we should grieve for them.
Let me reassure you that we do grieve, & deeply, yet hold out the hope for you, that as time passes & the process works through, the numbness, emptiness, & pain slowly diminish, to be replaced by lovely memmories. Never forgotten, & always loved.

it's really hit me today. i woke up and immediately burst into tears, and earlier i just couldn't stop crying. :cry: i just can't believe this at all. how did this happen. he was fine one minute and then it all just happened so quickly and now he is gone. :cry: he's really gone hasn't he :cry:

Back